The Footsie index

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Footsie index

Now the postmortem has been made and England can return to normality somewhat, the real detective work can begin.

Just what is wrong with English football.

It can boast a supreme level of investment, the biggest grass roots infrastructure in British sport, more clubs and facilities than any other sport, and enough leagues to last till the end of time. Local business sponsorship almost goes without saying, parks and indoor pitches galore, a user base that includes all schools and a recreational habit that gives every child a chance to kick a cheap ball around at the drop of a hat anywhere in Britain at any one time.

Wow, so why is our home grown game so far behind that of Europe or the rest of the world, including third world countries and the African states. We look to have enough talent to fill a national side, but we always seem to lack cohesion or tactical nous when it comes to playing the more imaginative sides. The media have been banging on about the fact that we have a 35% share of English players in the premiership to that of foreign players, but surely that gives us strength and experience to play against them at National levels ?

Is it our 4-4-2 formation that squanders out talent ? but this is what we play with, week in and week out at club level, we should be able to keep possession and move the ball about with this shape without having to think about it.

Is it our lack of determination and automatic loss of confidence going into certain games v certain sides ?, but we have played well against Germany in the past and teams like Holland and Spain, we have enough experienced players to facilitate a competitive match. But where does it all go wrong ?

Why do we lose the plot and become dithering idiots with a round object they have suddenly forgotten the point of and then lose all sense of proportion on how to mount an attack ? The managers fault ? the FA's fault ?

I wish I knew, maybe we all need a sports psycho to analyse this attitude or disease that has beleaguered our players at National Level, because at club level they produce week after week.

Somebody must have an answer !

In the words of our great and illustrious pen and ink man "Nothing can come of nothing" - King Lear (I, i, 92)

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

The Footsie index :: Comments

Post on Mon 25 Jun 2012 - 22:20 by Guest

A neutral viewpoint here.

I would say there are several reasons. English football - or the style the play it has always been a tad more direct than the style played on the continent. England are now trying to modify themselves into that style but will find it tough. They lack the quality passers and players comfortable on the ball to be able to play that style. England (the national team) I do believe also suffers a bit from the huge influx of foreigners into the EPL. It means your younger talent such as Oxlade Chamberlain and Theo Walcott are not getting regular first team football and that doesn't help their development. I am not sure what the answer is to that one. It isn't all doom and gloom though as at least this tournament the organisation and team spirit was far better but still a lot of improvement to be made before you can really challenge to win tournaments.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jun 2012 - 23:29 by Jubbahey

We have played this style for years and it has always given us an edge over the hog the ball and pass it till the ball wears out. but this has never paid dividends to other styles because we are

A/ good in defense
B/ have a different set up in mid field

What this does is stagnate the style of football, say like Spain and Italy, but the Germans who play our kind of football with a mix of Latin American attacking football thrown in, are looking to be the favs for this tournie as much as the next WC. We can and have done the same thing in other games in big competitions, I've seen us play really good fluent football, attacking and controlling, but something gives and we regress back in to our shells. It has happened many times over the last 25 years and it has become almost a national habit.

I can't fault our spirit and our defense must be one of the best in the world, but that won't win matches on its own. When we create space and build an attack, players like Walcott come into their own and as we have seen, we can beat teams like Sweden with ease. Yes, that sort of style can give goals away, but its a price a side has to pay to try and score.

I can't put a finger on it, but it must be as much psychological as much as technique.

Does this sound familiar territory we have been over before with Murray Smile ?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum