Murray's Chances

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murray's Chances

For the US Open Andy Murray will be one of the favourites to win the US Open and rightly so.

Obviously, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will all be warmer favourites but Andy certainly has a chance as it is a surface that he is more at home on than grass or clay. Of those big names Djokovic has been different class this year and his form has been a revelation this year.Mentally, he has the edge now over Federer and Nadal after many wins over them this year. As for Roger Federer I can't help but feel he has peaked and is now on a downward slope form wise as his recent slam record shows. He seems to have lost that aura of invincibility he held for a couple or three years. Rafael Nadal is certainly a contender but hard courts haven't given him his best results in tennis in the slams so I'd fancy Andy to have a very good chance in a semi against Rafa at Flushing Meadows.

As for other contenders one man stands out - Juan Martin Del Potro. Certainly returning to form after his injury he would be my pick (from those outside the top four) to rattle their cage.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Murray's Chances :: Comments

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 21:40 by Jubbahey

Well, certainly Murray is fav, but it might depend on his HC form over the next few months, can he attain the same heights as last year or go even better. He is playing considerably better than last year IMO, yes he had a bad slump 1st quarter, but he resurrected his game in time for the FO, Queens and Wimbledon.

In that respect, I think he has a chance to get to the final, but can Djokovic maintain his form given that he started playing well at the USO last year and Andy was beginning the slump.

I think Djoko has the edge unless Nadal can find the magic again to win as he did last year.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 21:54 by Guest

Well I don't think there is any doubt that Andy goes into the hard court season on the back of his best ever clay court season (two Masters semis and his first French Open semi) and best ever grass court season (won at Queen's and semi at Wimbledon) so if he can put in his best ever hard court season then surely he'll be in with a very good chance at Flushing Meadows.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:05 by Jubbahey

I hope he can peak at the right moment.

Del Potro is always going to be a danger on HC, having won his 1st slam there, but I'm not sure he has the same confidence level as previously before his injury/operation, but you never know, it could all come together for him in the US.

Lots of swings and roundabouts, on current form is think djoko would be the bookies choice, but I have to put Murray right in there because he is playing his best right now. I can only think the tactical mistake and a miniscule drop in confidence saw Nadal through at wimbledon, but apart from that, I haven't seen Andy play so consistently since he turned Pro.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:11 by Guest

Well to Andy's credit as well it is only himself and Novak Djokovic who have reached the semis or better at every slam event this year.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:15 by Jubbahey

Ah, didn't know that stat....thats interesting.

Djoko 1 and Murray 4 (rankings), I wonder if Murray could get to No3 if all goes well at the next few masters ? but 3 or 4, it'll be the pick as to which half he gets in, but a Djoko/Murray final would be grand !

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:24 by Guest

Well if you remember Rafa Nadal lost in the quarters in Australia and Roger Federer lost in the quarters at Wimbledon. I think it would only help Andy's cause if he got to No.2 in the world draw-wise to be honest. I do feel that Federer is now past his best and the only way for him in the rankings now is down, Rafa hasn't been as bullet-proof this year either and even toiled a bit at his favoured French Open. The real man of the moment and man to beat just now is Novak Djokovic.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:29 by Guest

Glad you got my PM Craig and came over.

Jubba & Craig

Any other Murray fans we could PM on 606v2 and get over here?

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 22:49 by Guest

Well there is yummymummy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 23:01 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well there is yummymummy.

yummy possibly but she seems to like it with the other girls on MTL.

Any idea where Foxbat is?

There is CUJmee if you could drag him away from the "girls" at MTL

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 23:05 by Guest

A pity no one knows where duggietoo is. I am sure ymmy mummy would come here as she visits 606v2 whilst on MyTennisLounge (as I do as well).

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 23:13 by Jubbahey

Hi BOO, when the site is fixed, I think we can try to poach a few from V2, right now, I'm quite OK with a steady trickle, I've invited the Rafateers to come and have a look, join if they want, but I want as many ideas as possible to get this site visually and aesthetically as good as I can.

Keep the ideas coming chaps....Cal, I think I will leave it as is tonight and take a fresh look in the morning, hows the sections looking, I tried to get it as close to what you were thinking ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 7:07 by Guest

Yes it is looking better. Like I said a section to discuss rankings may be worthwhile as well as a section for the Davis Cup.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 9:29 by Guest

Morning all - I agree with you about the site being near finished before most invites start going out.

It would be beneficial to get a good representation, such as the Rafateers plus fans from the other top players but excluding the well known wums who we all know!

A lot of the Murray fans have gone over to MTL the likes of Amazon and CUJmee, but I am sure that without the wum element here they would be happy to contribute if asked.

With regards to duggie Craig, I have a feeling that he is no more, as far as posting is concerned at least.

I would say he will be sadly missed as he was for sure one of the "leading lights" on th old 606.

Bye for now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 10:00 by Jubbahey

EDITED****NEW LINK

CC, there is a section here now http://andymurray.forumotion.co.uk/f16-rankings

Yes BOO, I have had a horrible feeling that he was no more, even in a mortal coil sense, but I checked his H2G2 account and he did post something in May. I left a message, but I'm not hopeful.

Last edited by Jubbahey on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 19:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update info)

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Jul 2011 - 4:10 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Yes BOO, I have had a horrible feeling that he was no more, even in a mortal coil sense, but I checked his H2G2 account and he did post something in May. I left a message, but I'm not hopeful.

I have tried, albeit unsuccessfully, along with some others from MTL, to find more, without intruding. I miss him. 😢

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Jul 2011 - 4:15 by Guest

On the topic at hand...

Based on his calendar (from his web site) since he is not playing any other HC tourneys apart from Cincy and Canada, prior to USO, and the Top 4 will be present at both of them, it should be a good indication of where he is tennis-wise.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Jul 2011 - 19:17 by Jubbahey

And a good indication of how scared they are of Murray's HC game, given his vast improvement on clay and a good run on grass.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 20:41 by Guest

I think Andy's chances are pretty good so long as its not 108 degrees again, that was brutal. I ended up dehydrated just watching so a little bit of British summer would suit him better and he may have some more to fire his opponents off court.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:11 by Jubbahey

I think it would be good for him to concentrate on consistency with the next two upcoming tournies. If he didnt take too much stress over worrying about winning them, it might prepare himself better for the Open so he peaked at the end, being 5 setters of course.

I'd take a whole year out, throw everything but the kitchen sink at trying to win a slam and use the other events as warmups, practise keeping in rallies and taking the important points well.

He does seem to relax more when he plays the HC season and his confidence levels are at their highest around now, or so it seems.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:54 by Guest

Lets face it Andy has stacks going for him. One of the best returners in the world, has all the shots in the book and excellent fitness levels. His achilles heel are his serve and his mental fragility. If he can sort those out then I have no doubt he will win a slam one day.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 21:14 by Jubbahey

I suppose nerves get to all of us, including slam winners, its how you handle them before and after winning one that matters.

I'm hoping that for Murray, practice makes perfect.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 21:45 by Guest

I think Andy should really be asking himself what happened mentally when he missed that sitter early in the second set V Nadal at Wimbledon.

For a while it has been suggested Andy was mentally fragile and that semi showed that fragility up. I mean for the first set and a bit Andy was in the zone and looked to have the beating of Rafa Nadal and then he missed a sitter and the belief evaporated as his game unravelled quite evidently. He must cut that out of his game or he will remain forever the nearly man. Hopefully, his time will come at Flushing Meadows.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 14:50 by Guest

I am not sure that he is mentally fragile in the way that he loses courage, he seems to have plenty of that which was very much in evidence at Roland Garros. I think sometimes he can either suffer from complacency and get caught out (like someone else has in the past Roger Twisted Evil ) against lesser players. That obviously was not so against Rafa, but I do feel he loses focus or concentration sometimes and when he does that he struggles to get it back in the same match.

If Andy has good Montreal and Cincy, he should go into US with lots of confidence and the focus will probably be largely on Rafa and Novak again, which could help him.

I would like to see him really loving his game again because I think then all the little creases will automatically iron themselves out - although he has had a great season by and large, apart from melt downs at Indian Wells and Miami, he doesn't look as confident and happy on court as he did to me a couple of years ago. I think the pressure that the media put on his 24 yr old shoulders is insane and as many have pointed out, the obsession with the British press with a slam win pervades everything that the media write/talk about Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 22:45 by Jubbahey

The problem is its very difficult to know what kind of mind games players play when they are in a fix or riding a wave of confidence.

I think we all saw something unravelling, to me he saw that Nadal had sniffed a chance to up his game and Murray's confidence dropped. It can only be a small change in fortunes, but its a marked difference at this level and the swift upset that followed mirrored how those small changes can make a big difference.

But Andy didn't give up, he fought back, but Nadal was so high he couldn't break him down. The 4th set was much closer, if only Andy had held it together and made it two sets to love, I think he may well have purged himself of the Nadal scourge.

But you can't take anything away from Nadal, he hung on and kept the pressure up, Andy needs to understand where he can relax and where he must focus 101% and I thin k he's getting there.

Two years ago, we were talking on 606 about his ability to read games and players and adapt. He';s lost a bit of that in his drive to get fitter and better. Its all a balance and we had a brief glimpse of the all rounder Murray at Wimbledon and the FO, he must learn how to put it all together at a slam. I'm sure he can, he was a late starter to the pro circuit, so in all fairness to him, he's a couple of years behind players like Djoko and Nadal in the slam experience dept.

Nadal turned pro 2001 aged 15 !
Djokovic turned pro 2003 aged 16 !
Murray turned pro 2005 aged 19.

They are all around the 24-25 yr old mark.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum