US Open 2012

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

US Open 2012

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 13:26

The final slam of the season gets under way later today. Is this Andy's moment? Will Federer continue his remarkable revent revival? Will Djokovic bounce back after a disappointing few months? Time will tell.

Andy Murray in action around 6pm (BST) against Alex Bogomolov Jnr. Should be a comfortable straight sets win for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Re: US Open 2012

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 15:23

comfortable straight sets win for Andy is how I see it going too. Bogomolov's serve is rubbish, so expect Murray to demolish that. It also means Murray will lose serve a couple of times or so and people will start using words like "lack of focus", ugly words like "first server percentage" may also creep in. Consider yourself warned...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 16:02

Not on here M4C, thankfully, but I'm sure V2 will pander to the wums appetite.

Andy, as the notorious slow starter in the past will be an interesting study as to whether his new approach can withstand two weeks of 5 setters. I know he is favourite, along with 2 other guys and he is being pushed along with an Olympic gold behind him, but this week will surely test the marriage of Murray and Lendl.

This IMO will be the biggest test he has faced in regard to playing aggressively and pro-actively for a sustained period, right up to and including the final if he gets there.

He has almost got a by-the-book run up to the semi's in that his opponents will stretch his tenacity and resolve, in each round as he progresses, in all depts. I think it will be a fascinating spectacle to watch, as I dont think Andy will shy away from the job in hand, his confidence is good, he just has to maintain the momentum for 7 rounds of high tension tennis.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 19:05

Heavy rain means Andy Murray's match has been delayed. It has now been raining for almost two hours in New York. Still at least as soon as play starts Andy will be straight on court to start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 19:36

We may get 90 mins of play if the weather man over there is correct. Next thunderstorm @ 9:00pm.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 19:53

And we're off. 1-1 though both players losing their first service game. Back on serve Andy to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:06

Some nerves from Andy lost his second service game but wins Boggies service game. I'm confident he'll be cooking with gas shortly Very Happy Back on serve ......again

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:15

...and we have the first hold of serve 3-2 Andy getting there eventually

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:25

Boggy continues his losing serve streak, and Andy holds serve 5-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:26

im on chat MTS1

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:27

I refer you to my early post Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 20:40

Mad_for_Chelsea wrote:I refer you to my early post Very Happy

Well called Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 22:04

An out of sorts performance by Andy Murray sees him win his US Open First Round match against Alex Bogomolov Jnr. in straight sets 6-2 6-4 6-1. Not great though from Andy with lots to work on. His first serve percentages were very poor, his movement wasn't great and neither was his focus. Must do better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 22:18

Hi Craig - Was unable to watch it but followed live score from the ATP site.

The stats showed I think 1st serve at 28% which is terrible but it did improve for the 2nd & 3rd sets.

The score does look good on paper, but hey a win in three straight sets from a probable "rusty" Andy in the first round is OK and Ivan will kick his ass and get him sorted out for round two!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 22:37

The scoreline considering how poorly Andy played is definitely the biggest positive to take out of the match. He will hope to improve match-by-match and hopefully be peaking come the semis (in an ideal world).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 22:46

didn't think it was that bad TBH Craig, the loss of focus was to be expected considering it's a first round match against an opponent he could break pretty much at will (he broke in 9 of 12 return games). In fact his return of serve was excellent throughout, and his ball striking pretty decent.

Serve was a concern, though it did improve throughout the match (both in percentage and efficiency), and his movement not that great but that will improve as the matches progress I think and conditions were hard out there.

I'm still feeling pretty confident, there were enough signs that his game is there when he needs it to be (which was very rarely today) and I expect him to improve match by match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 0:08

Very strange match.

Next up is Ivan Dodig, who I seem to remember beating Nadal a year or two ago - Canada I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 12:49

All in all, a bit of a stroll in the park for our Andy there. In and out of conciousness for short stretches of the match but got the job done with some pretty good shots to be fair. Some altogether rather silly shot choices, getting himself out of and into trouble, too often the latter.

Don't know why his service was so bad yesterday, his ball toss went sideways and lacked conviction until the 3rd set, maybe down to lack of match practice, but he seems to have ironed out the awful lumbering action and got back into his normal service.

Like everyone, not impressed with his broken focus, but I still think he has an Olympic hangover and needs a few more matches to push that into the sidelines so he can concentrate on the guy in front of him.

Onward and upward, he still has the knack of getting himself out of trouble when he needs to.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 18:32

Some (perhaps) decent news breaking for Andy Murray. Potential Fourth Round opponent Milos Raonic is in danger of being knocked out by Santiago Giraldo who leads 3-6 6-4 6-3 3-1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 19:45

Milos Raonic fought back to win in five gruelling sets but my concerns about him have lessened a little more after watching much of the match. If Andy can't beat him then he won't deserve to win this US Open.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 22:10

An excellent win for Britain's Johanna Konta winning 6-2 7-5 to seal her first win at a slam event. A promising win for the 21-year-old considering she had to come through the qualifiers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 22:15

By the way the schedule is out for tomorrow and Andy Murray is scheduled to be on Arthur Ashe Court again but get your matchsticks out as he isn't due on court until around 9pm (New York time) which (I do believe) translates into around 2am (UK Time). Tired

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 22:19

Sleep Wow an early round night match, that's a first. I seriously need to consider the Sky + for this match Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 22:32

ah well there go my sleep patterns Very Happy

Given the only match I've actually watched Murray lose this year (as opposed to merely followed the score off the internet) is vs Gasquet in Rome I shall most definitely be waking up for this one (I'm superstitious like that).

People worry about Raonic, but let's face it, this is Andy, on a hard court, with his return of serve looking in good shape. Raonic doesn't stand a chance Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 9:06

Yes MfC I was one of those worriers admittedly but if you look closer at Raonic his stats/career record don't strike fear into me. My big terror was his massive serve but as we know Murray excels in returning serve however he will need to ensure he has improved his own serve stats by then. Something tells me though that Raonic won't even make it to the 4th Round.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum