Indian Wells Masters Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Indian Wells Masters Cup

Post by Guest on Fri 9 Mar 2012 - 17:38

Andy Murray's next tournament starts on Sunday in Indian Wells. All of the big guns are present such as Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Juan Martin del Potro and the surface historically has been slower than Dubai. Looking forward to this and it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Will Djokovic be back dominating after a failure by his standards in Dubai? How will Rafael Nadal get on in his first tournament for around a month and a half? Will Roger Federer continue his recent winning streak? Time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Re: Indian Wells Masters Cup

Post by Guest on Fri 9 Mar 2012 - 18:32

Bit of a shame the doubles has all the British lads squaring off in the first round, but looking forward to Andy's matches throughout the week Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Mar 2012 - 15:12

Sadly, Andy Murray's match is on at stupid o'clock (4.30 am UK time). Rolling Eyes

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 6:31

A very disappointing result for Andy Murray overnight I am afraid. He has lost in straight sets to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 4-6 2-6. It was not on Sky due to the time so I can't properly judge the performance but it looks like the old chestnut of his first serve letting him down at 48%. I would like to think he was experimenting with parts of his game for the bigger matches that lie ahead but a loss is still a set back. My money now would be on Djokovic to win the tournament as his half has really opened up now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 10:22

Sad but not the end of the World.

He has been there before and bounced back so nothing new - happens to the best from time to time!

Still in the doubles with Jamie so lots of chances to get some practice in and try a few things out, shame it has to be against his fellow Davis Cup mates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 10:46

I wholely agree BOO.

I think it is clear to us all that Andy's game is going through a transitional phase. He is now trying to play far more aggressively and because of this tweaking he is making more unforced errors than if he was persisting with his safety first approach of old. Couple the increased unforced errors along with a very poor first serve percentage today and that means probable defeat if your opponent plays reasonably well which he did. Andy, at the moment, is at a crossroads in a stick or twist situation. Stick with the safety first approach and continue to rack up wins in lesser tournaments but fall short in the slams or twist and go for a more aggressive approach which gives him a greater chance of slam success in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 13:10

Ooh...ouch ! a bad day at the office. Garcia is not a bad player, but that is one match Andy should have won, in the old days.

I agree with both of you, and I was waiting for this to happen, as with all major tweaks, and these are major tweaks, his aggressive forehand and 1st serve coupled with a more attacking style is sure to bring up matches like this, only this time, he isn't going to publicise "testing" new shots to the eventers, as he has got into trouble before.

If you're not 100% comfortable or savvy with the new formulae, then when it goes wrong, it goes wrong spectacularly, which is prob what happened last night. Best to get rid of the wrinkles and iron them out in events like this, I'm sure Andy would rather trade in all his Masters wins for a slam.

Not so much back to the drawing board, but more get the drawings out and look more deeply at them.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 13:15

Thinking further into that performance.....its best to find out your limits, both top end and bottom, early on, its the only way to gauge where you can improve and where your comfort zones are. Then you can push the limits.

I'm sure Lendl wants Andy to pursue a different mind set, but his game has to evolve too to compensate the new regime. He may have a few matches like this, I would have liked him to have gone a few more rounds, but maybe its better to do this now, in only the second event before things begin to get serious.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 14:03

I didn't watch the match.

I'm very disappointed at the result.

With Andy out, my mind is firmly on Cheltenham now for the next week.

Enjoy the rest of Indian Wells, everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 16:14

I'm pretty glad this wasn't on live as I didn't drag myself out of bed. Watching the re-run now on Sky, it just didn't come together on the night. As you have all said it happens to the best of them. Bit disappointed though that Andy couldn't get some ranking points, but hey ho, onwards and upwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 16:41

Watched some of the highlights, but how many chances (break points ) did he have and he didn't convert them!

Not like our Andy, I think he was thinking about something else and his mind wasn't on the job.

Requires some in depth analysis as to what went wrong from Ivan, who will probably be there to watch him at the next tournament in their "home from home town" of Miami - must do better next time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Jan 2013 - 20:43

Seemingly, this will be Andy's next tournament of the season. He is not down for any tournaments in February so it gives him chance to let his blisters heal and get back in shape.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 30 Jan 2013 - 21:53

You rotter CC.......I started reading this as if it was a new article, got to your comment about him losing to Garcia and I went all depressed, then suddenly realised the awful truth, that was last year !!!!

I was a bit stupid thinking he was in a tournie this early after a slam too... lol

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 30 Jan 2013 - 22:46

Sorry Jubba it was either post here or start up a 2013 topic on Indian Wells as that will be Andy's next tournament it is up to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 31 Jan 2013 - 21:02

I can set up a member archive and put all last years forums in there, good idea anyone ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Feb 2013 - 2:15

Yes sounds good to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top