F1 Spanish Grand Prix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

F1 Spanish Grand Prix

Watch it live here... qualifying today, and going into the Q2.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Its hotting up quite nicely, Hamilton flying into 1st place at this stage, but its now a war of who can drive the fastest on their choice of tyres, which is becoming a tactical war, something I didnt think was good for the sport, but now seems to be entering into a kind of racing that makes this sport so exciting at times.

Q2 - the middle section of drivers contending to try to get into the top ten places and a chance to get a grid place.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

F1 Spanish Grand Prix :: Comments

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 13:49 by Jubbahey

Massa, Webber, Button are out of the Q3 phase, but there is only 1 sec between the top and last driver.

These tyre specs are levelling the playing field like no other option in F1.

Only ten guys to fight for pole position.

1 P Maldonado
2 L Hamilton
3 R Grosjean
4 S Perez
5 K Raikkonen
6 F Alonso
7 N Rosberg
8 S Vettel
9 K Kobayashi
10 M Schumacher

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 14:04 by Jubbahey

Cripes, Lewis takes pole with a 0.5 sec gap, but has stopped on track.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 20:34 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Cripes, Lewis takes pole with a 0.5 sec gap, but has stopped on track.

He'll now have to start from the back of the grid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2143459/Spanish-Grand-Prix-2012-Lewis-Hamilton-stripped-Spain-pole.html

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 21:26 by Guest

This season has been fantastic. The races are so open and nice to see new teams at the front of the grid or the awakening of sleeping giants like Williams. Hamilton can count himself very unlucky to be punished so severely. It was thought that he may take a five place drop on the grid or something like that but instead he is put straight to the back of the grid. I'll bet that wouldn't have been the penalty if it had been a Ferrari.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 21:56 by Jubbahey

I can't believe the guys luck with McLaren. They've hindered him throughout last year, to push him into grave errors and stupid decisions and now, coming back after a break where he calmed his nerves and buried his ghosts, they still can't give him a decent run at things.

Its so unprofessional, it beggars belief that Lewis has stayed so long with them. Both the two Gp's at the start of the season were strung with bad decisions, last week we saw him delayed in the pits...Twice! and now this.

I actually think he has got immense patience and his driving now, is the only thing we can judge him on, as his attitude has been outstanding.

And yes CC, the governing body of stewards has got it in for Lewis, I wish they'd just give him a chance to shine a little. If Vettel had done the same thing, no way would it have been back of the grid. Its so harsh its mind boggling.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 22:08 by Jubbahey

This is what a tech analyst has found out...

""The fuel rig guy put the rig on, but he had the handle set to drain fuel. He discovered his mistake and switched it to put fuel in the car. But as a result he didn't put as much fuel in it as he should have. You have to be able to drive back to the pit-lane and have one litre of fuel left for the FIA to test. He went across the start-finish line 20 seconds before the chequered flag but if they had sat in the garage for three or four more seconds to get more fuel in, they still would have had time to cross the line and complete another flying lap. Sometimes I don't think McLaren think on their feet."

The Stewards say...

""The Stewards determine that this is a breach of Article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations and the Competitor is accordingly excluded from the results of the Qualifying Session. The Competitor is however allowed to start the race from the back of the grid."

That is sooooo ridiculous, 4 secs more ! what were Mclaren thinking.
Its the best qualifying Lewis has done in his career.

Its also ridiculous to say he should start from the back of the grid, as he only forfeited on Q3, therefore he should be dropped to 11th place, as only the last ten compete for pole in Q3.

Back of the grid means he'll be lucky or have driven his very best GP if he wants to finish inside the top ten. Its possible, if they pick one stop less that anyone else and his tyre choice is better than everyone else, and his fuel tank is lighter than everyone else as well as his best drive of the season.

Spain is a fantastic track to get away from your pursuers and fly. I don't think anyone has lost a race there when in pole position, well, not many for sure. Not many places to use the DRS to any useful degree or get into slip streams.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 22:33 by Guest

I wouldn't be so harsh on McLaren Jubba. Sure they produced a pretty poor car last year but wouldn't say they kyboshed Hamilton's title hopes or anything. It was just the car wasn't quick enough and I am sure the whole team busted a gut to improve its pace last year without much success. Sure they have made errors this season but I still think both Lewis and Jenson have about the quickest car on the grid so no need for doom and despondency. I could be worse they could have Ferrari's woes.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 22:44 by Jubbahey

I'm not saying they ruined his season, but they certainly didnt help it putting him under too much pressure to perform with a badly designed car, even they admitted that. But yes, no time for despondency, but i wish Lewis got some luck his way, instead of the opposite.

Just when you thought his season was in another gear and he's got his head together, we now have a great car, but rubbish techies. Argh!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 May 2012 - 22:52 by Guest

A long way to go in this season and Hamilton's head seems in a better place this year so I have no doubt he'll be a strong contender for the title this year.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 13 May 2012 - 15:24 by Guest

Amazing race today and with a fairytale ending of sorts. Pastor Maldonado (the Venezuelan) drove the wheels off the Williams car to hold off a strong challenge from Fernando Alonso. What a turnaround for the team!! Last year they had their worst ever season in F1 scoring no points whatsoever and the outlook for the long-running privateer team was bleak Now a year later the team have regrouped and have a very competitive car and today won their first race for eight years. Great stuff and all on Sir Frank Williams 70th birthday. Third finished the Lotus of Kim Raikonen and special mention to Lewis Hamilton who drove a very mature race to finish 8th after starting 24th. The fifth race of the season and won by the fifth different manufacturer - incredible season so far.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 13 May 2012 - 15:28 by Jubbahey

Yep CC, it was a fantastic race, for Hamilton too.

8th place from 24th, thats quite a determined effort from him.

But the race itself was nail biting to the end. Even though I hate the tyre situation, I can't deny its giving us some exciting contests between the drivers.

Maldonado drove incredibly well, he had 24 laps to drive those rubbers, when Lewis couldnt make them last 20 and Alonso had 2 laps less to conserve yet still began to lose ground in the last two laps as his grip began to fail, just how Pastor kept his tyres intact is amazing.

A deserved winner and like you say, that's now 5 different drivers winning this years F1 already, its going down to the wire, we might get a situation where 4th or 5th place in the last meeting could win the championship.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 May 2012 - 13:20 by Guest

Yes it was a sad end to the day. Some startling images there.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum