Brisbane International

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brisbane International

Andy Murray will kick off his 2012 season playing in the Brisbane International and will face Kazakhstan's Mikhail Kukushkin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16372414.stm

Not sure if I like the sound of that treatment on a knee injury before the season has even started. No

Best of luck to Andy.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Brisbane International :: Comments

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 18:52 by Guest

Check out

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2012/01/Brisbane/Brisbane-2012-Murray-Ferry-Feature.aspx?utm_source=ATPMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ATP%20World%20Tour%20Insider%2052%20-%20December%2031%202011%20%282%29

I see the knee is taped but in the interview he doesn't even mention it.

I hop Ivan knows a good Barber in OZ for Andy Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 19:16 by Jubbahey

He's got a funny knee cap tendon from birth if I remember, split in two, which makes it tighter than normal.

I wonder if the problem lies in that dept ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 20:44 by Guest

He can't be too worried about it, he is playing doubles as well - first match tomorrow, last on the main court. He partners Baggy against Nishikori and Giraldo.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 12:23 by Guest

Andy's first New Year win (lets hope its the first of many)

Brisbane International
RESULTS - SUNDAY, 1 JANUARY, 2012
Doubles - First Round
M Baghdatis (CYP) / A Murray (GBR) d S Giraldo (COL) / K Nishikori (JPN) 62 62

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 13:37 by Guest

Bit of a tough opener but he won in the end, shake off those rusty swings Very Happy overcoming fitness concerns according to BBC website (lower back and trainer called to remove strapping from the knee)
Andy seems to have shrugged it off though that his body was more looser as the match went on.
A Murray 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 M Kukushkin

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 15:26 by Guest

A bit concerned re trainer and possible injuries but as you say he seems to have recovered for the last two sets.

Onward and upwards.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 17:26 by Jubbahey

We can forgive him a bit of rustiness after gorging himself over Xmas and New Year.

Next up another wannabee, Gilles Muller. Andy will have to be careful, this guy has been improving his rank since 2009, he's 28, but he could be dangerous if allowed a look in.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Gilles-Muller.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 17:31 by Jubbahey

I reckon Nishkori will beat Baggy, so if Murray can get past Muller in 2, he will have to get his B+ game back in order as Nishi is R25 and lost to Federer at Basle last year in the final, so he can play with the best, he's also beaten Djokovic and Berdych in 2011 too.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 18:41 by Guest

Not a great performance by Andy with a first set surely blighted with rustiness but he came through in the end. Still worrying to hear he had to have treatment on that knee mid-match. Still a win is a win.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 13:11 by Guest

Andy beat Muller 4-6 7-6(4) 6-0.

Big swing from the 1st to the 3rd set!

I guess he took a while to warm up teehee

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:39 by Guest

Yes I never saw either of Andy's matches but it would seem that today was an improvement on yesterday's win.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 16:30 by Guest

I only saw the last set, so it was hardly an indication of how the first two went!

Baggy beat Nishikori, so Andy will play his doubles partner next. Their doubles is tomorrow but no sign of the singles, it must be Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 18:35 by Guest

Win No. 2 in 2012 Very Happy wonder if Andy stepped it up in the 3rd set, or Muller self destructed, I'm off to read up on the match report.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:12 by Guest

Andy and Baggy lost their doubles match today so now they can concentrate on trying to beat each other tomorrow Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:38 by Guest

Here is a good link for those (like me) that wont be staying up at 2-00am Friday for his match against Baggy

http://www.youtube.com/user/brisbanetennis#p/u/7/Kw83dP6-Cow

It will put up this match - also available is his last one against Muller + v Mikhail Kukushkin.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 18:22 by Guest

dogood Cheers BOO, I may just stay up and watch this, seeing as I'm off the weekend

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 18:36 by Guest

Cheers for the link Boo. Fingers crossed that Andy's improvement will continue.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 20:09 by Guest

Don't know if goes live on youtube as it happens but if not I think it will be on Bet365 ( I had to put down £10! Last year to subscribe, if you don't already!)

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 21:00 by Jubbahey

Yeah, it cost me ten quid too, still might put that as a bet on Murray winning wimble this year!

Actually, it was £5 !! DOH!

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 11:01 by Guest

So Andy demolished Baggy 6-2 6-2 - the first time he has beaten him in straight sets. H2H is now a much more satisfactory 3-3 Smile

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 6 Jan 2012 - 15:36 by Guest

A very encouraging performance by Andy Murray today and looks like he is getting into his stride now. Bring on Tomic.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 8:08 by Guest

Andy into his first final of 2012 watched by his new coach. The star pupil put on a very good display for a past master. If this is the effect after 1 day bring on Oz Very Happy BTW he plays The Dog in the final, who beat Simon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 8:41 by Guest

To be honest I don't think we'll see any immediate effect from Lendl's coaching/advising for a few weeks yet. Perhaps say the spring. Anything we get from Andy just now is what is already there. A fine performance today against one of the best young prospects around at the moment. He was firmly put in his place with Murray running out a 6-3 6-2 winner. Now onto the final.....

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 9:45 by Guest

I hope the Brisbane site put up the full match on video again. I can't cope with middle-of-the-nighters - and 5am is middle of the night to me!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum