ATP Dubai 500

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ATP Dubai 500

Post by Guest on Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 15:49

A strong field in this (lucrative) 500, with most of the top 10 playing. Notable absentees are Nadal and Ferrer.

Andy is in Djokovic's half. He plays a qualifier first, next in line is Davydenko or another qualifier. Berdych is the player he is scheduled to meet in the quarters.

It will be very interesting to see what sort of difference Lendl, and maybe Andy himself, has made to his approach: the last 2 years he has been in a terrible slump at this time of the year. I will be very surprised if that is the case this year.

Back to top Go down

Re: ATP Dubai 500

Post by Guest on Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 18:46

Thanks for that, Dec Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 7:41

I do believe that in Dubai in the last two years he has exited at the first hurdle. I can't see that being the case here and look forward to seeing further improvements to Andy's game as Lendl has now had a few weeks to work with Andy.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 13:28

Don't think he played Dubai last year (pulled out late IIRC, which upset a few people). And wasn't two years ago the one where he upset even more people by saying that he "tried out a few things" against Tipsarevic.

Looks like a tough draw for Andy, though Davydenko has fitness issues. Hopefully we can do without the post-AO slump this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 20:46

Of course you are right MadforChelsea. I was thinking more of Andy's post-Australian slump last year. I am very hopeful he won't have the same spectacular slump as last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 12:28

Andy scraped through that 6-3 4-6 6-4

An atrocious spell from Andy in the middle of that match, I started to worry he was going into a post-AO slump again. He picked it up in the end. Let's hope that is the bad match out of the way and he will play better ALL the time from now on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 13:45

I hope so Dec though it'll be good for Andy to get the first competative match since AO out of the way. Can't watch him just now as my Sky doesn't go in until Thursday (moved house), so hopefully he's still in the comp at that stage, then I'll be able to take in some longed for tennis. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 15:11

I don't have Sky (or Eurosport), in fact basically I don't have a tv as my husband hogs it watching stuff I can't stand, so I watch my tennis on livestreams! I pay for tennistv which is expensive but good. Doesn't cover the slams though unfortunately, so I started using rubbish free (and quite possibly illegal) livestreams for the AO, as the Beeb didn't cover it this year. Then I paid for a month's subscription for Eurosport Player, which was pretty good but unfortunately for some reason never had the Nishikori match available to watch later.

Last edited by Decrepitude on Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 15:52; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 15:50

Ah - according to an article on the Dubai site Andy was feeling violently sick during the match. That explains that, then. I hope he recovers very quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Feb 2012 - 13:49

much better from Andy today, hitting the ball pretty crisply off both wings, and the serve looked like it had more pop on it too. Pretty average returning by his standards (missed a lot of returns) but all in all a massive improvement on yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Feb 2012 - 19:02

Decrepitude wrote:Ah - according to an article on the Dubai site Andy was feeling violently sick during the match. That explains that, then. I hope he recovers very quickly.

Watching the match on Sky made me feel sick , but to be fair his opponent probably played some of his best career tennis so it wasn't a pushover for Andy!

Today was a different story and he was never under any real pressure, however he does lack that extra motivation when he plays lower ranked players and appears to make it harder than it really need be.

His next opponent will possibly be Berdych and he will know that he needs to up his game, their last encounter was a hard fought win for Tomas and I would expect a tough match again.

If he wins that one it gets much easier, probably facing Novak lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Feb 2012 - 19:03

BOO wrote:
Decrepitude wrote:Ah - according to an article on the Dubai site Andy was feeling violently sick during the match. That explains that, then. I hope he recovers very quickly.

Watching the match on Sky made me feel sick teehee , but to be fair his opponent probably played some of his best career tennis so it wasn't a pushover for Andy!

Today was a different story and he was never under any real pressure, however he does lack that extra motivation when he plays lower ranked players and appears to make it harder than it really need be.

His next opponent will possibly be Berdych and he will know that he needs to up his game, their last encounter was a hard fought win for Tomas and I would expect a tough match again.

If he wins that one it gets much easier, probably facing Novak lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 29 Feb 2012 - 19:39

Isn't BET365 covering the matches ? they seem to have links to ATP Dubai.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Feb 2012 - 20:53

A better display by Andy today. Lets hope he can crank it up another level for tomorrow against Berdych. Will be able to watch this match as I have a late start at work tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 11:04

Andy Murray took the first set 6-3 without being spectacular but has played the crunch points well. Fingers crossed for a straight sets win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 11:26

Seems to be being troubled with a right knee issue from early in the second set rather worryingly as there is a heck of a lot of flexing going on and clutching at the knee. Murray leads 6-3 3-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 12:05

Andy Murray wins through in straight sets 6-3 7-5 against Tomas Berdych. Still lots to work on and there is no doubt he has a niggling knee problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 13:24

I thought the first set was pretty good TBH, got the early break then just held on to it, upped his game when facing BPs, all fine. Then I went out for lunch, and it seems the second set was a bit more "meh" but he eventually got the job done. I'll take a straight sets win over Berdych any day, and it seems he's improving as the rounds go on, which is what you want to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 15:50

Craig - Post match Sky interview he mentioned the knee but said although at times it was sore it wasn't affecting the tennis.

What a guy - Rafa & Novak would have had MTO's with heavy taping applied to their knees lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 19:08

And lots of panting and deep breaths !

Haven't seen a single match so far Sad

Will have to look through Eurosport to see if there are any highlights.

Who's up next in Murrays firing line ? Djoko I presume ?

Typical, ask a question and answer it by looking at BBC Sport report a minute later, meh

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 19:14

So will it be a gee'd up Murray, firing on all cylinders, giving Novak a tough semi, or will he wait to pounce and take it point by point, shot by shot, tactical like.

Question is, will there be any indications that Lendl has changed his mindset for the big matches yet ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 13:16

The match is underway and Murray holds serve to lead 1-0. Damn going to have to leave for work in half an hour. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 13:35

Murray breaks to lead 4-2 and on that positive note I must go to work. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 16:22

how good was that from Andy Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 16:34

Mad_for_Chelsea wrote:how good was that from Andy Cool

It was brilliant!

Well done Andy

Back to top Go down