Original chat

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Original chat

Hello all!! Not sure quite where to post this, but I just want to say ... if you can't beat 'em create your own forum! Good luck with it all, and like us, I hope you end up with the kind of forum you want.

Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Original chat :: Comments

Post on Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 13:40 by Guest

Is the link to 606 via h2g2 still around?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 14:20 by Guest

laverfan wrote:Is the link to 606 via h2g2 still around?

I don't know, laverfan, but I can still access 606 via the link to my home page, which I still have.

I've noticed that if you click on the various sports down the left hand side of the forum, nothing comes up, it will probably all disappear soon.

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 15:29 by Jubbahey

Go look at "Recent Posts" on 606, thats the only record left of anything we posted. Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, any link from H2G2 to 606 comes up with an error.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 15:59 by Jubbahey

I see H2G2 has been sold and our (if you had one) accounts will be transferred over automatically. But you will still have to log in and accept rules etc to activate your account on the new website.

Why they couldn't do this with 606 is strange, but in a way its worked out for the best.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 19:45 by Guest

Hi Jubba,

Just want to congratulate you on the forum, taking shape real nice. Due to my work committments I tend to float in and out ( a bit like my tennis knowledge ) and fall off the radar, but I'm gonna make a concerted effort to visit here more often, just couldn't be bothered looking in on v2 when the wums grew and I very much appreciate you making me aware of this great place. Looking forward to seeing Andy defend the Rogers Cup in a couple of weeks and having some great chat with fellow Andy fans, (and any Rafateers who drop by for a ).

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 20:03 by Guest

Aw Solerina, you changed your avatar. The Shining is probably my favourite film, ever. Those twins freak me out, come play with us Danny affraid

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 20:19 by Guest

HHhheeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo out there!!

"I'm all alone"
"nobody here but us chickens"
"just one voice singing in the darkness"

I really need to adjust my timing, nobody is ever here when I visit.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 23:00 by Jubbahey

Sorry MT, weekends are a bit of a shot in the dark for me, don't know what's coming next or if the kids (15 + 20 now) are going out or staying in, do they weant feeding or need money, lift to friends house.

God, it was better when they were toddlers, they had to go where we went, end of.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 13:52 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:HHhheeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo out there!!

"I'm all alone"
"nobody here but us chickens"
"just one voice singing in the darkness"

I really need to adjust my timing, nobody is ever here when I visit.
Lol!

Hi MTS,

I'm manically busy most the time so I can't spend as much time on here as I'd like to.

I mainly work weekends and evenings and sometimes I do a 24 hour shift.

Like yourself I find I'm often on here on my own wth no one else around.....I think we must all be finding it to be like this.

We need to recruit new members but only nice ones.......I'd much rather quality than quantity.

Hopefully we'll have many more by the time it's the US Open......what joy it will be on here, then, being able to have friendly discussions (and debates ).

As for v2....well I'm still posting on there......just not in tennis. What a wasted opportunity for them they could have had one of the best tennis forum around....but I think it will probably end up being the worst!
Anyway, I'm much happier reading and talking about tennis, here, on Jubba's lovely forum....thanks Jubbs

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 18:47 by Jubbahey

Is that a pic of Murray winning the USO MT ?

I reckon he stands a better than average chance of winning it this year, even if Djoko is there in the final with him.

Compared to his match defeat to Novak, his game has rocketed in leaps and bounds since his bad run earlier and unless something derails him in the next two masters, I think this is perfect timing for him.

Forget the points and ranking, he can use these two tournies as a springboard for his new found confidence, which can only bolster his chances at the next slam. And add a good DC round into the bargain and he'll be difficult to beat.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 19:14 by Guest

Yep Jubba, thats oor Andy with Slam No. 1 under his belt (do they wear belts on their tennis shorts ). I agree Rafa and Roger have shown more than a few chinks in their game, and Nole has to run out of steam some time. Depends on the draw, but I have the strangest vibe that Roger/Rafa will be in the same half, with Andy and Nole in the other. We...............shall..............see................

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 19:26 by Guest

Hey Solerina,

I think with Jubba at the helm the forum won't go the way v2 went. I kinda thought what happened there would happen once 606 closed the site for good, as the wums had to surface somewhere. As I haven't been on any of the sites for a while, I didn't know until I read here what had happened with the Rafateers. I went to v2 and read over what happened, wasn't nice at all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I know Jubbahey and Caledonian Craig gave a good defence but the use of the word 'hate' by an Admin just puts me right off and then it got a bit out of hand. It is a shame as I really enjoyed v2 at the start. Good though that the Rafateers pop in here so all is not lost.

This forum can only go from strength to strength, and will be held in higher esteem than any of the others with the quality of members who have joined or yet to join up. I'm looking forward to the next couple of months for some decent tennis chat. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 19:30 by Guest

Right off to do the at least the sunny is shining. Oh joy!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 20:11 by Jubbahey

A large proportion of the blame for a bit of an exodus from V2 has to go to the admins.

They had the chance to put their foot down, but chose not to.

They have now shot themselves in the foot as far as I can tell. Allowing intimidating posts in the guise of "controversial" has opened the flood gates for the wums, esp the clever ones.

But then again, if that is what they wanted their forum to be, then it has worked out fine for them. In my brief tenure as a mod, I had a little insight into their thoughts and actions and I have to say, 90% of the crew that make up admins and mods are a good bunch of guys. My only sadness is that Hero didn't take command of the situation and show a bit of backbone, thereby giving certain posters the message that if you don't show respect towards players or members, then the exit door is the only option.

To be honest with everyone here, if it comes down to banning a shed load of posters who are bent upon rustling up trouble, the so be it, if that is the only way to secure a wum free zone and have a place to discuss tennis and Murray in sociable surroundings, then I'll do it.

I don't mind a bit here and there, of rib tickling and jokes aimed at players, but to be accepted here, we all have to acknowledge that there is a line and there is a time and a place for such things.
Yeah, we may step over occasionally, but most of us are able to use smilies to confer that attitude as a bit of idle banter
and it was a harmless dig. kiss etc etc.

But I don't think it will even get that far. Early on in V2 tennis life, we all got along and tried hard not to write anything that might upset people and it was only Tenez's appearance that began the slow slide into what is now, a free for all. it may get better if "they" disappear of the radar and the forum may well settle into something resembling the tennis forum we all want.

For now we have this, how long this lasts depends on its contributors and really, even if only one member posts a day, it will still be here.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 26 Jul 2011 - 21:19 by Guest

Evening all on the Monopodium

Hope you're all fine and enjoying your new home. We don't miss the old place one bit, and I think your summation, Jubba, that you have this place regardless is a good thing.

Its always difficult setting something up in a down period in tennis (remembering that since April, its been non stop with 2 Slams), but people just naturally want to talk tennis the minute it starts up again.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 27 Jul 2011 - 17:17 by Guest

Hi everyone. Just popped over to say hi and reading above I agree with everything. Banter is good and whilst sometimes something could be misconstrued in writing that's where smileys come into their own. Just so wished we'd had this one on v2 Mwahaha

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 27 Jul 2011 - 18:37 by Guest

Yep really looking forward to discussing tennis soon. Just booked my tickets for the Davis Cup and decent ones this time. Yee Haa

Hopefully Andy is fit after USO to play but still a great atmosphere with the other British guys if he doesn't make it. I is hoping very much he will

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 27 Jul 2011 - 18:45 by Jubbahey

Correct me if I'm wrong, (which is quite often) but Andy has to play this DC to get his qualification to play in the Olympics ?

Tired or no, he still has to play, but I don't think that will bother him, he's always up for a bit of DC in Scotland.

Oh, that was a bit unpatriotic from me, an Englishmen...Ha!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 27 Jul 2011 - 19:56 by Guest

Shock Jubba, naughty naughty you never know who is lurking to start the is he Scottish / British blah blah blah...................... But I hope you are right with the Olympics qualification I will indeed doubly rejoice if he graces the Braehead Arena in September, and ahem possibly as USO champ Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 27 Jul 2011 - 21:19 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:Shock Jubba, naughty naughty you never know who is lurking to start the is he Scottish / British blah blah blah...................... But I hope you are right with the Olympics qualification I will indeed doubly rejoice if he graces the Braehead Arena in September, and ahem possibly as USO champ Very Happy

Wouldn't it be nice if he was the USO champ along with the USO Golf champ (see my Avatar) Djokovic

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 17:03 by Jubbahey

Along with Lewis Hamilton, the F1 champion too.

We'd only need Nathan Cleverly to be WBC in 2011 and we'd have swept the boards from West Ireland to East Anglia, round the clock.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 19:06 by Guest

Yeah Boo/Jubba, I watched the footage of the interview with John MacEnroe, Rory and Andy, quite cool. We do indeed have some young Brits that make ya proud.

I'm such a woose and get very emotional watching Team GB and individual sportsmen/women on the podium. Years of hard work and dedication being rewarded with the highest honours with the national anthem being played and the Union Jack raised in the background. Gets me going every time.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:29 by Guest

BOO wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if he was the USO champ along with the USO Golf champ (see my Avatar)

Lol Boo......I assumed that pic was of you, with Andy.

Of course, I'd heard of Rory McIlroy, but, as I live in my own private universe and rarely watch TV, and don't read the papers, I had no idea what he looked like Embarassed

I've just reminded myself of a nice song....I'll go and find it on Youtube and put it on the video thread

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 22:50 by Jubbahey

I have read, almost one month later than published, Beckers condensed opinion of eras... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

""The McEnroe/Borg/Connors era wasn't easy, the Sampras/Agassi era wasn't
easy and the Becker/Edberg era wasn't easy. Every era has its good
players."

which was a response to.. ""But is he (Murray) unlucky that he plays in the era of Nadal and Federer? Absolutely not. There is never an era that is easy"

There is then mention of those years when there was an inbetween time of "easyness"... Goran Ivanisevic took advantage in 2001 and Lleyton Hewitt in 2002. Quoting the fact that Sampras was on the way out with Federer coming in, highlighting the Thomas Johansson win in Aussie 2002 to add fuel to his argument that there were about 2 years when any player could have won a slam.

If we look at the 4 years between 00-04 and the pros that landed a slam, or not quite, then it looks like this..

2004U.S. Open
Roger Federer
Lleyton Hewitt
2004Wimbledon
Roger Federer
Andy Roddick
2004French Open
Gaston Gaudio
Guillermo Coria
2004Australian

Roger Federer
Marat Safin
2003U.S. Open
Andy Roddick
Juan Carlos Ferrero
2003Wimbledon
Roger Federer
Mark Philippoussis
2003French Open
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Martin Verkerk
2003Australian

Andre Agassi
Rainer Schuettler
2002U.S. Open
Pete Sampras
Andre Agassi
2002Wimbledon
Lleyton Hewitt
David Nalbandian
2002French Open
Albert Costa
Juan Carlos Ferrero
2002Australian

Thomas Johannson
Marat Safin
2001U.S. Open
Lleyton Hewitt
Pete Sampras
2001Wimbledon
Goran Ivanisevic
Patrick Rafter
2001French Open
Gustavo Kuerten
Alex Corretja
2001Australian

Andre Agassi
Arnaud Clement
2000U.S. Open
Marat Safin
Pete Sampras
2000Wimbledon
Pete Sampras
Patrick Rafter
2000French Open
Gustavo Kuerten
Magnus Norman
2000Australian

Andre Agassi
Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Which shows Sampras going stale in 2000 and Federer only starting to dominate around 2004. so its actually 4 years when the slam finals were really "open".

Here again, in 2011, we have an "open" season, top 4 monopolising the finals and an odd one "Del Boy" bullying himself into the US open in 2009. But its only 2 years in to this season. And Djokovic has only really gone PRO in the last 10 months.

After 2012, I wonder who will make up the real top 4...Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and ????

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 22:28 by Jubbahey

I think I've just about had it with other forums.

The constant arguing for the sake of arguing is frustrating enough, so too is the barrage of anti player comments.

But whats getting me down is the fact that so many people have such strong convictions and opinions, based on something that either a player said off the cuff or in a news report from somebody who wasn't even there or somebody has lifted a comment from a column in some obscure internet site that only pastes what they think is going to create a bit of controversy and it gets plastered all over a forum as if the guy has just proclaimed war on the whole world.

Threads take on a whole new dimension, that of a fantasy world, where people argue facts that are fiction and fiction that is fact. Its a surreal world where nothing of what they say bears any relation to the real world as we know it. I wonder what the effort is all for.

Considering it is just a handful of posters, congregating on a forum from around the world, they represent such a pathetically small portion of humankind, whatever is said is not going to make a blind bit of difference. The constant war of attrition between, for example, the anti Murray brigade and his supporters is becoming farcical to the extreme.

I'm glad that we are taking a back seat now and letting the Wum Herd feast on their own turds. At some point they must realise that upon eating their own excrement more spews forth in their conversation. Its a bit of a merry go round, but I've jumped off now and looking through the latest stuff on V2, it seems that they relish their taste for BS and enjoy rolling about in it.

But its all a complete waste of time and breath, much like the annals of 606 are now long forgotten, we shall all disappear into the earth at some point and what of our words, our phrases and ideas, they'll account for nothing, all that will be remembered is the friendships and laughs and the camaraderie that some people shared with their support for a player or players and the excitement of watching them win and the sadness of seeing them lose.

Being in a group of like minded people just talking about the sport they love has far more relevance in life.

All the rest of it is just stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum