Miami open

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Miami open

Post by Guest on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 19:27

I knew watching Rafa this week he didn't seem right, he did say he had problems with his knee, and he wouldn't want to be facing Andy if he wasn't right the way Andy moves you all over the court. Shame as I have been looking forward to this match all day Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:05

Oh dear, sorry for Rafa, but Andy may well wish he had played, games like this tend to give you a better view of the state of your game, esp as he has changed it somewhat recently, pitting your wits against someone like Nadal is good food for thought and requires a players game to be on song.

But he'll have the highest of tests if Djoko gets through, which I think he will do quite comfortably.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:16

How to get to a final in 3 easy steps,
Bye, win, walkover, win, win, walkover, has this ever happened before????
As Andy just said in his press conference, its been a strange week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:25

Strange for sure, but for Nadal, its almost history repeating itself.

Lost to A Rod in the semi's last year, to Delboy in quarters 2009. He's never won the Miami title, so it has never had an appealing attraction for him lately.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 20:29

Oh well, I'm off, not going to watch the Djoko match, but I will be on chat for the final on Sunday.

I actually hope it is Djokovic, as I fancy Murray's chance against him on this surface.

See you on the Sabbath.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 21:17

I will be gob-smacked if it isn't Djokovic he plays in the final and if he gets another win he'll be building a good head of steam against Novak which bodes well for the slams that lie ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 13:45

Looks like Djoko was pushed in that 2nd set, a tie break that he had to go the distance to win.

But his 1st set must have been something to watch.

Its got to be his biggest challenge for him, playing against Murray, esp with memories of the recent AO semi that went to the line.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 23:26

And the fact that he has never beaten Andy in hard court best-of-3 - or at least, so somebody posted on another forum, I haven't had time to check.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 0:02

He has way back:

2007 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A.
Hard
Djokovic, Novak
6-1, 6-0
2007 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells
CA, U.S.A.
Hard
Djokovic, Novak
6-2, 6-3
2006 ATP Masters Series Madrid
Spain
Hard
Djokovic, Novak
1-6, 7-5, 6-3

But not on a Hardcourt since then in a match of three sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 12:30

This is well worth a watch

Andy is so deadpan - I'd hate to play poker against him! (Well, I can't play poker but you know what I mean)

I'll miss the start of tonight's match but should get here for about 7pm. C'mon Andy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 12:42

Looking forward to this as well. I think it is more important for Andy than Djokovic. I mean a win for Djokovic doesn't mean a lot apart from another Masters win as he will remain No.1 no matter what but a win for Andy gives him back-to-back wins against Novak and builds momentum and belief for the bigger matches that lie ahead for the pair and closes the gap on Federer in the rankings.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 15:06

Been looking forward to this all weekend. Come on Andy, good luck wishes winging there way to you goodluck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 15:13

hawkeye's only just seen that April Fool, pity that the pranks have to end at midday. LOL!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 15:14

1800GMT

I'm starting to get the butterflies already and my palms are a bit sweaty, and thats just me !

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 15:21

Decrepitude wrote:This is well worth a watch

Andy is so deadpan - I'd hate to play poker against him! (Well, I can't play poker but you know what I mean)

rofl Why just limit the serves, those bullet returns from Fed et al should also be looked at rofl Introducing sponge balls now thats a good suggestion, no???

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 17:03

I see the Beeb are up to their old tricks again.

I don't know why, maybe there are still a few dinosaurs left in the editing room who believe that Murray meant his ABE joke, but they insist on portraying him in a bad light continously by publishing "gooner" pics of him in their headlines.

Here's one...
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/59421000/jpg/_59421478_59421477.jpg

Here's another...
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/59421000/jpg/_59421906_59421905.jpg

And that's just from today's production. They've done this many times in the past, I can't think of another player that gets such bad press photos, he's been very accommodating to the media throughout is whole career and I can't remember when he has lambasted the press for anything, so why they invest so much energy into ridiculing him, I don't know.

He must have a serious core of haters in the dark musty corridors of power over at Shepards Bush

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 17:07

Stuff 'em and watch them fawn over him at Wimbledon and the Olympics. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:10

Damn, missed the whole thing !

Just read the natter chat and it looks like Andy's serve let him down again. why can't he get his 1st serve up in the 60's at least, anywhere else and he's dead in the water, esp against the 2nd best returner out there.

I've tried looking at his action and it seems to be his toss up is either not high enough or it pitches forward too much and his timing goes awol, which you'd expect from that kind of inconsistency with the basic mechanics.

McEnroe stated a few years ago that he wishes Andy would stand more side on, or flat, looking along the baseline, so his throw up is more open and camouflaged to the opponent. A bit like his own service action and position.

Its something that he really should have under his belt, a consistent service that he can rely on, its not going to be perfect, but accuracy is more important than speed, why numerous coaches have not been able to nurture this much needed skill is beyond me.

Anyway, like many of you said, his wo's can't have helped, esp the Nadal one, you can't walk into a final, its not something that happens a lot and may have lessened his preparation, and when you play the No1 in the world, you can't have gaps, either in the matches or your groundwork.

Kudos to Djoko for playing enough good tennis to see him through.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:18

Rusedski was touching on faults in his serving action post-match and suggested it needed looking at. Surely, someone in Andy's team should be spotting this as well? His serve was sub-standard today and it is testament to his fighting spirit he could make such a fight of the second set considering the amount of break points he had against him. He was just too passive as well. I have a feeling that when Andy's first serve his firing we see a more aggressive approach but when that dips he becomes inhibited and goes into his shell and plays too passively. Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:21

Confidence drop, if he doesnt have that with his serve from the start, its an uphill battle, for any player

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:22

Although, he did come back strongly in the AO, taking the 2nd set, but again, his serve % was so much better.

I've seen him hit balls at the base of the net, thats not right.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:25

Also, he takes a long time sometimes, but his three point rhythm cycle is too fast. you can stand there all day, but if you rush the moment you begin to serve, all that preparation is pointless.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:31

On the positive side at least he has had a far better early spring than he dis last year as in two final appearances compared to early exits last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:36

Oh God yes, a complete change, much better than the deep hole he fell into last year.

On to the clay season now, and I hope he can admit to himself one day, that he is as good as any of them and can win it if he wants to.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 21:44

I really do believe it is all a matter of self-belief against the big three. He has the talent to beat them but lacks the belief he can do it when it matters most. That is what he has to overcome and when he does his approach to those matches will be more aggressive and assured putting him in a far stronger position to win those sort of matches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum