French Open 2012 Thread

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

French Open 2012 Thread

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 16:24

The French Open is under way. The first appearances of Federer and Djokovic was competent but will say no more than that about them. They had tough sets but once they got them out of the way it was pretty plain sailing for them. Feliciano Lopez (No.15 seed) has made an early exit withdrawing through injury when trailing 5-0 in his first set. Another surprise was the exit of David Nalbandian losing in four sets to a qualifier.

Andy Murray isn't in action until tomorrow (weather permitting as rain is forecast).

Back to top Go down

Re: French Open 2012 Thread

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 18:04

Andy Murray due on court (by my estimation) at around 5pm (UK time) tomorrow to take on Tatsumo Ito (Japan) in his First Round match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 18:38

Cheers CC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 20:04

More upsets on the cards are that Radek Stepanek (No.23 seed) is on the brink of defeat against Belgian No.109 David Goffin. Also No.19 seed Aleksandr Dolgopolov (a potential 3rd round opponent for Andy Murray) is two sets to one behind against fellow Ukrainian Sergei Stahkovsky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 21:50

Thanks, Craig.

I will be out tomorrow evening till about 8.15... will be hoping to come back to good news Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 21:52

Well I foresee no problems tomorrow for Andy. It should be a straight sets win and aything less and it will have been a disappointing performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 May 2012 - 22:00

Cheers, Craig. That is good to hear Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:54

I'm not on the computer much when I can watch tennis on the tv screen! Not having Eurosport or Sky, tennis on tv is so limited that I have to make the most of it.

So just a word of appreciation for the ITV4 commentators - what a change to hear active support of Andy (even though he hasn't played yet). No snide comments - and a Castle-free zone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 14:12

Agree D and nice to see Mark Petchy onboard with them because SKY isn't covering it, plus Jim Courier who is a welcome guest as well with really interesting commentary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 20:06

A patchy performance from Andy I'd say. I never saw the match as I was working but a dynamic first set was followed by Andy's mind and game going walkabouts in the second set and he could easily have lost it but was back in the groove for a bagel in set three. Oh for a totally clinical performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 20:29

I didn't think so, CC. Andy definitely seemed to have some physical problem for a while - his serve speed dropped from the usual 200+kph to around 170kph, and he wasn't chasing down balls the way he usually does. Both of these surely sympomatic of a physical problem? Then either the problem eased or he decided to grit his teeth and play through it - and that was the end of Ito.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 20:55

As I said I never watched the match (was working) so could only follow score updates on Roland Garros app on my phone and the live commentary on the BBC website on my phone so have no idea how or what caused a second set slump. Now what you say backs up my suapicions that the back injury is still there inhibiting him at times. Not good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 May 2012 - 21:54

Decrepitude wrote:I'm not on the computer much when I can watch tennis on the tv screen! Not having Eurosport or Sky, tennis on tv is so limited that I have to make the most of it.

It's the same for me, Dec.

Looking forward to watching Andy on the big screen Very Happy

Couldn't watch this evening's match, unfortunately, but well done Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 30 May 2012 - 7:21

Andy is scheduled to be in action next on Thursday against the Finn Jarko Niemenen. Should be another straight forward win but bad weather is on its way so his match may be delayed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 30 May 2012 - 16:47

Thanks, Craig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 30 May 2012 - 18:43

Andy first on tomorrow (Thursday) 10-00am GMT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 30 May 2012 - 22:58

I might be lucky and catch an hour of that then, thanks for the info BOO.

(weather permitting of course)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 30 May 2012 - 23:03

The weather should be fine tomorrow. As I am off work tomorrow I'll be watching it. I am hoping for and quietly confident of another straight sets win for Andy tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 10:28

Murray not moving at all well I am afraid. Niemenen breaks to lead 2-0 with Murray clutching his back and grimacing with commentators doubting that Murray will see this match out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 10:35

I'd sooner see Andy pull out. Now trailing 4-0 and is hardly moving at all. He is now having a medical time out. Sooner he just quit this futile exercise to be honest or he risks writing off a big portion of this season in tournaments he has a far better chance of winning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 10:40

Medical time-out over and he is back on court but still very laboured. Very sad to watch. I'd be gobsmacked if this match is completed although he has brken back 1-4.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 10:46

Niemenen breaks again to lead 5-1 with Murray's serve severely limited. Such a futile exercise this. Hopefully the handshake will come at the end of this set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 11:00

Well Andy has continued but I see no point in this. Niemenen broke straight away and it is kind of funny as the players walk up to the change over Niemenen watches Murray to see if the handshake is coming.

My big worry is that this is a long-term injury that has been with Andy sonce December so hasn't gone away yet he has tried to play through it and it hasn't got better. It will not get better either unless he rests and with such an intense phase of the season coming up with Wimbledon, Olympics and US Open that is no time for rests. Very worrying and sad for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 11:17

Moving slightly better and at least competing now but Niemenen still leads 6-1 4-2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 11:24

Murray breaks back. Showing great courage playing through the pain and his movement is better. Murray now needs to hold here and ratchet up the pressure on Niemenen to serve to save the set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum