Wimbledon Draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wimbledon Draw

The draw hasn't been too kind to Andy Murray. He will face Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals should both get that far and his first round opponent os former world No.5 Nikolay Davydenko. I will let you know more when it comes to light.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Wimbledon Draw :: Comments

Post on Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 12:21 by Guest

I will rephrase that - a very tough draw for Andy me thinks.

Potential opponents:-

1st Round - Nikolay Davydenko

2nd Round - Ivo Karlovic

3rd Round - Kevin Anderson

4th Round - Marin Cilic/Milos Raonic

QF - Juan Martin del Potro/Ferrer

SF - Radal Nadal

Final - Djokovic/Federer

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 19:58 by Guest

Totally agree CC, glanced at it at work and despaired Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 20:22 by Guest

At first I was very worried with Davydenko and Karlovic but now am less so as both are now past their best. For me the real trouble comes in the 4th Round with Milos Raonic who is up and coming, has a fearsome serve and has beaten Andy in his one match against him earlier this year. The QF against Del Potro or Ferrer well I'd much sooner take Ferrer as he is less of a threat on grass and then it would be Rafa. Shocked

One thing is sure Andy must hit the ground running at Wimbledon 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 10:04 by Guest

Its a tough first week and the energy usually conserved for the second week may get used up by then. Delpo I'm not too bothered about as Andy is a good match up with him, moving him all over the court that he doesn't particularly like. Wasn't there also a question mark over his fitness re his knee? Raonic's booming serve on grass is a worry. Ferrer I think Andy could win against. Not sure about Karlovic, still hits a lot of aces, again on grass. But you are right, he will need to hit the ground running.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 15:00 by Jubbahey

I'm not liking this draw, it has too many permutations and if Andy's game is slightly off, it may prove disastrous.

Its all about his serve for me, if that doesn't come up to scratch, he's fighting an uphill battle just to stay in a match, and yes, out of all of those its Raonic, which is ironic given he looks to have a better serve than Murray on paper this year, but his ranking defies this danger at the moment.

For me, Murray is now an underdog and if its said the top 3 have pushed further ahead, I think its Murray who may have crept back towards the following pack with his new tactical regime. Lets hope we see some kind of progress with Lendl's influence at Wimbledon, otherwise it may be another short visit for Andy and another few weeks off to improve.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 15:42 by Guest

I am fairly confident now he'll come through the first three rounds which will see him into the second week. It is the 4th Round potential match-up against Raonic that is the concern. However, lets remember although Raonic has an excellent serve his return is poor as is his movement compared to other top players. My concern is more with Murray as he hasn't had an ideal last few weeks what with injury concerns and poor results on grass though that may be down to the injury. As I said not an ideal way to go into Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jun 2012 - 23:57 by Jubbahey

I'm praying that Lendl can eradicate the English disease, that defines our spirit sometimes.

Must not lose, rather than must win.

Defend rather than attack.

As we've seen with the English footballers, give them a sniff of confidence and away go the chocks and the pedal's through the floor.

Same with Murray, when he gets just an ounce of confidence, something switches on and he goes into overdrive and dispatches opponents almost with ease, out go the nerves and jingles and in comes the enjoyment and power play.

Its a joy to behold, but if his confidence in his serve is hit, then the rest of his game suffers.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jun 2012 - 11:51 by Guest

I wouldn't say it was that with Andy. He really is a complex beast (in the nicest possible sense) to work out. I do feel that when he is aggressive/angry he becomes more focussed and his game level goes up by 5 to 10%. It is this level he must strive for in the bigger matches like slam semis. First task at Wimbledon is to restore a bit of confidence and self-belief after recent disappointments and he has the chance to do that in the early rounds. The draw has given him suitably tough enough matches to get him fully focussed and into his stride and should he reach the quarters or semis I think he - like me will fancy his chances. The key - one match at a time.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jun 2012 - 13:49 by Guest

After reading the papers today, I think the anger element will have upped, he is really getting fed up with the detractors and his 'imaginery back pain' Mad If as you say CC he becomes more focussed when angry then he may coming out firing on all cylinders. I truly hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jun 2012 - 15:04 by Guest

Well that is how it has always seemed with me about his angry phase. If angered he gets aggressive and that transfers to his game - that was perfectly clear to see V Gasquet at French Open when the crowds were riling him and Gasquet was remonstrating. Suddenly, his serve percentage rocketed up as well and inspirational shots were flowing off his raquet to such a degree that he turned a lot of the boos into applause for his shots. More of that please Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum