Biggest challenge Ever ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Biggest challenge Ever ?

In my mind, this could be the biggest FO for many years.

All the top 4 could end up in the semi's this year, their form could be that good. I wonder if this year is the time when Nadal's crown will either slope a little too much to one side and fall off, or it will be unceremoniously stolen from him, just as he was getting used to the fit and weight of it.

It may epitomise Federer's sudden rebirth (or renaissance as I put it a couple of years ago on 606) and provide him with a brilliant platform to besiege Wimbledon and swansong his year with a gold at the Olympics.

It may herald another chapter in Djokovic's ever increasing haul of trophies or it may even be the catalyst to Murrays conquest of history at Wimbledon this year, if he has a decent run. FO final ? I'm not counting my chickens, but there is a surprising amount of eggs in my basket, don't know where they came from !

Whatever happens, this years FO looks to be the catapult of regimes going south if everything goes to plan.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Biggest challenge Ever ? :: Comments

Post on Fri 23 Mar 2012 - 20:01 by Guest

I cannot see anyone outwith the top four winning the French Open. My money would still be on Rafael Nadal but should he lose the crown it really would herald a crisis in his career as it is his last strong hold so to speak. True Roger Federer is the form man in world tennis at the moment but somehow still get the feeling he won't win another slam. Djokovic will need to up his level from recent weeks but he could be the man to pounce should Rafa slip up. As for Andy well I go into this clay court season with far more hope for him than ever on the red stuff after a very encouraging season last year. Fingers crossed for him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 24 Mar 2012 - 19:29 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:In my mind, this could be the biggest FO for many years.

All the top 4 could end up in the semi's this year, their form could be that good. I wonder if this year is the time when Nadal's crown will either slope a little too much to one side and fall off, or it will be unceremoniously stolen from him, just as he was getting used to the fit and weight of it.

It may epitomise Federer's sudden rebirth (or renaissance as I put it a couple of years ago on 606) and provide him with a brilliant platform to besiege Wimbledon and swansong his year with a gold at the Olympics.

It may herald another chapter in Djokovic's ever increasing haul of trophies or it may even be the catalyst to Murrays conquest of history at Wimbledon this year, if he has a decent run. FO final ? I'm not counting my chickens, but there is a surprising amount of eggs in my basket, don't know where they came from !

Whatever happens, this years FO looks to be the catapult of regimes going south if everything goes to plan.

Good post, Jubbs Smile

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Apr 2012 - 22:19 by Jubbahey

Now, I know I put a thread up on V2 very early on in its incubationary period, talking about the FO's inability to see beyond its own event horizon, but they haven't even bothered to update their website from last years tournament.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html

Hows that for complacency ? (unless someone can find the new 2012 page)

And while we're on the subject......
Their plans to "expand" Roland Garros to other areas of Paris, most notably the Rugby club at Stade Jean Bouin, include the already redeveloped, major recreational public park that now houses the new stadium centre court with a retractable roof.

I am perplexed. Spending millions of dollars, 370 of them, with more money to be spent if and when they redevelop the Rugby club.

The original argument was that it would cost between 630 to a billion dollars to relocate, but that is such a wide estimate, it beggars belief they did not put more effort into approximating the cost more accurately. But then again, maybe not, there have been many city investors who don't want the venue moved, and they have had a big say in the decision to stay put.

Even now, the cost will go beyond their original quote, so they are getting close to the 630 million they feverishly hexed fingers at. And what are they going to be left with, a disjointed venue, spread over the city from suburb to suburb and it will still be the smallest slam event on earth, even with their much advertised and trumpeted redevelopments.

If the FO doesn't turn into a rather pathetic facsimile of its treasured past, then I will be surprised. The spectators will show their dismay at being convoyed from one area to another to watch different matches and if the weather turns nasty, then those avenues of access for pedestrians will take on a slightly different tone to just walking around Paris taking in the views. I admire the French for taking the bull by the horns and expediting some Muslim fanatics back to their own countries, but why they refuse to shake off the mantle of the sacrificial goat to keep a few money lenders happy is sad.

I give it 20 yrs maximum, before another venue usurps the FO and vies for the title of a Grand Slam Tournament. Another clay event, with a massive premises and enough hospitality to make a Sheikh blush will rise from some Eastern desert to claim the prize, Dubai anyone.

Of course, I can't see all that history going down the drain, so it may stay, but it might become dwarfed by a larger complex with as much prestige as theirs and the FO could end up the poorest cousin in a world of 5 slams. What then, all conjecture I know, but they have painted themselves into a very tight corner and no amount of conjuration is going to magically produce acres of space from a hat. Maybe then they will see the error of their ways, but 1000,000,000 dollars will have already been wasted, with a bloating exercise that was full of air.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 May 2012 - 20:18 by Jubbahey

Here is Google earths view of RG and its neighbouring habitat for expansion...

As you can see, it could expand to the east and carve up Paris's illustrated history in the unique gardens of La Serre d'Auteuil or go North and cover the carriageway to expand into the green belt, but that would cost them Millions of Euro's to buy the land from the French government. Or segregate the venue to close but separate surrounding areas like the Rugby club at Stade Jean Bouin, then travellers are going to have a hard time getting from match to match. See below where this is......

Trying to shoe horn the event in to a space that will still be smaller in the long run is crazy to me, but what do I know !

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum