Andy Murray Names Ivan Lendl As His New Coach

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Andy Murray Names Ivan Lendl As His New Coach

Great news has just broke that Andy Murray has appointed Ivan Lendl as his new full-time coach. A great appointment in my opinion as Lendl was one of the greats of the game in the 1980's and like Andy Murray suffered a number of slam final defeats before turning that around to win many slams. Hopefully, he can pass on the sercret to Andy Murray and get him playing an all-round more aggressive game.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Andy Murray Names Ivan Lendl As His New Coach :: Comments

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 16:13 by Guest

This could be the key hopefully to open up that elusive Slam door

Ivan was 24 years old before he got his first and I think that he also might just be the right person to stop Andy from downing himself on court when things aren't going his way which to my mind is his biggest problem as he has the talent for sure.

Lets all hope that this works out fine

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 16:24 by Guest

It could be a career-changing appointment. On court Lendl always struck me as someone who stood for no nonsense and hopefully he can instill some of that bloody-mindedness into Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 16:31 by Guest

This is long overdue. I'm very happy about this news.
Lendl has a lot to offer, lets hope Andy will listen, I'm sure since he's finally made the move he's ready to make the big leap forward

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 16:34 by Guest

Yes I am very happy as well and like I say Lendl learnt the hard way what it takes to win a slam after several disappointments. Lets hope he can guide Andy in the same way to success.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 18:46 by Jubbahey

Fantastic news.

I'm so glad that Murray has taken the plunge and gone for somebody that he respects highly and will obviously take homage from Lendl's slam experience.

Only good can come from this union IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 20:42 by Guest

My favourite player of years ago, coaching my current favourite player. How good can it get? And who should understand Andy's problems better than Ivan?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 31 Dec 2011 - 23:33 by Jubbahey

I see a few peeps on V2 look upon this decision as wrong, given that there is an opinion that a slam winner does not = making more slam winners.

I think this is a little short sighted, Murray isnt looking for a complete turn around of his game a la Lendl style, I would have thought an employment of this kind is more geared towards finesse and mental hardening of his mettle. Personally, I can think of no-one better suited to bring the one thing that Murray lacks, self confidence/mental focus at those crucial points in a slam when it really matters. One look across to his corner and seeing his mentor glaring back at him may put him in the right frame of mind.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 9:33 by Guest

Yes maybe he should have hired a 606v2 expert (looks like there are quite a few!) instead of Lendl.

Could have saved himself a fortune

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 20:10 by Jubbahey

Coach, Mentor, whatever, it seems many V2'ers think he's going to teach Andy to play 1980's tennis style, with wooden racquets.

Not sure where the confusion lies, unless its the usual base hate, but all I can see from this venture with Lendl is honing of skills, not a restructure or rehab of Murrays talents.

If it goes deep, in coaching terms, then all he can do is fine tune some of his shots, there's no point trying to change grip etc, as this will take too long and alienate his natural game. I can only see Ivan giving Andy his insight into Lendl's strengths, attitude and focus and the implementation of this in slams. Lets not forget, mental strength can be made stronger by practice and/or coaching, as many top sportsman can confirm.

Lendl's commitment to gain superiority through sheer hard work is legendary, as was his ability to shut out the outside world and focus entirely on the game. I hope that intensity will be something that Ivan can bring to Murray's game, as I see it as the only thing standing in Murray's way.

One supreme example of this lack was the Wimbledon 2011 match against Nadal. One shot and his inability to refocus his mind gave Rafa the edge, Andy's self belief and confidence buckled, the rest is history.

Every player has become a slam winner from different roads and directions, Lendl managed to turn his game around and become a slam winner and it took Alexis Castori, a Florida psychologist to help him along the way.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 20:36 by Guest

Fantastic news!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 22:24 by Jubbahey

A rare insight into the life of Ivan.

Peculiar similarities between Murray and Lendl are all there, particularly parts 4 and 5 and what may happen with this union between them.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=186723

An interesting read nonetheless.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 1 Jan 2012 - 22:33 by Jubbahey

So......it was Wojtek Fibak that got Lendl his steel mind (although a lot of it was already ingrained by his mum) and his 1st slam at the FO, then Roche took over and he went on too win many more.

Interesting.......can't wait to see how Lendl's influence tallies up at the end of the day.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 2 Jan 2012 - 10:43 by Guest

Ivan's take on his new appointment

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/7406009/

Positive stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 2 Jan 2012 - 15:17 by Guest

Fab news. Now Andy has someone in his corner with a steely stare who can give Uncle Tony a run for his money clap

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 2 Jan 2012 - 15:30 by Jubbahey

Thats good to see, Lendl accepting that Murray needs as much help as he did.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 10 Mar 2012 - 14:50 by Jubbahey

About 10% of me remains sceptical or rather its the latent pessimist in me that keeps nudging me in the direction of failure. Its fear, and I suppose the budding sportsman in me also feels scared that Murray may not reach the pinnacle of his career with a slam, even with Lendl onboard, there has always been a nagging doubt, though small, but there nontheless, that Murray's mental anguish won't dissipate at the one time he needs great strength, those moments in a slam when he needs to be ruthless with his respect for the other player. Its what they refer to as the killer instinct, the ability to show no remorse in putting a player down with a head shot, an inner vicious attitude to show no mercy. Its not personal, but it has to be direct and in the other players face and relentless.

Does Andy advertise this aspect of his game with enough gusto to put doubt into his opponents mind to gain the upper ground at significant stages of slam finals ? not completely IMO, but hopefully with Ivan's help, he will steel himself better at those moments he needs to shine.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 22:10 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:About 10% of me remains sceptical or rather its the latent pessimist in me that keeps nudging me in the direction of failure. Its fear, and I suppose the budding sportsman in me also feels scared that Murray may not reach the pinnacle of his career with a slam, even with Lendl onboard, there has always been a nagging doubt, though small, but there nontheless, that Murray's mental anguish won't dissipate at the one time he needs great strength, those moments in a slam when he needs to be ruthless with his respect for the other player. Its what they refer to as the killer instinct, the ability to show no remorse in putting a player down with a head shot, an inner vicious attitude to show no mercy. Its not personal, but it has to be direct and in the other players face and relentless.

Does Andy advertise this aspect of his game with enough gusto to put doubt into his opponents mind to gain the upper ground at significant stages of slam finals ? not completely IMO, but hopefully with Ivan's help, he will steel himself better at those moments he needs to shine.

Has your opinion changed now on Ivan Lendl?

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 14:59 by Jubbahey

Well, 6 months on and Lendl has given Andy enough belief in himself to enable the killer instinct in him, but is he yet at the pinnacle of his abilities, enough to stamp his authority on a game of this magnitude ?

It will all become apparent tonight, but I for one do not subscribe to statistical comparisons of careers to predict the future. If he does not win tonight, I will still be impressed with Murray's new mindset and I fully expect him to play close to his best this evening, which is all anyone can ask.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum