French Open 2012 Thread

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: French Open 2012 Thread

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 11:36

Guts keeping Andy afloat here. Niemenen double faults and Murray takes the second set 6-4. He is moving much better but the injury is still a big big worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 11:48

Murray has a break at the start of the third set and now leads 1-6 6-4 2-0, Still making me wince though as he battles the pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 12:05

Murray going ultra-aggressive and his improved movement and Niemenen's mindset is seeing Murray blowing the Finn off the court. He has taken the third set in just over half an hour and Andy leads 1-6 6-4 6-1. That injury still a massive concern though. No questioning Andy's guts though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 12:26

Andy looks set for the Third Round. He has a break early in the fourth set and leads 1-6 6-4 6-1 3-2. However, for the long term that injury is a big concern. The more he plays is just going to make it worse in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 12:40

Andy Murray has beaten Jarkko Niemenen 1-6 6-4 6-1 6-2 to seal a Third Round match against Colombian Santiago Giraldo who has beaten No.25 seed Bernard Tomic.

The back a massive concern but great credit to him battling through the pain and being able to transform this match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 31 May 2012 - 20:30

I'll second that about his back, and from the area that the physio was treating, it looks as though it may well be the middle back and considering he had big problems serving, is this a result of his slight change to his service action ?

I only saw the first set and the beginning of the 2nd, and I thought he was going to chuck it in, but he is such a sticker and hates folding, and I suppose there was always the chance he could run it off, which he did eventually, but it was brave of him to continue on.

I tuned in with my phone later on and caught the very last game and I was a pleasantly but completely surprised he was still in it and about to close the match.

I can't think how depressed the Finn must be, he must have been expecting the handshake from Murray for quite a few games over the whole of the 1st set.

But what got me was the fact that with Andy unable to serve properly, he shortened the points with some abrasive and aggressive tennis and won points with seeming ease, one has to wonder why he doesn't take this approach more often or at least try to incorporate it more into his game.

Sadly, our girl Watson fell to the German, it wasnt as bad as the score line shows, but she made too many errors on the big points, but it looked like she was going for the winners, which may well pay her back with profit later on.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 31 May 2012 - 20:41

Just seen this on AOL, interesting.... mmm

"Murray has been troubled by an ongoing back problem that saw him pull out of the Masters Series event in Madrid earlier this month, but he insisted this was not the same thing, although it may be related.

"Maybe sometimes muscles are doing too much work because you're a little bit weak in that area," he said. "But my physio is one of the best. No doubt about that.

"His advice before the match was that by playing you're not going to do any permanent damage, so go out and give it a go, see how it feels.

"Then obviously it didn't feel good. So they were telling me to stop, and then I just kept going, and then it started to feel a bit better.

"It's one of those things, you can wake up sometimes with a cricked neck or sleeping in the wrong position or whatever. Because I was absolutely perfect yesterday. I had no problems at all."

http://sportinglife.aol.co.uk/tennis/news/article/22887/7788896/emotional-murray-can-t-believe-victory

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 20:49

Check out the post-match interview he gave on ITV4 right after the match. (sorry don't have a link) and you can see how worried Andy is as he was so despondent you'd swear he'd lost he sounded so down. That worries me a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 21:08

That was painful to watch, though obviously not as painful as it was to play! I too wanted him to retire, but if it is correct that it was not the original injury, I feel a lot better about it. Often when you have an injury of any sort, you use different muscles to try to protect it - then the over-worked muscles protest. When it was obvious that he was going to try to carry on I said to my husband that I thought his reasoning was that it was going to get better shortly and so gritted his teeth and played through - as he did yesterday.

Back spasms are excruciatingly painful, as I know to my cost, but they do wear off eventually even though the underlying problem is still there. What concerns me still is that I can't see him beating a less flaky player than Nieminen if he still has movement problems. Even if he gets past Giraldo, then comes probably Gasquet (ok he can be flaky too) and if he manages that far we come to Ferrer and Nadal, and I can't see him beating or even being competitive against either of them, with a back problem, even if it isn't as severe as today.

Still if they are sure he isn't doing any damage by playing on, then fair enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 21:20

Yes I see what you are saying Decriptitude but surely the problem will surely only get better an heal with rest and treatment which it won't be getting as long as he plays on through the pain barrier. To win RG anyway it would take a monumental effort and needs to be 100% fit which he isn't and clay isn't his best surface so why bother? I admire his tenacity but is it really worth the risk with Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open just around the corner which are on surfaces that offer him a much better chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 31 May 2012 - 22:26

Thats perfect reasoning CC, and I'm sure his camp will do what is necessary to get him fit for SW19 and beyond.

But yes, it is a worry for us mere mortals to make out just what his injury is and how it will effect him in the next few weeks.

Lets hope they don't abandon common sense for heroics, its not good for his health.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 22:32

Well according to some reports he says this is a different injury from the on-going back problem. The on-going back problem he says is not a problem his doctors have told him. Still I'd rather he rested and got fit for the grass court season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 31 May 2012 - 22:42

So would I and not take any chances for the sake of it.

I did hear one of the commentators on ITV4 say he has changed his service action slightly, I wonder if this has compounded his other injury.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 31 May 2012 - 22:46

Well apparently he had back spasms today and woke up feeling stiff as well but these back spasms are not related to the on-going problem. I find that a little hard to swallow though - two different back injuries at the same time? I just think Andy is trying too hard to cover up a bigger problem which won't do him any favours in the long run. Time will tell. Hopefully, he gets a late start for his Third Round match on Saturday against Santiago Giraldo of Colombia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 21:15

Tomorrow's schedule is out and it does Murray no favours. An earlyish start due on court around 11.30 am (British time) but he has been related to No.1 Court. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 21:40

Yes, but better than first on, or indeed last on when you run the risk of having the match carried over to the next day.

As for Court 1, no insult there I suppose - so was Azarenka today, and she is #1!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 21:48

Fair points Decriptitude. I never thought of it like that. I suppose a bit of personal bias from me as I don't finish work until around 1.45 pm by which time the match will probably be over. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 21:56

Set the recorder CC.

Were you not on Virgin ? or did you leave them for another provider ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 22:01

Yes I am with Virgin. I could set the recorder but this is tennis lol. I mean the women's match may over-run or there could be rain so have no definitive time to start the recorder or time to stop it. If you see what I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 22:06

The joy of being old-fashioned - all I have is a VHS/DVD recorder, so if I have to be out I can record on VHS cassette for 8 hours, then transfer the match itself to DVD if I want.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 22:35

Ahh, but CC, you can go to it in channel select and highlight ITV4 and press record and it'll do the whole thing until it ends transmission. You can do this before it starts or when the programs running. clap

Thats if you have a V+ box of course, which I think is Tivo ? I'm not sure actually.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 22:53

Yes realise that. Done that with F1 last week but ended up having to spend ages fast forwarding through to watch the race. Besides I know what I am like I will end up following the match on my Roland Garros phone app at work or the BBC website. Curiosity will get the better of me so will know the result before I start watching.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 14:28

Andy Murray off to a good start leading Santiago Giraldo 6-3 4-2 and if his back spasms don't come back to haunt him he should be home and hosed in about an hours time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 14:49

Murray now leads 6-3 6-4 and as far as I can see no issues with the back today. KK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 15:38

Through to the Fourth Round goes Andy Murray winning 6-3 6-4 6-4 against Santiago Giraldo and will play either Tommy Haas or Richard Gasquet. His back didn't look an issue today and he looked far more happy at the end of the match. We can all stop holding our breath now for a couple of days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum