Queen's Club - ATP 250

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Queen's Club - ATP 250

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 10:29

Wot no thread?

Andy begins his campaign to defend his title here, today at about 2pm (second match on Centre, play starting at 12.30pm). He had a bye in the first round and this second round match is against Marathon Man Nicolas Mahut - a good grass court player with the advantage of having already played one match here, though not on Centre. Andy should be fine, but he'll have to be reasonably careful at first.

H2H is 2-O in Andy's favour, but both matches were on hard.

Back to top Go down

Re: Queen's Club - ATP 250

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 11:00

Will be interesting to see if he makes any gestures towards his back today and give any sign that it is still a niggle. I'm still not totally convinced its gone away, but it is something that can be managed, a bit like Nadal's knees a year ago, so match fitness may not be a problem if the injury stays in the background.

I'm hoping he doesn't win this year, so he can go into Wimbledon with the hunger to win even keener. I think he'll need every ounce of motivation to get the silverware and winning Queens has maybe taken its toll in the last two years. IMO of course.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 16:39

Scary stuff if you are a Murray fan. Only switched on at the end of the second set of Murray V Mahut with the Frenchman a set up and taking the second set to a tie-break. It was evenly poised at 4-4 in the breaker when Murray showed some class to take the tie-break 7-4. Andy has broken right at the start of the third set and now looks far more relaxed but still getting used to playing on grass again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 17:37

A shocker I am afraid at Queens for Andy Murray he has lost against Niclas Mahut 3-6 7-6 6-7 in the Second Round. Andy's return game was really pretty poor today by his standards but at least he stayed fit. Very disappointing but we all know the real challenges lie at Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 17:43

Well this is going to be a short thread!

Far too tentative in the first 2 sets, and even some of the third. At least he shouldn't suffer from media over-hype at Wimbledon! He could definitely have done with one or two more matches before then, though. I'm hoping for a much kinder draw at the start, to get himself into the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 21:04

I didnt wish it to end so soon, but I at least, and I'm sure Murray, can take a good positive away from this.

More time to prepare better for Wimbledon.

I have always thought he struggled at the opening rounds of Wimbledon after he played deep or won Queens. I'm not sure the surface is a good prep for SW19. The grass there is completely different. Queens has been slippy for the last 3 years and the bounce is softer than Wimbledon. I'd rather he went off and took solace in practising his aggressive ground strokes than go all the way to lift the Queens cup again. He's peaked one too many times too, at the Aegon classic, so I have no worries for him at this time.

But I do expect him to come out the blocks, guns smoking from round one at the green slam and peak at the right time in the semis and quarters to give him a solid shot at the final. At least he has more time to train than worry about keeping his footing on this weeks surface, and Wimbledon now has a roof of course.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 21:16

Yes Jubba I agree. Disappointing though it was today - it means nothing in the context of Wimbledon. At least as well it will give him an extra few days rest. We know he can win tournaments on grass so another title at Queens would tell us nothing we already know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 12:33

Bit disappointing for those that had paid to watch and wanted Andy through to the final, however his opponent played well and Andy had an average performance but no signs of the back problem.

The last twice he has won this event and we know what happened at Wimbledon.

Could this be a reversal in fortunes, let's hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:57

Not sure what is going on at Queens, the seeded players are dropping out rapidly, Tsonga lost earlier. Not too down with Andy's loss, I don't think there is too much going on with him injury wise, and I'm now looking forward to Wimbledon a little bit more. Come on oor Andy, and hopefully avoid Mahut in the draw (although I would think it would be a much different result in the slam than at Queens).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:32

I would have taken Andy to win yesterday if it had been over 5 sets - or even a long third.

But it is quite rare for the winner of Queens to win Wimbledon as well, so. . . Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:49

Decrepitude wrote:I would have taken Andy to win yesterday if it had been over 5 sets - or even a long third.

But it is quite rare for the winner of Queens to win Wimbledon as well, so. . . Smile

Well it is now as the surfaces play so differently. Queens plays much faster than Wimbledon does now so it is not such a crucial form pointer to Wimbledon as it once was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 20:36

I'm currently watching a re-run of Murray v Gasquet at Wimbledon in 2008 on ESPN. I could watch this match every day and never get tired of seeing it. The grit and emotion Andy showed that day would be nice to see again in a couple of weeks time, although he is more composed and channels all that raw emotion in a more professional way these days and I kind of miss it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 20:40

MTS1 wrote:I'm currently watching a re-run of Murray v Gasquet at Wimbledon in 2008 on ESPN. I could watch this match every day and never get tired of seeing it. The grit and emotion Andy showed that day would be nice to see again in a couple of weeks time, although he is more composed and channels all that raw emotion in a more professional way these days and I kind of miss it.

That was a classic match and saw Andy really stamp himself on the game showing his now trademark impossible winners from all areas of the court. Aggression is the key for Andy and if he can work himself up into an agitated state it really seems to help him focus and everything comes together including the serve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 20:41

Another shock today at Queens with Tsonga (No.2 seed) losing in three sets to Ivan Dodig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 23:14

Looks like the surface is not as it used to be.

I know he's said Eastbourne is out, but Roddick has gone down there, and the playing surface is a lot closer to that of Wimbledon than Queens, due to the fact that Devonshire Park is very close to sea level and has been artificially built on top of sandy beach, like a links course, but done over a 100 years ago.

They had an indoor swimming pool, with steam and cool baths attached a la Victorian style, that was below sea level and the tide used to fill up one of the baths there and empty when the tide went out. Then it fell into disrepair and became home to a huge family of wild cats. Now its a huge hotel, don't know what happened to the cats though.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 23:47

I don't think Andy M would even consider a tournament the week before a slam. It's ok for Andy R, he is desperately short of match practice, but although our Andy has only had one match on the grass he had plenty of matches on clay which Roddick did not.

Far more important to get the back right. I'm not sure I agree with those who say he showed no sign of problem on Tuesday, I thought he was being very tentative, particularly with the serve action. Tentative rather than the usual passive. To be honest, having said last week that he was not sure he would be playing Queen's, I rather suspect he only went there because he had just signed a contract with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 8:01

Well it is possible the injury was still hampering him or it way have been that there was a difference in the serve action as he was trying new things out. I suppose we will never know. Lets remember that Djokovic had played no grass court tournaments last year prior to Wimbledon and he won it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 17:12

I have just read on another forum that Jamie says Andy withdrew from playing doubles with him because the doctors said to rest his back, and that he has been having cortisone injections and intensive physiotherapy. Apparently it was from an article in the Evening Standard.

Last edited by Decrepitude on Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 17:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add source)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 21:55

Decrepitude wrote:I have just read on another forum that Jamie says Andy withdrew from playing doubles with him because the doctors said to rest his back, and that he has been having cortisone injections and intensive physiotherapy. Apparently it was from an article in the Evening Standard.

Well it really cannot be too serious as Andy Murray has announced today that he will now play in an exhibition tournament that includes Novak Djokovic at The Boodles tournament next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 17:25

Oh Dear, what has he done !

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/nalbandian-disqualified-kicking-official-145952330.html

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 17:29

Stupid man needs anger management classes. Ok, smash a racquet or two, I don't have a problem with that - but lashing out and kicking a board with an official inches behind it. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 17:59

What a crazy way to lose an ATP final. Afterwards he wasn't really apologetic and even had a dig at the ATP. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 18:32

Laughable excuse, if you could call it that, no shame at all. Could have been a little more chivalrous to Cilic too, but I don't believe he feels any remorse for his actions.

Pity the crowd though, they should've got their money back and Nalby should pay for the costs. Bet there's lots of revenue lost in the event too probably.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum