How good are Hungary ?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How good are Hungary ?

http://www.daviscup.com/en/teams/team/profile.aspx?id=HUN

A pushover or a sheep in wolves clothing for us ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

How good are Hungary ? :: Comments

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 12:28 by Guest

It is a match I'd fully expect GB to win. I mean they have no Gilles Muller-type player in their team (by that I mean a relatively highly ranked player). Also GB are now pretty strong in the doubles department.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:23 by Jubbahey

But then Lithuania beat us even with Murray in it.

But yes, we should win the doubles and two singles easily. (did I just put the kibosh on the whole proceedings?)

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 13 Jul 2011 - 20:31 by Guest

I think James Ward is a step up from Alex Bogdanovic as well.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 18:29 by Jubbahey

What a difference in fortunes looking at Ward and Boggo !

Both have a good enough game, but each vary so dramatically when faced with pressure points. That Alex should have had such a bad DC when he first played differed so much to what shape his game was in at that time. He was brash and aggressive, looked serious and had a decent serve, then it all went to pieces on his 1st showcase. And he's never looked back since then.

Ward by contrast has taken the bull by the horns and made something of his chances to perform at the top tournies, including the last DC, albeit a shaky 1st game. But he's banished the "Boggo Expectation" of new British players competing at A1 events, only to lie down and get thrashed.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Jul 2011 - 4:22 by Guest

Marton and Attilas are considered good. Will this tie be in Glasgow on HC again?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 20:22 by Guest

Not sure the tie will be Glasgow again. I spent the full weekend at Braehead Arena and loved the atmosphere, but to be fair to the folks of GB I think it probably be Birmingham, where the atmosphere is also said to be special. As long as we play like we did last weekend I believe we are in a good place to beat Hungary. Go Great Britain

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 20:50 by Guest

laverfan wrote:Marton and Attilas are considered good. Will this tie be in Glasgow on HC again?

Attilas the Hun?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 20 Jul 2011 - 9:02 by Guest

lol! waddo I know, it is indeed back in Glasgow I've just checked ticket master though for tickets and they only have the back rows for sale (or thats all its showing) . It keeps you eye level with some real bright lights that shine on the court. Think I'll hold off for a bit buying them. There were a few seats near courtside that weren't filled last time over the three days. I'm gonna call the box office they might be able to release better seats.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 16:25 by Jubbahey

Good luck with those tickets MTS1, just dont buy from a touter, or you might end up like NitB and have to go home and watch it on the TV.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 20:23 by Guest

Thanks Jubba, I'm gonna wait a few weeks to see what is purchased through sponsors etc then I might get a decent seat. Although it is an intimate arena so its not too bad sitting in the back tier seating
BTW Love these

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 23:05 by Jubbahey

Hi Mt...again !! ........ I'm stalking you, following you from thread to thread Suspect

I think I've nearly exhausted the amount of smilies you can have, but I don't think we've got as many as the Rafateers Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 18:58 by Guest

Your smilies are brill . The Rafateers have a head start, we'll catch up soon enough.

Stalker.....where?????????

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 22:22 by Guest

Not long returned from the Davis Cup. 2 rubbers down and 2 wins to Great Britain. James Ward's match was full of drama with him dropping down as if hit by a sniper on the court with cramp. Struggled through for a few games and then ran off court to be sick. After composing himself his opponent got cramp at the worst possible time and GS&M to Wardy in 4 Andy blew his opponent away, but then shut off during the 3rd set, although it made it more entertaining for the crowd. GS&M Murray in 3.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 17 Sep 2011 - 10:11 by Guest

I thought Andy looked extremely tired. He always does seem to suffer badly from jetlag after travelling west > east.

Mr Kiss will have something to tell his grandchildren!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 17 Sep 2011 - 15:36 by Jubbahey

Running away with the doubles right now, 2 sets to love up.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 17 Sep 2011 - 15:44 by Jubbahey

twee break points !1

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 17 Sep 2011 - 16:26 by Jubbahey

Wrapped up and we are in group one, hurrah, congrats to the GB team and their Captain..Leon smith, who seems to be able to get the right stuff out of the players.

Its going to be a hard slog from now on.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 17:08 by Guest

Matches will get harder from here on in. No doubt about that. Still at least we are back at a level we were last at in 2009.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 18:17 by Guest

Day 3 didn't have superb tennis on show, however 5-0 is a job well done. Andy said he was very tired and he looked it today. He was piped onto the court today by the Red Hot Chillip Pipers, was a nice touch. Lets see what countries await us in 2012 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 21:15 by Jubbahey

Forgive me the obvious, but why not play the youngsters into the final dead rubbers and give them something to chew on ??

I'm sure the audience wouldn't have minded seeing what we have to offer in the years to come.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 22:40 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Forgive me the obvious, but why not play the youngsters into the final dead rubbers and give them something to chew on ??

I'm sure the audience wouldn't have minded seeing what we have to offer in the years to come.

Andy certainly could have been replaced by one of them (however the home crowd would have been disappointed but what the heck) however we need a good backup singles player and playing Fleming does give him additional experience possibly for the next round depending if Ward is chosen or not.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 20 Sep 2011 - 19:23 by Jubbahey

I know BOO, but doesnt it strike you as stupid, to go for the entertainment value, when we are trying to build a side that will have a hard time surviving in the world group if we ever manage to get there.

I would presume it was more important to get the youngsters some DC match experience with no pressure for a win or loss. Beat me blue for saying it, but the audience have to come second in a situation like this.

They already got Murray on Friday, so thats there moneys worth right there.

So Leon went on to put Fleming in ?, well, some good came out of it then, he was saying that he intended to play both Murray and Ward on Sunday, which was why I was a bit surprised.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 20 Sep 2011 - 20:06 by Guest

Don't think Ward had recovered from his first match, he looked knackered especially after going over on his ankle, hence Fleming got his chance to play singles.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 20 Sep 2011 - 20:36 by Jubbahey

Ah, I didnt see the Sunday matches, and missed Fridays too. Doh!

Anyway, it seems that our Mr Smith has had more success in picking his teams and getting more from his players than a certain Mr Glum (Lloyd) did. I know Andy is playing a bit more, but its the support he's getting which is better than before.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum