Andy's Olympic Challenge Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Andy's Olympic Challenge Thread

Post by Guest on Sun 5 Aug 2012 - 20:36

I still haven't recovered. How fan-flippin'-tastic was that?

I still remember the early days on the old BBC board (before 606), battling with the Murray-bashers. And on MTF. . . though now I am older and wiser and just laugh at all the ill-informed hatred of a lad who is a model sportsman (well maybe apart from the swearing, but he is getting better about that) and a supreme talent.

I didn't post before because I was glued to the tv waiting for the medal ceremony for the mixed - then realised they couldn't have it yet, the bronze medal match is still in progress

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 5 Aug 2012 - 23:17

Overjoyed.

Gutted I missed Andy's finest moment due to work but delighted for Andy. In the space of four weeks he has turned tears of despair into tears of joy after annihilating Roger Federer in straight sets. People will try to sullen the win claiming it is not an important title in tennis terms but I say this.....Andy can tell his kids and grandkids that he is an Olympic Champion. Has a somewhat sweeter ring to it than saying you won the World Tour Final. Andy has also got that monkey off his back about never having beaten Roger in a best of five match and surely gives him an overdose in self-belief. Even now if he never wins a slam he can proudly say he is an Olympic Champion. So pleased for Andy as he has went through the mill in previous big crunch matches so for him to bounce back to strike gold takes a mighty character. Well done Andy and commiserations Roger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 9:29

One of the best matches I've seen him play, against one of the best players ever to play. Dominated Federer for long stretches of the match, but the 3rd set will elevate his belief that he has the ability and and the talent to be No1 in the world and a Slam winner. It was a mature and majestic performance from Murray in one of his most pressurised matches on home soil.
That 6 break point game on his serve effectively broke Roger's resolve and confidence, but Andy's service games in the 3rd set showed why he is one of the toughest players to beat when the radar is working properly.

Murray deserves the biggest pat on the back and so do all of his supporters for continuing their belief in him overs the past few years. Their support has been finally rewarded. This may be the start of something special.

Congratulations Andy Murray....

Gold medallist and Olympic Champion.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 9:46

Onwards and surely upwards now for Andy. Whisper it but now Andy has found that missing piece of the jigsaw (self-belief when it matters most) then I will be very disappointed if he never wins a slam now. Especialy if you look at the variables just now. Roger is top dog just now but it is just a matter of time before he struggles to compete at the highest level (a year perhaps two at the max left in him). Djokovic's air of invincibility that he built up last year has eroded away and self-doubts seem back in his mind and Rafael Nadal has fitness issues and still has a shock defeat at Wimbledon foremost in his mind. Now is your time Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 12:50

Great result for Andy & the GB team - probably the best two matches of his career so far having also beaten Novak in the semi.

This can only help his confidence no end and roll on the USO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 13:20

Thank you Mr. Lendl.

Andy said, in one of the articles I have read - I have read so many I can't remember which one! - that they had sat down and analysed the Wimbledon final, sorted out what had gone wrong there and how to combat it in future. Looks like it worked. OK, Fed was not at his best, but then that is just payback for USO 2008 when Andy had had a much more demanding schedule and was the one who was knackered before they started.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 20:34

Hello Murray Maniacs

Just had to pop by and say congrats to your boy. What a fabulous display of tennis against both Novak and Roger and he thoroughly deserved it. I wanted to come here and wish him luck before the match but was scared of the jinx!

Very, very happy for him and very happy for all you guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 22:08

Hey cats........thanks for dropping in.

It was strange not to have Rafa in the mix, definitely made the draw easier all round for many players, but his absence was felt imo. Hope he gets fit for the US Open a few weeks away.

I haven't been able to look in on other sites this week and last, so am blissfully unaware of what is bound to be doing the rounds, trolls undermining his achievement, I'll have to make it more of a habit.

Maybe someone can post a few numpty comments on here and give us a laugh or two.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 22:28

cats_r_cool wrote:

Very, very happy for him and very happy for all you guys.

Thanks Cats

Your kind words are very much appreciated.

Well, a huge congrats to Andy

I thought I was dreaming during the match and would wake up at some point.

Great posts on here from you guys.

Love the fab picture of Andy with his medal Cool Nice work, Jubbs.

Roll on the USO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 23:26

Yes thanks very much cats. It was a great day to be an Andy Murray fan and a Brit. Here's hoping he can go on to win The Holy Grail of tennis - a slam.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 11 Aug 2012 - 23:22

Ha! I was lucky enough to be in the Olypic Park, watching on the giant screen (surrounded by - probably temporary - Murray fans) as our boy completely destroyed possibly the greatest player to ever pick up a racquet, and what a performance it was! I can honestly say I've never seen Murray play that well before (and God knows I've seen plenty of his matches!). He was focussed from beginning to end, hit the ball unbelievably well, and his return of serve was just out of this world. Truly magnificent!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 0:27

Did it really happen ???

Is this just a nasty Nasa/FBI trick to bring us Murray fans to our knees ???

Nah! they wouldn't have the nerve, there's too many of us.

I have a new pet hate though, that is slowly mushrooming into pure hatred. Stupid twangers who put videos up of the "Murray V Federer Olympic tennis final highlights" etc, and they are really either game videos of Virtual Tennis or slideshows of still shots or some berk talking into a camera for 15 mins ad nauseum about how he saw the match.

Isn't there anyone out the who has decent highlights of the match, missed the 3rd set completely?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 0:35

I can get you the full match if you like Jubba

http://rafanadalpartidoapartido.com/

sign up (it's free), get an account and you can find pretty much any important tennis match of the reasonably recent past for full (OK it's a Rafa fan site, one of the rafateers introduced me to it, and in Spanish, but gets the job done)

for the wimbledon final, just go to the "tennis view online" section (second from the left), choose the Olympics and click on the Murray-Federer match, and voilĂ ! Bob's your uncle! Third set starts about 42:50 into the third part (I think it's in full - haven't actually watched it yet - but it's at least 30 minutes long so I guess so).

If you can't be bothered doing the whole registration thingy (though it's not hard, honest) I'm more than happy to PM you my username and password.

Hope that helps Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 12:29

Hi Chelsea!

Lucky you. I would have loved to have been at the Olympic Park watching Andy.

I now have high hopes of Andy winning the USO

Nice to see you on here again

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 13:41

Hey, thanks Sol, I'll try that later.

I think maybe a forum for good links like yours wouldn't go amiss.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 16:01

Hi Sol, good to see you too

It was a quite fantastic atmosphere on that grassy bank I can tell you (absolutely full it was - they wren't letting any more people in when I left after the match!), just awesome to be there to share Andy's greatest moment yet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 16:48

Been a great year for us Murray/Chelsea fans so far, can it get any better ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Aug 2012 - 19:58

I think it was Chelsea's link you followed, Jubba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Aug 2012 - 21:18

I don't think I'll answer that one just yet Jubba, wouldn't want to jinx things would we?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 13 Aug 2012 - 22:27

Oops, bmu ...sorry M4C, my bad.

There's not a chance this side of Xmas that we'll replicate last season, not without Drogba.

Someone please explain why Mata is still in the squad ? do we really need a Jonas !

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum