That final - analysis

View previous topic View next topic Go down

That final - analysis

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 22:08

Have been watching the Olympic final again, over on the BBC iplayer......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00w314t/Olympic_Tennis_London_2012_Mens_Singles_Final_Andy_Murray_v_Roger_Federer/
(2:15:00 in roughly)

.......and I have to re-assess my opinion of it.

I did say that Federer was out of sorts and I think now that that was untrue and probably unfair to Andy. Roger was outplayed much of the time with Andy playing shots very close to the baseline, low shots over the net with varied speeds, top and side spin. I'd say that Federer was gradually beaten into submission and he wasn't playing that badly either.

For me the crunch time came with Federer 2-0 down in the 2nd set where he managed to scrape together 6 break points when Andy had as much as 5 game points too. Both trading errors and winning shots, but it was Andy's serving that got him out of trouble quite a few times in that game. Federer didnt manage to convert any of them but I didn't notice Roger's game relent at that point, but Andy's game rose.
His shoulders opened and he began to play even more confidently and optimistically. Federer wasn't serving 100%, but then Andy was getting everything back and keeping it in play and making Rogers life a misery. A double fault came from the pressure Andy was putting on Federer and Andy went 4-0 up and that was 7 games in a row.

From that point on, even with Roger putting in some good points and playing like the old Roger we knew, it wasn't enough to upset the Murray juggernaut as he dominated the match from then on. In fact, Andy made it 8 games in a row and that practically sealed the match for him. He won the set 6-1 in the end.

Federer won his 1st service game of the 3rd set to love and he was still playing to win at that point. Anyone (read numpty) who thought Roger tanked or threw the match, wasn't watching the same game or was wonky in the brain dept. Yes, he did make some bad unforced errors in the few games during the 3rd set, but it was Andy keeping up the pressure on Roger's serve that made the breakthrough break on the 5th game with a beautiful cross court drive that Roger could not handle.

Andy looked absolutely resolved to shut the match out from that point and is exactly what he did. If anything won Andy that Gold it was his clean hitting all day, his proactive and aggressive play and solid servicing. He pretty much ticked all the boxes and didn't give Roger a chance to play his normal game.
Point of the set for me was the 6th game on Andy's serve, he won to love with a crafted cross court lob to halfway up the tram line to pass Roger near the net. If Roger was thinking anything at that point it must have been "Today is not my time".

An emphatic win for Andy on so many levels, but my over-riding impression is that Murray won the match fair and square and there was nothing Federer could do about it. It says volumes about how far Andy has come and what beckons him in the future. I'm sure, even though he was not in the box that day, Lendl must have liked what he saw and is excited both by Andy's progress and his own style of coaching which has made inroads into Andy's mental agility amongst other things.

Well, that's how I saw it second time around in full, what are your views ?

Last edited by Jubbahey on Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 23:01; edited 1 time in total

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: That final - analysis

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 0:01

LEST WE FORGET .........

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 19:34

I'm downloading the full match right now, will watch it again when I have time (possibly tomorrow). My memory (which will be biased both by my own support and where I was at the time) is that Murray played incredibly well that day, the best I've ever seen him play (apparently he played really well in the semi too, but I didn't see that one), and that there wasn't a huge amount Federer could do about it. For me Fed actually played a decent match, and after a poor first set looked really up for it. Murray just played the key points much better. Certainly nothing wrong with Fed's ball striking.

Absolutely agreed with the crucialness of the third game of set 2, once Murray won that you could see the confidence surging through him. I remember thinking at the time it was a crucial hold, and the cheer he got for it was second only to the almighty roar which greeted that final ace.

Also thought Murray's returning was unbelievable. I know Fed hit 9 aces but I think there were only a dozen unreturned serves or so and most returns were hit with real intent (rather than just chipped in play).

Finally, totally agree re Murray's depth of shot, he barely let Fed have a short ball to attack all match.

Like I say, I'm left with a biased impression possibly, but I really thought Murray's performance was something special that day...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 22:47

Once you see the match again M4C, it'll cement your opinion of your impression.

Thats why I did this article, I too thought that I had looked back with rose tinted glasses, but was surprised at the level of Murrays game. I think we grind out an Andy match live, biting our nails into oblivion and sometimes don't watch it from an artistic point of view, habits of a lifetime decree that we sit there thinking the other guy is going to hit back or Andy drops a level and we get another too close a match.

I missed the 3rd set, and had to hunt it down the next day and only got highlights etc, but my overall impression of the 1st two sets was that Murray played well.

Now I've watched the match again from beginning to end, I sat back and enjoyed it and watched Andy rise above the occasion and give Roger a good belting in reality, considering who he is.

Critically, he played a blinder and as you say Federer had no room to maneuver so he really had no option but to play defensively for huge portions of the match. He did pretty much the same thing to Djokovic, in two very quick sets that Novak will probably not care to remember, such was the speed at which Murray dispatched him, yes it took 2 hours and it went to serve until they were neck and neck at 6-5, but Murray was always in ascendancy for that match and again Djokovic was cornered and ultimately has the pressure on him to defend, which is not a comfortable he's used to.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 18 Aug 2012 - 23:40

I have not watched the whole match through but there are those (of course) who swear Roger Federer wasn't too fussed and was nowhere near his best etc especially across on ja606. However if you think back to the Wimbledon Final it had similarities. Murray was very solid in the first set and three quarters but a very slight dip at the end of the second set cost Andy dear and from that point the match was lost. However, in the Olympic Final, Murray's dip never came in my opinion and so ran out a comfortable and deserved winner in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 19 Aug 2012 - 15:37

We all know and quite frankly, anticipated such drivel from those who would denounce anything Federer loses as an insignificant event.

Who saw the match can not deny that Federer was trying his best to beat Murray, that much was plain, even he admitted to making a choice after the match, either feel depressed about losing or feel happy about winning a silver medal, he chose the latter, commendably.

For me the detractors can spout their nonsense for as long as it pleases them, luckily, its all there on video and no amount of denial will make it any less a victory for Andy and a huge loss for Federer. Lets not forget, that was prob his last chance to win Gold at the Olympics and secure a Golden Slam (singles) for the record books, something I'm sure he'll look back on in years to come and wish he had acquired it.

The real losers though are the idiots who deny Murray his medal on the grounds it was not won legitimately, but they lose sight of the fact that he beat two of the top players in the world at a prestigious event to wear the medal, something that all tennis pros want to undeniably win in their lifetime. Idiots they are and idiots they remain.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 8:14

And to add to that Jubba, why then, if the Olympics are so unimportant to him did Roger say in his post-match press conference that he hoped to have another crack at Gold in Rio. Also why was he close to tears on reaching the final (V Del Potro). For some people they are in constant denial.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 20:00

Absolutely CC.

For us though, its a new beginning and a fresh revamp of our support and admiration. No more, can he, will he...its now he can, he will.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 15:30

Hi all - haven't looked at any other forum since Wimbledon and don't intend to for the future, apart from this one!

Andy did a great job winning the Olympic Gold (and Silver) contrary to what the usual "plebs" say, it must have really been disappointing for them to see Roger get beaten especially by Andy in a "five setter" LOL

Let's hope he can do a similar job at the USO as there is no reason why he can't, injuries being avoided - fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 20:38

Hi BOO.

I look into V2 now and again, maybe once a week and go for a laugh over at Ja606, but apart from that, its either BBC Sport or............well thats it really.

Most other forums rehash the same old stuff, not sure about MTL, but if I was to join any other place, it'd be there, if I could be bothered.

A bit wary of the US Open and Andy going to whole way, I'm not sure if he has come down from cloud 9 yet, so it depends on how quickly he settles into normal mode again. Mustn't forget, he will have had multiple interviews since the Gold medal and I should think a mass of sponsorship appearances/promos/photo shoots, so it won't be easy getting back into slam mode for a bit.

But I'm sure he'll give it 100% of whatever he has left.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum