French Open 2012 Thread

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: French Open 2012 Thread

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 15:57

Just as well - I was starting to turn purple. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 16:56

Andy Murray will play Richard Gasquet in the Fourth Round. Gasquet looked very good but Haas rather capitulated in the final three sets. No doubt Gasquet will have all the home support on Monday. Andy will need to be at his best me thinks or very close to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:41

A fully fit Murray should deal with Gasket, and the Frenchie has a habit of blowing it in front of his crowd when against top opponents.

No real worries for me, Ricardo gave Andy a thumping last time, but he wasn't 100% at all and Gasket put a good tournie together for once, can't see him repeating it in 5 setters though, not against Murray et al.

Murray looked good today, an occasional blip of focus and Hiraldo played unreal tennis for about 4 games, apart from that, Andy pretty much did a usual day at the office work out I thought. Serving was so much better for most of the match and his movement was good.

9/10 performance for me.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:46

I would expect Andy to win I agree. He needs to be focussed though and guard against feeding Gasquet's backhand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 18:01

Yep, and last time they met at the FO was in 2010, it went to 5 sets with Andy winning it .... 4-6 6-7(5) 6-4 6-2 6-1

Since Wimbledon 2008, its 3-2 in H2H's and Gasquet is a far better Clay courter than on any other surface, but has never done anything spectacular on the stuff in an ATP event, which is strange given his upbringing on the red bits.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 18:07

I think the first set will be crucial for Gasquet. If he loses it I'd be very confident that Murray will win but even if Murray loses it and his back is fine I'd still back Andy to mount a comeback.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:47

A Murray comeback.

Makes a habit of doing those LOL.

As far as the back is concerned, the jury is still out on that score for me. He wasn't totally fit today, it must have been a bit sore anyway, esp after the prolonged effort to loosen it up the other day. Will still be looking to see how it reacts, if he has to go to a 5 setter with Gasket.

As far as I'm aware, he is still carrying the original injury that he sustained way back in the, AO was it ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:51

December, he said. When he pulled out of WTF, I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:53

Ah, that far back...wow!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:56

I suppose he really has no choice but to play through it now since we are in a crunch time of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 14:34

Djokovic in all sorts of trouble in his Fourth Round match he trails No.22 seed Andreas Seppi 4-6 6-7 4-3. Has a break in the third set and one still feels that if Djoko wins this set he becomes favourite for the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 14:47

Novak not exactly happy with conditions, I'm still optimistic of an upset here, only if Seppi can keep his head clean and do what he has been doing, but Djokovic is dangerous when behind, as he has shown before.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 15:00

I think Djoko is now a warm to hot favourite now. A break up in the fourth set and Seppi's consistency beginning to dip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 15:04

I am surprised how hard Federer is being pushed by the lucky loser Goffin. First set is either going to a tie-breaker or Goffin takes it. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 15:10

Hold the press - Goffin takes the first set 7-5 against Roger Federer. Shocked x2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 15:59

Djokovic back from the dead and level at two sets all and Seppi surely must run out of gas now as he has had a far more arduous route to the Fourth Round.

Meanwhile, Federer is back level at one set all against lucky loser David Goffin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 16:28

Djokovic comes through in five sets to beat the game Italian Andreas Seppi. Meanwhile Fed now beginning to put young Belgian David Goffin to the sword as he leads 5-7 7-5 6-2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 17:16

Federer comes through in four sets against David Goffin but credit to the young Belgian but Fed must do better (far better) to beat the likes of Djokovic or Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 18:03

Order of play is out for tomorrow. Andy Murray is to play on Philippe Chatrier Court and should be on court at around 2 pm (British Time).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 18:40

Goffin is sure one to watch in the next few months, lucky loser doesn't seem to fit the bill from his play and this is surely going to boost him up the ranks and give him hug confidence for the future. He's got all the shots and touch and feel, amazing to watch him spar with Federer, Roger didn't get it all his own way and the young gun was right in the thick of it, up to the last game and point.

I like him a lot.

Seppi by comparison just let it slip in the 3rd, kind of took the foot off the accelerator a bit, which you can't do against Djoko, one sniff and he'll sense the fear. From then on it was uphill for the Italian and didnt get much of a look in after that. Still played some good rallies and made Novak work harder to win, but like you say CC, he ran out of gas, and maybe ideas in the end.

Looking forward to Murray's match tomorrow, don't know if he'll beat Richard, but he has the form to do so, its just how fit Andy is physically and mentally to take on Gasquet with a home crowd behind him. Although based on today, I'd say it would take a fantastic match to materialise for the French to get off their bums and cheer somewhat, they seem so subdued unless their guy or the underdog is doing something special.

But when they do, it a real challenge to quieten them down for the point to start... Doh!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 18:48

I would say it is key that Andy plays an aggressive game. In their last meeting which he lost he was just too passive and was approaching the net off shots with not enough depth to them allowing Gasquet's mercurial backhand to hit winners far too often.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 19:10

Just to add as well that rain is forecast in the morning/early afternoon tomorrow so Andy's match could start later than I posted earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 20:41

Tsonga's match with Stan Wawrinka has not been completed. The match was suspended with Tsonga leading 4-2 in the final set and means they will come back tomorrow to complete the match. It probably will mean a slightly later start for the Murray/Gasquet match (perhaps 2.30pm UK time weather permitting).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 22:47

Well, I'm on half term duty, so I've got the whole week off as they owe me so many days in lieu LOL, and loads more for the summer hols. But Wimbledon is always during term time and now they've not renewed their TV licence, I can't watch it there in my breaks...damn.

So gratefully, rain breaks won't effect me this week.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 4 Jun 2012 - 16:24

Finally, it is Murray time folks......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next