Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Monte Carlo 2012 Masters 14th-22nd April

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:02

Thank goodness for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:03

Back to work for me, see you later decrepitude.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:06

It's good being retired. See you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:18

Oh dammit. Andy drops his serve, 1-2*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:36

Oh dear oh lor'. Another serve dropped, I'm afraid this set is down the pan - I hope he can play better in the decider.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:40

And down the pan it is, 2-6.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:54

Andy got broken in the first game, and I thought it was pretty much over - but he broke straight back!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 11:58

Oh no - Andy has dropped his serve again. This is torture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 12:41

The torture ends with a loss for Andy, 7-6 2-6 3-6.

Not unexpected, but disappointing nevertheless. He just didn't play very well and Berdy did.

I'm not trying to make excuses, because he certainly didn't play as well as Berdych, but I can't help wondering if he was a bit scared of moving, after watching that horrifying fall of Benneteau yesterday. Berdy will have heard about it, maybe even watched a replay, but it's not the same as seeing it live. Both players seemed to have trouble keeping their feet at times, and there were some very odd bounces too. To be honest I don't too much mind the loss if it means he doesn't have to worry about injuring himself for the rest of the week!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 15:36

Decrepitude wrote:The torture ends with a loss for Andy, 7-6 2-6 3-6.

Not unexpected, but disappointing nevertheless. He just didn't play very well and Berdy did.

I'm not trying to make excuses, because he certainly didn't play as well as Berdych, but I can't help wondering if he was a bit scared of moving, after watching that horrifying fall of Benneteau yesterday. Berdy will have heard about it, maybe even watched a replay, but it's not the same as seeing it live. Both players seemed to have trouble keeping their feet at times, and there were some very odd bounces too. To be honest I don't too much mind the loss if it means he doesn't have to worry about injuring himself for the rest of the week!

Spot on re movement - no sliding as he was doing last year and always looking at the court surface, the Monaco & Benneteau incidents must have been planted on his mind but i suppose you could also say the same for his opponent.

The best man won and when Birdy is on song especially on clay he is difficult to beat - just ask Rafa!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 19:34

He has such a fast forehand, played havoc with Andy on the baseline, abd from what I saw, Andy couldn't cope, for whatever reason, with the speed of Berdych's shots. And they were accurate too. But it didn't help that his service % must have been sub 40's, haven't seen the stats, but they can't be good.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 20:26

Thanks all, for the commentary.

I agree with Dec. I don't mind so much about the loss, at least it means Andy won't be injured on this surface.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 21:25

Haven't watched my recording yet, not so sure I want to now. I think Dec might be right that Andy is not wanting to take risks on that surface. Benneteau's fall must still be with him, I see he had a pop at the TV for showing too many replays when he was writhing in pain. I agree it was difficult to watch and I don't want to be seeing it again. Best of wishes to Benneteau, it appears he may miss the olympics which is such a shame as I imagine as he is 31 this may have been his last opportunity to represent his country in such a glorious setting at Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 21:40

I was working today so missed it and could only follow the match on my ATP app on my phone. Keeping things in perspective it is not a disaster losing in a quarter-final against a player well inside the top ten and who has constantly given Andy problems. Reports suggest Andy was just too passive again - he really needs to get out of that annoying habit. The only disappoitment is that it is ranking points dropped as he reached the semis last year but other than that no catastrophe but worrying the passive way he lost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 17:47

Mmmm, a bit of a thrashing in the end for Djokovic and a huge lift for Nadal, even though most of Nadal's detractors and Djoko's fans are writing it off as nothing special, it may well herald a new Nadal into the clay season.

I sympathise with Novak's recent loss, but I can't think it was playing on his mind, he said as much after the semi he won and he didn't seem in any mood to let it effect him then.

Didn't see the match, but 6-1 is a good measure of how dominating a player is. Nadal must have suddenly come alive and remembered he is the King on clay and that was that.

No Djoko at Barcelona, so Murray is No2 there and Berdych is in the same half as Nadal. A good chance for Murray to hone his skills leading up to the FO.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 18:45

Nadal showing why he is regarded as the greatest clay court player of all-time. Despite all his recent victories over Nadal, Novak had no answer on this surface and was blown away. If that was Andy that had lost by that margin people would have been a lot tougher on him than they are just now with Novak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 18:50

Ah, but Novak had an (well publicised) excuse. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 19:13

Ah but it never bothered him in previous matches. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 21:19

Esp the semi, where he stated "I'm a professional and won't get bothered by the news on the day"....now its "I'm so emotionally drained" and "I didn't play well, I was one gear down".

Nadal just plain beat him, simple as that.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum