Wimbledon 2012

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wimbledon 2012

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 14:53

Sorry Sol, missed you.

Its 6-1 to Murray in H2H stats and 2-0 on grass. (wo at Queens last year though)

Cilic (R18) was tested in the 1st round by Stebe (R77), not much by Kubot (R49) and had a marathon with Querry (R64), so for me Andy should roll over Cilic on Monday in straights, as long as Murray plays positive and firm, he should do the business. The only area I would fancy Cilic in is baseline play, but Andy has too many options to take that out on grass and as he stated last night, he was nervous and not sure footed and the ball pocket was not giving him any help either. He got through all that, so for me its the quarters for Andy and thats where the fun starts, either Ferrer of Potro, both dangerous on grass, but still greatly fancy his chances there, followed by a probable Tsonga/Kolly opponent and what I think will then be a Federer final. Looking at how Roger is playing, I reckon he'll upset Djoko's run and if Murray can overcome his terrible draw and manage to reach the final, he has a good chance, not an outside one, to take Federer to at least 5 sets, even win it. This tournie may well be the making of Andy and herald a new player.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 17:05

Honestly I think the Government have to seriously consider issuing a public health warning if you want to be a Murray fan. My blood pressure just cannot cope with the rollercoaster ride especially not at 11:02pm centre court time but to him for closing out the match in split second precision timing. Just as well Rolex are the sponsers.

Anyhoo he got there in the end, and yes there was plenty of .

Order of play out for Monday. Andy is second on Court 1. Normally I would be wary of Cilic, but that match with Querry must surely play a part in the outcome of this match. Hopefully the wind also goes away to make the conditions a little more suitable for Andy. Here we go again........

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 21:09

LOL MTS1.....I was spitting fire for the first 2 sets, then I missed his comeback mode completely in the 3rd set from 4-1 down.

I am not worried by Cilic unless he manages to play out of his skin and into superhuman levels. The last time he beat Murray was in the US Open 2009 and our man had a wrist injury, the beginning of a six week layoff after damaging it even further in the Davis Cup. I think Cilic is going to be the weakest link in all his draw this year at SW19.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 22:14

MTS1 wrote:Honestly I think the Government have to seriously consider issuing a public health warning if you want to be a Murray fan.

Thanks for the info on Cilic, Jubbs. I'm not so scared now Very Happy

Come on Andy!

As usual my work schedule means that yet again I'll miss seeing Andy play Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 23:08

Jubbahey wrote:LOL MTS1.....I was spitting fire for the first 2 sets, then I missed his comeback mode completely in the 3rd set from 4-1 down.

I am not worried by Cilic unless he manages to play out of his skin and into superhuman levels. The last time he beat Murray was in the US Open 2009 and our man had a wrist injury, the beginning of a six week layoff after damaging it even further in the Davis Cup. I think Cilic is going to be the weakest link in all his draw this year at SW19.

Funny you should say that I remember it well - Had he not had the wrist problem I am sure he would have beaten Cilic then his next match would have been against the man that Federer gave an early Xmas present to in the final, Del Boy, who I believe he could also have beaten - who knows what would have happened then!

Same pattern this year Cilic then possibly Del Boy? - could it be a Fed v Andy final I wonder!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 23:30

At the time BOO, I thought he'd forgotten how to swing a tennis racquet, but of course we all found out he'd got an injury. Fed was all out of sorts in the final and Del Boy just punished Feds backhand all day.

What could have been is relegated to the mists of "if only" so we'll never know sadly. But yes, Andy was having a good year then if I remember rightly. I think he went on to do quite well after the rest and won in Spain somewhere. But the WFT's ended with him losing a knockout place by a game in the round robin segment, which was harsh but fair I suppose.

Sneaky feeling it could be your final prediction BOO.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 23:37

Wot? No comments on today's scheduling?

I don't fancy the officials trying to defend their schedule if Delpo/Ferrer get their match played under the roof tomorrow and Andy and Cilic have to play the rest of their match on Wednesday. The weather forecast for tomorrow is dreadful, and come to that Wednesday doesn't look much better. The bottom half of the draw, except for Delpo/Ferrer, might still be trying to finish their 4th round on Thursday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 8:54

Back from my event I was organising and yes I agree Decrep it is shocking scheduling for a few reasons. Firstly, they have Centre Court (with a roof) and they could and should have put it to use last night after the Djoko match which only finished at 8pm. The Murray match was a set and a half old and could easily of been completed last night. Secondly, I feel he should have been on Centre already as Murray V Cilic is a more mouth-watering match than Federer V Malisse which was always was going to be a bit one-sided as was the Djoko V Troicki match. I mean come on the Aussies and the Yanks give preferential treatment to their players but Wimbledon not only land Andy with the toughest of draws but harm his chances with poor scheduling. Finally, today why isn't he on Centre? There is a very fair chance that play may be rained off today (apart from Centre) so where does that leave Andy? No doubt after the scheduled matches are completed on Centre at around 8pm they will shove Andy on so why not do it last night as rain was forecast for today even yesterday. banghead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 14:10

Andy Murray beats Marin Cilic 7-5 6-2 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals at Wimbledon. He had a very good rhythm going today and service game was very good. Encouraging stuff and next up is either David Ferrer or Juan Martin del Potro (looks certain to be Ferrer). I don't like to heap pressure or expectation on Andy but this has to be the best chance (to date) that he has had to win Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 20:02

Great to see Andy's serve inflicting some damage. If he can keep this going then Ferrer may struggle against him. But watching Ferrer today he was buzzing around the court, although I think Delpo was a bit unsure of the footing and he is a big guy to shift himself around. I fancy Mr Murray tomorrow, Come On Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 20:38

I am quietly confident that Andy will win in perhaps three tight sets. Ferrer looked good today but Del Potro failed to get going.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 21:08

Lets hope so CC, he's second on Centre Court tomorrow after Fed. Djoko and Tsonga on Court 1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 21:19

Its a tough nut to crack tomorrow, but I'm not sure Ferrer is going to have it so easy against a player who can mix it up as Murray. Del boy was always going to struggle against a fellow clay courter in Ferrer, as he is playing better tennis than the Argy. They are consummate baseliners and the winner is the one who can hit it harder and more accurately.

Murray takes the sting out of baseliner play on grass with slices and drop shots, slower balls and occasional loops (moonballing), and now he's learnt to hit the corners with venom, its going to be more difficult for Ferrer to beat Murray than the other way around.

All Murray has to do is take the initiative from Ferrer's tactics and it could be over in as much as 3 sets. But I think Andy is going to play cool tomorrow and might lose a set when Ferrer pumps up the pressure, but I see Andy winning this in 4. He would have had a harder job playing Del Boy, he hits it flatter and Murray likes them shots not a lot.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 21:20

I agree with Boris on BBC2 just now. Andy must dictate the rallies and stamp his authority and if so he will win. Too passive and he runs the risk of getting beaten. Lets hope Andy sees this as a chance for revenge from the French Open and takes a bit of anger onto the court.

The pressure is really on now. I cannot believe he will get a better chance to win Wimbledon than this year as the draw has opened up for him. It is the same for Federer (who is in the twilight of his career) in that you feel if they don't win it this year then they will never win it again in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 22:29

I think Delpo made Ferrer look better than he actually was today. I have seen some people describe the Argentinian's movement on grass as like a cow on ice. Actually I disagree.

To me he moves more like a pregnant elephant in a bog.

Anyway Andy should win unless he has a VERY bad day - the H2H may be 5:5, but nearly all Ferrer's wins have come on clay - Andy's worst surface - and the only one on hard was last year's WTF when Andy was injured and pulled out of the tournament before the next match. They have never met on grass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 11:28

Sadly, I will miss most of the tennis today so will say 'Best Of Luck Andy'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 20:07

I watched all the match today.

I'm thrilled with how Andy played!!

I think he plays Tsonga in the SF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 20:35

Is it safe to come out? What a match, great play from both of them, some unbelievable shots. So relieved Andy made it through. Friday ain't gonna be easy against Tsonga (and he's one of my fav players after Andy) but just think what a win will do........ is it too much to hope for Nole and Fed to have a gruelling 5 hour 5 setter Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 21:27

Followed the match on phone app at work and must of looked like an expectant father marching up and down nervously looking at my phone. As I gather it Andy started nervously but gradually got into the match and finished strongly in the last two sets. His serving stats were poor in the opening set before improving and it proved to be a gutsy win for Andy. Next up Jo-Wilifried Tsonga and he couldn't have asked for a better chance to reach a Wimbledon Final following Nadal's sensational early defeat. The stats say Andy should win and should he be nervous then I am sure he'll be aide as Tsonga has been known to suffer nerves as well. Fingers crossed for Andy and I can't wait for Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 21:58

I like your description Decrepitude, and the score line of the Ferrer/Delboy match proves it.

Ferrer may well be a good athlete and stayer, but he hasn't got much else apart from that. He can hit winners etc, but his biggest weapon is the ability to keep the ball in play, but that relies on the other player giving him the chance to get the ball back.

No surprise then that Nadal doesn't do that and their head to head states that Rafa knows where to hit the ball in the places that David finds uncomfortable.

Murray didnt do that for most of the 1st set, playing to Ferrer's backhand almost as a single play for the whole set. Woke up a bit in the tie break but left it too late. Didnt begin to move until mid way through 2nd set and it wasn't until he was 2-5 down in the TB that he suddenly got it together and produced some amazing play. That was that from then on in, a couple of relapses, but he pulled it together again and shut Ferrer out. Yes, Ferrer came back a few times and caused problems, but Murray is experienced enough now to counter these and knuckle down.

Most impressed with his temperament again today, two games of self flagellation went without much drama and he quickly got his act together and focused his mind back to the job. That was key imo, his new attitude.

His finish in the 4th set was stunning and its easy to be complacent about his ability to close out a match, but that was something else today. His ace to win the match said volumes about him as a player now, as did his previous love service game. If he can remain as focused for such long periods in matches now, he stands a much bigger chance to lift a trophy, and the semi looks to be a statistical dream come true for him.

After beating Karlovic and Ferrer, prob the two most difficult players in his half, this match against Tsonga must rate easier, but as we know, things do not always work out on paper as they do on court. Still, its a win bonanza for Murray, if he continues in the same vein.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 22:08

Jubbahey wrote:I like your description Decrepitude, and the score line of the Ferrer/Delboy match proves it.

Ferrer may well be a good athlete and stayer, but he hasn't got much else apart from that. He can hit winners etc, but his biggest weapon is the ability to keep the ball in play, but that relies on the other player giving him the chance to get the ball back.

No surprise then that Nadal doesn't do that and their head to head states that Rafa knows where to hit the ball in the places that David finds uncomfortable.

Murray didnt do that for most of the 1st set, playing to Ferrer's backhand almost as a single play for the whole set. Woke up a bit in the tie break but left it too late. Didnt begin to move until mid way through 2nd set and it wasn't until he was 2-5 down in the TB that he suddenly got it together and produced some amazing play. That was that from then on in, a couple of relapses, but he pulled it together again and shut Ferrer out. Yes, Ferrer came back a few times and caused problems, but Murray is experienced enough now to counter these and knuckle down.

Most impressed with his temperament again today, two games of self flagellation went without much drama and he quickly got his act together and focused his mind back to the job. That was key imo, his new attitude.

His finish in the 4th set was stunning and its easy to be complacent about his ability to close out a match, but that was something else today. His ace to win the match said volumes about him as a player now, as did his previous love service game. If he can remain as focused for such long periods in matches now, he stands a much bigger chance to lift a trophy, and the semi looks to be a statistical dream come true for him.

After beating Karlovic and Ferrer, prob the two most difficult players in his half, this match against Tsonga must rate easier, but as we know, things do not always work out on paper as they do on court. Still, its a win bonanza for Murray, if he continues in the same vein.

I agree with that.

My feeling is Andy should and will win against Tsonga and become the first British man in the final since 1938. However, I will say a couple of words of caution - Andy Roddick (2009).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 22:12

CaledonianCraig wrote:....and must of looked like an expectant father marching up and down nervously looking at my phone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 23:02

Good performance from "The Roller Coaster Man"

For sure he has had the toughest draw out of all the semi-finalists and with a 5-1 h2h against Tsonga hopefully he should win this one as well.

Against Tsonga he has won at Queens and Wimbledon both on grass so lets hope for a win in as few sets as possible and hope Novak & Old Roger go to five sets in around six hours! lol!

Last edited by BOO on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 23:03; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 23:03

I think I have just about recovered from that match now.

Tomorrow I will start worrying about Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 5 Jul 2012 - 21:28

Well how is everybody on the eve of the big match? Butterflies in the stomach? Worried? Well I hate to be so quietly confident but I can't help it as Andy has the upper-hand in the head-to-heads (5-1), has won their last few meetings and on grass as well and is the more consistent of the two players. I will be very surprised and gutted if Andy loses. He'll never get a better chance to reach a Wimbledon Final and I think he must realise this. It's now or never Andy. Still though I think back to 2009 and Andy Roddick. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum