Murray Out Of Slovakia Tie

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murray Out Of Slovakia Tie

Andy Murray has today announced he has pulled out of GB's next Davis Cup tie at home to Slovakia. He has pulled out for 'injury concerns' in what he rightly lists as a crucial year what wth the slams and Olympics which he wants to stay fit for. Wise move if you ask me as GB are going nowhere in this competition anyway.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Murray Out Of Slovakia Tie :: Comments

Post on Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 20:15 by Jubbahey

Well, here we are again, a pivotal point CC.

GB without Murray trying to beat another poor mans tennis nation.

Ward should do OK, hopefully, but Evans ?, lets hope he shows some balls, otherwise its down to our doubles team to show their mettle.

I hope Murray turns up to show support, I know its a contentious issue, but this time, he doesnt really have an excuse and its only ten days away.

Of course it might make no difference, the last time we played them with Tim Henman in the team, we lost 5 love.

History repeats itself sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 20:57 by Guest

I think he hints at the reason as somewhere he is quoted as saying he has injury concerns in what is a very important season. Now I would say he has niggles but with this being seen by many people as a big year for him with slam chances and the Olympics then the last thing he needs to do is play in a Davis Cup tie (which we may still lose) and run the risk of qworsening any niggles. It is just not worth it in a competition that GB have no chance of ever winning until we have another world class singles player.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 0:00 by Guest

At least of the players we could pick, Dan Evans is in form - he has just qualified for the ATP 250 in Zagreb.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 21:18 by Jubbahey

You may have misread my reply CC, I meant show up to support only, as in his presence there.

I do wholly agree that it is better he sits this out, again, what are we going to achieve by playing Murray, who'd be in at least two matches, if not 3, to make sure of going through, and like you say, its not worth the risk, not at what could become his only chance to secure a 1st slam.

Next year it will be more difficult for him IMO, there are a few players coming in who could cause upsets at slams, and Andy needs one in the basket before that happens.

We are where we are in the DC because of our lack of top pros, not rocket scientist will argue with that.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 21:26 by Jubbahey

Decrepitude wrote:At least of the players we could pick, Dan Evans is in form - he has just qualified for the ATP 250 in Zagreb.

He's just lost a well fought match against Lopez, 4-6, 6-1, 1-6.

As far as I can tell Dec, he is in the team, along with Ward, Fleming and Hutchins.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 8 Feb 2012 - 18:04 by Guest

I've got tickets for the full weekend and looking forward to it. I'm hopeful Wardy can pull off 1 or 2 wins (yes I know its a big ask) but the doubles should be a win for Hutchins/Fleming going by the form book. If Evans gets on the scoreboard yoou just never know. I would like to see Andy turning up to support the team and he might just do it too. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 9 Feb 2012 - 20:37 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:I've got tickets for the full weekend and looking forward to it. I'm hopeful Wardy can pull off 1 or 2 wins (yes I know its a big ask) but the doubles should be a win for Hutchins/Fleming going by the form book. If Evans gets on the scoreboard yoou just never know. I would like to see Andy turning up to support the team and he might just do it too. Very Happy

I thought Andy was out in Miami but as he was in Edinburgh yesterday (Thursday) there is every chance he may make an appearance.

I was going to go but to be honest with Andy not taking part and the fact that it's being televised I will watch some of it from home.

Hope you have a good time and let's hope that GB gets a good result.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 18:48 by Guest

I told you Dan Evans was in form Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 19:48 by Guest

Decrepitude wrote:I told you Dan Evans was in form Very Happy

Indeed. Impressive win for Dan Evans and hopefully it will give him real belief and he can use this win to develop further in the sport and climb the rankings.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 10 Feb 2012 - 21:34 by Jubbahey

Great win for Dan, missed it though.

watched a lot of the Ward match except the 1st set. thankfully

Seems to lose focus at different times and let the other guy in tonight, played some good fightback games, but lost his serve in the 3rd when he shouldn't have, too many soft errors and that was prob the turning point against him, which was one of many, but the slovak guy did well to keep coming back too.

I felt Ward was the better player, but allowed himself to lose confidence at crucial moments, esp on the slovak's (can't remember his name) 2nd serve, when he went the right way, but netted the return which was comparatively easy in essence.

Still, a good doubles match tomorrow may well see who wins this contest overall, as don't see us taking both matches on Sunday. Its a shame as on paper I think Ward should have won tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 7:15 by Guest

Well Ward should definitely of at least taken the match to five sets. He was coasting at 4-1 up in the fourth set and as you say Jubba lost focus and lost the match in a fourth set tie-break.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 9:40 by Guest

Great to see Dan get the win, he played exceptionally well, his attacking style, took Lacko by surprise who seemed unable to cope with Dan's erratic and unpredictable play. I do think though that Lacko's exerts last week in Zagreb took their toll, he definitely looked a step slower than his opponent. A little disappointed that Wardy couldn't get the win as it was there for the taking, but his opponent played better at critical points, whilst James's form seemed to rise and dip consistently. I am optimistic that Ross and Colin will get the win today and am looking forward to seeing the match, but their opponents cannot be underestimated, Polasek (21) especially whose doubles ranking is higher than Colin (28) and Ross (37) but who are in better form. Should be a good match up. I wouldn't be confident of winning the two rubbers on Sunday, unless Lacko turns up in much the same mood as he was yesterday, then Wardy should have enough to take the win. Which brings us back to Dan, can he do the double, lets hope so Very Happy
The crowd have also played a large part with the noise they are generating and support for the home team, it must be pretty daunting for the Slovakian team who seem a little rankled and bemused by it teehee

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 10:33 by Guest

Shows the huge gulf between Andy and James who is after all GB's No.2!

I cannot see him or anyone else from GB qualifying for any tour events in the near future.

If Dan could maintain the level he played at yesterday there may be some hope but unless James can improve looks like Andy will be on his own for sometime.

Anyway good luck to the doubles today and maybe if they win Dan or James can pull it off on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 17:30 by Jubbahey

Sadly, I agree BOO, Ward should have wrapped that match up, he was the better player overall, but not on the important points and that smacks of un-confidence, which he really has to get above if he wants to go further into Masters and slam qualies. Its a shame as he seemed to have reached another level at Queens last year, then it all went pear shaped, maybe over-confidence was to blame with all the extra hype from the media etc.

Dan has always shown he has the ability, but again seemed to lack confidence in the big games, a bit like Boggo in some aspects of his game. If he can play well tomorrow, then he may just get the idea that he has the skills necessary to go further than he believes.

Good win for the Hutchings pair, although that 6-0 was atrocious, bad tactical and shot making decisions, quite why they insisted to go the I shape when the Slovaks had worked it out in the break to go down the line every time is strange. Or stupid, take your pick.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 18:08 by Guest

To be fair I think there has been a great improvement since Leon Smith took over from Lloyd but I suppose you could say it couldn't really have got any worse the difference being Leon seems to be motivating them!

Surely they can get one win out of two tomorrow's two matches - fingers crossed.

Saw some of the USA matches against a player coming to the end of his career and an out of form Wawrinka !

Don't know if you are aware or not but I think that raiders of the lost ark on v2 ( who continually berates Andy ) is an American - little need to when you see how bad there players are - going on about how good Isner is! - to date he has won 3No. 250 events at 26 years old - big deal!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 18:32 by Jubbahey

There certainly is a dirge of players from across the pond, but who have they really had as a role model in the last ten years ?? I suppose Agassi and Roddick have become the last vestiges of any kind of tennis pro that has made their mark. But in doing so, all past their sell by date.

Maybe it is a good time for GB to take on the USA in the DC, we may stand a better chance of beating them, than when we last played them with Henman and Courier facing off. (joking)

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 11:05 by Guest

Day 3 Davis Cup Action. Who would have given us a chance of leading 2-1 going into the final day. I think Wardy will be up for this seeing as his team mates have got a win each. Unfortunately Lacko may also be just as up for this after his dismal performance on Friday, which may mean that Dan will have to win again. I think he can, mainly as his game is unpredictable and moves his opponent about much more. Nervously optimistic today.

Come on the Brits Uk forever

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 14:45 by Guest

Ward sadly getting annihilated now after a tight first set. Lacko leads 7-6 6-1 and Slovakia look odds on to level it up at 2-2. Britain's hopes rest with Dan Evans.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 15:16 by Jubbahey

I think that was pretty poor show on Lacko's behalf, thinking he needs to play mental games with Ward. Moaning about a point he'd won, and stretching it so as to interrupt Wards service on setpoint down was just gamesmanship, something I thought did not happen in DC.

Seems to have worked though, which highlights a weak side to Wards mentality, lets things like that get to him too easily. Happened on Friday twice and now today.

Still, I don't think we'll see James play better than that 1st set, totally in control of his points and came close to breaking serve a couple of times. Just got unlucky with a net call on two unreturnable returns.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 15:26 by Jubbahey

Oh well, its down to Daniel (hoping it is a case of being thrown into the lions den and coming out unharmed) to keep our heads above water in the euro/africa zone.

Tough, tough call for him, so I wish him the best of luck. If he does win, it'll be a bigger result for him than GB. If he doesnt, I'd still feel like he'd done his job considering ranking position matchups etc.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 15:32 by Guest

On the bright side lets remember that Lacko is their No.1 player and Dan Evans beat him so surely he'll fancy his chances against their lesser player so as to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 15:54 by Jubbahey

Absolutely CC, but like Castle has said (I dont normally listen to him, but he has been on the right note commentating this tournament, which is surprise to me) this guy is a challenger grafter, so I'm waiting for him to fire up yet, but Dan looks to be carrying on from Friday without a break at all.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 16:04 by Jubbahey

5-0 !!!

Way to go, Danny Boy !!

fingers "x" ed......

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 12 Feb 2012 - 16:11 by Jubbahey

Set point to Dan......Set gone to Dan, amazing start. 6-1

I'm happy, but then you can't see what I'm doing !!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum