ALERT ALERT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ALERT ALERT

An old but now updated and potentially dangerous Microsoft windows scam is going the rounds.

It used to be an asian person calling you on behalf of MS, telling you that from their records, you have downloaded some hacking software and need anti virus software. It has changed into criminal activity now.

{*1}MS do not have any personal information that links your name to an IP address or any other personal details.

They will say that you have used the internet and have unwittingly downloaded this malware and it will cause immense damage to your computer, even with most uptodate security software running.
They will advise you to check your computer using the RUN command in the Start Menu and enter CMD, which brings up a normal window for accessing parts of your system. Another command will be entered and it will bring up a list of entries and the caller will confirm one of the entries as proof of the hacking software you downloaded.

{*2}All computers will have this entry, its nothing to do with anything malicious, just a normal file that has a funny file name to it, and there are lots of them.
Shocked **EDIT** Another one is to open the EVENTVWR - which is Windows own event viewer, you'll see some warning and alert entries, this is normal and in no way can they damage your computer. They will say do not click on them, but you can and when you do you will see that they are just normal malfunctions of every day processes.

You will now be directed to an unfamiliar website, it won't have anything to do with MS apart from the makeup of the webpage. Shocked **EDIT** or the LOGMEIN123.com website, where you allow them to take over your computer...yikes!!

{*3}MS will never link you to an outside website to access info about major security leaks or solutions.

He/she will direct you to download an anti-hacking piece of software that he/she will recommend that you install on your desktop.

{*4}MS will NEVER advise you to download and install separate security software that wouldn't already be part of an update from their own website, via "Automatic Updates" to your computer.

He/she will ask you to keep this software running at all times by making sure the icon is visible on your desktop from startup.

This is about as far as I got, before I lost patience and told the guy he was an idiot if he thought I'd fall for that. I'd pretended to log on, I wish I had written down the website to warn you even more, but I was on the phone in the dining room at the time, but I kept him going for over 15 mins. He was very persuasive and seemed to have a lot of knowledge, but it was all bluff and bull, the main problem being that I knew MS would never call me like this without a support ticket number or have details with my name attached to them.

I thought I'd got rid of them by announcing I'd cracked their own scam, that was 3 days ago. Today I got another call, suffice to say, I asked some questions about how they knew I had this malware on my computer and the bull and bluff was that they got their information from the "International Router System", I said that no such thing existed, but she insisted it did and I was only to go online and check. I didn't need to as this router can not possibly exist, she called it the main router where all traffic is directed, yeah right! I said I was a web desinger for major international companies worldwide and I had never heard of this before, she insisted it did exist, I asked her how she had my phone number connected to my IP address and she hung up.

There are many variations of this scam, from just downloading stuff to giving credit details away or charging you £199 for a phone call to them and another load for installing fake anti virus software.

Message is, MS will never call you if you haven't already called them, first and foremost.
Second, they will never risk linking you to third party software.
Thirdly, they do not offer personal protection (never have) when Auto-updates do that for Millions of people in one stroke.

So either play with them and take the piss or hang up, but expect them to try up to maybe 4 times before they take your name off their lists.

Its getting very confusing out there and these criminals are getting very clever. But always take phone calls as phoney to begin with and ask many questions. If you are ever unsure, do not ask for their phone number to call back, even though this is a tactic to prove their authenticity, the number will be a humongous premium number that will cost you a weeks wages. best thing is hang up and check online

Places to check out this scam...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just found this and it sounds like the same bloke with the same spiel. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Jubbahey on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 2:19; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : **EDIT** - edits from recent news items online)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

ALERT ALERT :: Comments

Post on Fri 8 Jun 2012 - 20:02 by Guest

Thanks for the tip off Jubba. These low lifes are becoming more sneaky by the minute. I tend to just hang up when they start their speil, can't be bothered with them. Though I've probably hung up on a few genuine callers in my time for the sames reasons LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 2:14 by Jubbahey

Better safe than sorry MTS.

Not being racist or anything, but 99% of Asian callers are either scams or market research and they're mostly cold calls. So you're pretty much safe with you're style of answering.

No1 rule is always - no legitimate company will ring you if you haven't contacted them first.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 19:28 by Jubbahey

I found this today, after allowing the script on another webpage, not kn owing what it was, I think it was on the BBC sport main page to try and download a picture on the video startup window.

Akamaihd.net

frustrating little script that links words on the page to websites by underlining them. hover the mouse over them and they will show the ad and the link. never seen it before today, but I have got NoScript on FireFox so I forbid it and the underlinings go away, so do the links.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 29 Aug 2013 - 20:59 by Jubbahey

If you get an email from UPS saying it couldn't deliver due to a code error or some such, its a hoax and it installs a password stealer Trojan virus.

Its easy to detect, the to and from addresses at the header of the email are to strange emails and not from UPS. Don't unattach any attachments or double click the attachment to save it.

If you do then hopefully, as did mine, your Microsoft Security Essentials should detect it and ask to delete it, do so ASAP and delete the original email, the go to the delete box and delete it again.

I got stung because I'm waiting for a package from Amazon and thought it was Kosher, it wasn't and I fell for it.

Don't forget to do a virus check as well.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 29 Aug 2013 - 22:16 by Guest

Cheers Jubba. I always tend to just delete those messages anyway. If they can't deliver something the norm is to post a card through the door not via email.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum