Original chat

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Original chat

Hello all!! Not sure quite where to post this, but I just want to say ... if you can't beat 'em create your own forum! Good luck with it all, and like us, I hope you end up with the kind of forum you want.

Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Original chat :: Comments

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 9:41 by Guest

Looks like 606v2 is going to be a Federer, Djokovic site in the main with the likes of bogbrush,socal and Tenez being the main contributors.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 10:12 by Jubbahey

BOO wrote:Looks like 606v2 is going to be a Federer, Djokovic site in the main with the likes of bogbrush,socal and Tenez being the main contributors.

Well at least it keeps them all in one place Smile

Hi Wooffie, thanks for visiting, drop by anytime. At least you can be sure of a warm welcome without the usual "contraversial" posting.

I will have a pretty heavy hand with regard to wumming or any any-player posts. Deletions and bans will be the order every day if and when it persists.

I'm not looking to have 5000 members, 100 would be great in the end, as long as we all get on and can talk about things in an adult manner then this site will fill a hole that I feel was lost when 606 went down, even given all its problems and trolls.

Maybe all these Sports sites will deflate and posters migrate to specific forums in the near future, as I can see where V2 went wrong, trying to cater for every members needs across the whole spectrum of sport and having the problem of drawing the line at the very bottom of expectations, ie, the boxing threads where anything goes. Your sites looking nice and simple Wooffie, a place to just chat about your favourite player, who needs bells and whistles in the end.

See ya.

Jubba

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 12:21 by Guest

Jubba

Just a thought - but if for example we are getting posters from 606v2 and The Rafateers, where the layout on both Forums is identical, and everybody knows now how to navigate them, then wouldn't it be wise to have the same layout?

I know that we will have our own headings/topics which goes without saying.

Or maybe you want this site to be different?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 12:26 by Guest

I checked the latest rankings and Andy Murray is closer to overtaking Roger Federer than he is of being overtaken in the rankings. A great hard court season and who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 12:35 by Guest

The problem I had with 606v2 was encountering an Admin who openly felt it was fine to come on to a totally unrelated topic and say he hated Andy Murray. What chance of fair moderation if that is their stance?

I think these sort of forums are the way forward - seperate for Murray fans, Rafa fans etc. Now I know a lot of the Rafa fans and they tend to be placid and friendly like the genuine Murray fans so I feel at ease mingling with them. Novak Djokovic fans are generally fine but for some reason it is Fed fans who stick their oar in too much but they aren't all like that I must add.

Sensible way of moderating forum you have there Jubbahey and the very best of luck to you.

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 13:09 by Guest

I'm kind of moving towards the view that separate player forums are the way forward. Its a shame, cos in the early days I thought v2 was going to work as there was a definite effort from all fans to try and rub along because we had become so sick of what we encountered before on 606. However, there were those that loved 606 and were happy to replicate exactly the same behaviours. And the trouble is, those extremists give credence to the other little squeebs out there and before you know it, chaos ensues. It doesn't help when such behaviours are endorsed by admins. either. Anyhow, I hope they are all happy bed-fellows.

We're not interested in big numbers, we just want somewhere to post and I suppose what I do like is that we have the control amongst us now as to the kind of forum we want, and we will moderate it accordingly. And take no prisoners, by the way Wink

That said, I have introduced Tennis Talk as a category because some of us just like to talk tennis in general too, not just Rafa related, and I also thought that might be more of an easier place for passers by to talk tennis in general or just chat.

Just as an aside, I decided to replicate the v2 layout just because of using it at work and we had got used to moving around it, so it seemed like the easiest option.

Anyhow ... good luck again ... and I'm sure we'll all crack this into what we want.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 13:49 by Guest

606v2 was an improvement on the old 606 because for the Murray fans there was a definate lack of some of the undesirables, usual football wums appearing every time Andy won or lost.

Having said that it has become evident that in the case of Rafa certain individual posters have a campaign against him and without any help from most of the mods to stop it, it has forced Rafa fans to go elsewhere and Murray fans are following likewise.

There had also been comments from certain mods to encourage the wrong type of debate not only for him but also for Andy which in turn only encourages the undesirable type of post which no genuine tennis fan wants, so by also keeping other sports out of this new forum it is a definate plus and avoids migration by the wrong type of poster.

It would be good to have fans of other players participating and if the rules which Jubba has laid out and these in turn are enforced, which there is no reason why they can't then for sure this is the way forward.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 16:50 by cats_r_c

Hi everyone.  Cats_r_cool here, just stopping by to wish you best of luck with your new home.  Will certainly pop by from time to time.

Not sure if I am posting correctly though as it won't allow me to input my full user name but then I am a bit of a muppet with all things technical as my fellow Rafateers will confirm  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 17:39 by Guest

cats_r_c wrote:Hi everyone.  Cats_r_cool here, just stopping by to wish you best of luck with your new home.  Will certainly pop by from time to time.

Not sure if I am posting correctly though as it won't allow me to input my full user name but then I am a bit of a muppet with all things technical as my fellow Rafateers will confirm  Very Happy

Hello Cats nice to see you - as you can see it's not only Rafa fans that were fed up with the wumming etc. on 606v2 but some of us are following you guys lead and doing something positive about it.

I think as things develop there will be stronger relationships between Rafa & Andy fans for the future.

Here's hoping i Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 18:39 by Guest

Just wonder whether it would be an idea uniting the two breakaway forums?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:08 by Jubbahey

CC, maybe in the future when we've all got used to our different formats, our wum free atmosphere and freedom to talk about our player without stupid moderation, then if we do get on, there might be a good reason to talk about an amalgamation, but not quite yet. (I did think about this a few days ago, but then I thought its too early to consider such a thing)

I do intend to ban, erase, exterminate any of the kind of posting that we had on both 606 and V2, it obvious when they do it, and its also obvious, even if done subtly, that they are only trying to cause trouble.

I think there are enough of here right now, that can see a wum at twenty paces, so I have no worries or conscience to delete them immediately. Any newcomers will see by example that this is not a site for argumentative twaddle and hopefully they will keep a civil tongue.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:10 by Jubbahey

Hi Cats, good to see you. I'll check that strange error you encountered, it might be in the settings concerning user-input.

Drop by any time for a chat, you lot are always welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:10 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Just wonder whether it would be an idea uniting the two breakaway forums?

I suppose its possible - you could have a Murray Section for his fans (like Rafa has) and spread out the rest, general tennis talk etc. etc.

What your thoughts Jubba + others?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:14 by Jubbahey

I do agree keeping the same layout would be good for people migrating from V2, easier for them to sync in (pun intended) but I have always been a bit of a rebel,but I am also open minded enough to accept the general opinion of all our users. I like what we have at the moment, what do you all think, does it need toning down? is it confusing? I really don't mind if anyone has got reservations about the layout, so please tell me what you think about it so far.

Personally, I find the thread headers confusing, they repeat themselves as you go deeper into each section. I'm trying to play with the settings, but can't seem to find a happy medium.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:19 by Jubbahey

I tried to merge this topic with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but I have to find a way of unstickying it, copying it and moving it without losing any data. the reason being I don't think we need the sticky any more, and to carry on the conversations somewhere more apt.

I may have to take the site offline a while to do this Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:53 by Guest

"I find the thread headers confusing, they repeat themselves"

Agree too much information.

Compare it with the Rafateers front end.

I think Cats r cool and woofie were both unsure where to put their post.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:56 by Guest

Well perhaps you should have a section for....Introductions?

Perhaps one as well for Suggestions (ie ideas for the forum)?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 21:16 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well perhaps you should have a section for....Introductions?

Perhaps one as well for Suggestions (ie ideas for the forum)?

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 22:00 by Jubbahey

Yep, a rethink of the front end is in order.

I'll have to do a story board on paper and try to work out a better interface.

don't hold your breath anyone !!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 22:06 by Guest

Something like this would work FINE:-

Section For Rules

Introduction Section

Grand Slam Section

Masters Cup Section

ATP And Rankings Section

Davis Cup Section

General Chat Section

Suggestions Section

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 22:15 by Jubbahey

That was my line of thinking CC, rather than have a section broken down into sub sections, its better to have forums for each category.

I tried to lock the site for construction, but it doesnt seem to have worked. Sad oh well, things might look a bit weird in the next half hour LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 23:19 by Guest

Looks pretty good now I'd say.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 23:41 by Guest

Looks much better Jubba

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 15:39 by Guest

Hi all !!

It all looks much better Jubba. Just for the record, I have been thinking a bit since Craig suggested merging the sites, but a bit of admin. about us first. We are now on our own domain name of therafateers ... so that's obviously something we're not going to give up right now, but nor does it reflect what you guys are about either.

For me (and I know this does sound rather dramatic as its just the internet), but I'm a bit battle weary regarding this whole tennis forum thing, to be honest. The group on our forum have known each other for a while now and we just want to post in peace for a bit. We obviously enjoyed your input which is why we wanted to keep in touch when we left, and you know that you can come and chat on our tennis thread when the tournaments are up and running again, or alternatively, the Talk Tennis thread is for inter-fan chat and tennis discussion on our forum. And equally, we can pop over here any time for a chat too. Perhaps now is just for a period of calm and to build up our own forums into what we want them to be.

I must say that I do like the idea of a tennis site for all, but perhaps its too much of a Utopia thing right now.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum