Murray's Chances

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murray's Chances

For the US Open Andy Murray will be one of the favourites to win the US Open and rightly so.

Obviously, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will all be warmer favourites but Andy certainly has a chance as it is a surface that he is more at home on than grass or clay. Of those big names Djokovic has been different class this year and his form has been a revelation this year.Mentally, he has the edge now over Federer and Nadal after many wins over them this year. As for Roger Federer I can't help but feel he has peaked and is now on a downward slope form wise as his recent slam record shows. He seems to have lost that aura of invincibility he held for a couple or three years. Rafael Nadal is certainly a contender but hard courts haven't given him his best results in tennis in the slams so I'd fancy Andy to have a very good chance in a semi against Rafa at Flushing Meadows.

As for other contenders one man stands out - Juan Martin Del Potro. Certainly returning to form after his injury he would be my pick (from those outside the top four) to rattle their cage.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Murray's Chances :: Comments

Post on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 16:13 by Jubbahey

Time Please "apart from melt downs at Indian Wells and Miami"

That was such a bad run of matches, it was a nightmare and I did worry that his AO loss was going to last longer than it did. Maybe he needed a bad wake up call to remind him of his goals and I think it is better to play sometimes to both extremes. Achieve the absolute best and worst to realise your scope.

I'm not saying this should happen on a regular basis, but occasionally a player needs to know the width of their game and that to improve, you have to have an idea of what exactly is wrong with your game. I suppose that means you only really know that if you've played so bad, it exposes your weaknesses to a much higher degree and for his coaches and trainers, they can see more vividly how to progress and move forward.

It might afford a player a brief hiatus, without undue self criticism, to appreciate how good they were and build more confidence in their game than before.

Murray certainly played his best tennis in the matches that followed that awful period where he was playing like a player dispossessed with any form of skill or talent.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 23 Aug 2012 - 23:06 by Jubbahey

I wonder how our appraisals of his game has changed since this time last year?

He certainly turned a few heads at the Olympics and the media seem to be happy to give him a more than real chance at the Open this time around.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-22/201208221345666704005.html?promo=home

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum