US Open 2012

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: US Open 2012

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Sep 2012 - 20:34

I am afraid I can't change the settings. I will ask around though and see what can be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 19:03

Just dropped in to V2 and noticed an extraordinary amount of hypocrisy.

It wasn't that long ago that many Murray detractors were saying although he is as good as any of the top 3, and he'd won more Masters than anyone else that year, he isn't aggressive enough or proactive, too defensive and boring to watch, and he couldn't be regarded in the same light because he was slamless too.

Now that he is on the same even plain as them, in terms of being a member of the slam club, he is now just boring to watch and uninspiring.

What does he have to do ?

I notice too that many are saying it was a monotonous boring match to watch, so that makes them a heap of liars, there is no way that plethora of Murray haters were going to sit up all night and watch a match that didnt include Federer, on top of the fact that posters like BB said it was going to be a boring, attritional match of physical dimensions, why would they.

Its taken me 5 days of watching each set a night, so as to get a good look at the state of play between the players, and to be honest, it was exciting in places, breathless in others and the rest was just your normal bread and butter points or usual exchanges of baseline play you'd get in every match that's played on earth.

OK, so it wasn't a Federer v Nadal Wimbledon final, but the venue and spectators are different, the weather was atrocious, the prestige on a different planet but all in all it was a good match to watch to see both players fighting tooth and nail in body and mind and shot delivery.

If you'd managed to uproot the match to the grass of Wimbledon, the outcome may not have been different, but the excitement levels would have surged upwards, its just how Wimbledon is, there have been very few "boring" finals there, the only one I can remember is the Ivanisivic V Rafter one, but then I didn't watch it all because Henman had been knocked out and I was sulking a bit.

But I was hoping the usual blasé attitude of the general posters on V2 may have loosened up a bit and given Murray the credit he deserves, he's finally managed to give them what they seemingly craved all these years, aggressiveness, pro-activeness and a slam under his belt so you'd expect some kind of humble pie from them. But I see CC is between a rock and a hard place over there, trying to enlighten their opinions with common sense, but hard nosed individuals who subscribe to one dimensional views will never budge, even grudgingly.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 23:23

C'mon Jubba you dont think these A$$holes were going to change do you lol

BB, hawkeye and a few others - still trying to get over old wogers three set defeat at Wimby when Andy took the GOLD!

Never mind he has added many new fans since then, and with his brilliant victory at the USO even more .

Some on 606v2 were saying it was the worst five set final yet, but others like us and those that were there, and most of those who watched it agree it was one of the best - the viewing figures were also way up!

Funny how its usually the Fed fans who like to ridicule other players achievements when their man isn't the main focus of attention.

They better get used to it because he is going down and our man is in the ascendancy.

And by the way I couldn't care less if Andy doesn't win SPOTY this year, and if he does GREAT - it will make them even more pi$$ed off!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 14:44

Are you still sportslover on V2 BOO ?

No, I didnt expect them to change, but there was a chance that they may have given him some credit, but I suppose you're right, depriving Federer from a possible career gold slam will always hanker ill feeling for ever now.

I felt like re-registering over there to give them my tuppence worth, but then remembered the reason I left, the constant bashing and spitefulness that went on and still goes on.

It looks now as if V2 has a strong Federer contingency with a couple of Novak fans, one Nadal fan and a few Murray supporters, which makes the place a tad onesided and unbalanced.

Not sure how we manage to keep this place so neat, given we are at heart Murray fans, but I suppose our wider views and appreciation help us to see more of the world of tennis and its great matchups.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 16:51

Are you still sportslover on V2 BOO ?

------------------------------------

Yes but I haven't posted there since before Wimbledon (Slam Final)

When you read some of the comments it is hard not to respond but I'm afraid I have really given up as they are not worth wasting time on.

There does seem to be a few more Pro Andy (apart from CC) and socal does a good job of not only sticking up for Novak but at times Andy also.

I do look at the forums from time to time and have had the occasional post on MTL - ja606 has a few Andy fans, but I did notice a poster called Tennisfan, who according to some there it's hawkeye from 606v2- with the amount of (self inflicted) abuse she gets there from her anti Murray posts and articles its no wonder she is trying other forums lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 20:13

I've just read the Hawkeye wummer article, and apart from it being the biggest load of clap trap recently, it has given me access to a very good interview from Andy, a few hours after/next day. If you haven't seen it, its below, but what makes me laugh is that HE has cherry picked his comments from the illustrious and most famous sports tennis commentator today....."Courtney Nguyen", yes!!! that guy we all know who reports in the world famous SI.com webazine, bla bla bla.

MEH!

Enough frivolity.....for once decent questions are asked in an interview.

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12544

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 20:40

Will check it out on my PC - the iPad that I'm using doesn't support Flash.

Talking about interviews I came across one on utube the other day which he did at Monte Carlo with Sir David Frost prior to the French Open.

Worth a google if you haven't seen it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 21:13

Thanks BOO, found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7evXZKmJDk

@ 3:05 in, who'd have thought eh?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Sep 2012 - 19:47

I posted something on 606v2the other day to argue againsat those calling it a boring match. I said it had drama, suspence and a number of cracking rallies and pointed out that Andy's matches are far more likely to be thrillers than Federer matches. Look at the US Open for a start - Lopez, Cilic, Berdych and Djokovic matches against Andy were thrillers. On the other side of the coin look at Fed's matches. One-sided walkovers until a pretty one-sided defeat in the quarters - yawn. Now that is boring. Now Fed is the best there has ever been but that doesn't make him Mr. Entertainment. I mean how many times has he waltzed through tournaments with easy wins and you felt you knew the outcome before the games. Hardly nail-biting and exciting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 16 Sep 2012 - 21:07

Yes CC, and it seems they have shifted their asses again, now saying that serve and volley is exciting and baseline play is boring. I mean, I remember the days when it was Ivanisivic against Rafter, one serving aces ad-nauseam, the other serving and putting the return away at the net. Hardly the stuff dreams are made of.

Thats the trouble when you pigeon hole techniques and generalise them, they become featureless.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Sep 2012 - 21:25

Too many Roger fans simply cannot comprehend that there are fans of other types of tennis other than the brand played by their idol. I liken it to say - snooker. I remember last year the BBC ran a poll about snooker and apparently more people enjoyed a good safety battle-riddled frame than a one visit big-break - that emphasises what I am saying about tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 16 Sep 2012 - 22:46

Because that shows the talent behind the player.

Patience is a virtue in any sport. At his peak, Federer was an intense performer, superior in focus and application and we may never see the like again, but as many people have said, he may go down as the best player ever, but that does not mean he is the most beautiful player ever to grace the court as well.

Some of his shots were sublime, esp his backhand down the line, it was spectacular sometimes, but he had the same amount of bread and butter shots as any player has in the top ten. He played off the baseline for many points in a game, came to the net, mixed it up and made the game interesting, but I see that in most matches today, ups and downs, swings between mundane to exciting.

The best match ever, imo, Wimbledon Fed v Nad, had its own plethora of boring points, but it was the end games that mattered and produced the memorable bits, between the two greatest rivals I have seen play the game in a slam final. We may yet see a comparable match, between Novak and Murray on the green stuff in the years to come, its on the cards and inevitable they will meet again.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 10:45

On a side note, in case anyone thought I was noticeably absent from here over the final, it was down to the fact that my Virgin broadband was broke, as well as the catchup and V+ services. For 5 days we were in a vacuum and I only managed a couple of posts from my phone which was not easy considering the output window was blank and could not see what I was typing (only happens on a few websites I've found).

I couldn't get it on TV anyway, (Eurosport were broadcasting it, but not to the UK Evil or Very Mad ), so was going to watch it on LSHunter but it was not to be, listened to 5live for a bit, but fell asleep to their rubbish commentary. Woke up and through shielded eyes watched Sky Sports News for any info, but it was there in a popup window, a pic of him with the trophy and within 2 mins, a report about the match followed, it was a nice way to start the morning for sure.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 13:01

There are Fed fans & FED FANS, sadly a lot of those on forums such as 606v2 can't see past their idol, and if he isn't featured in any particular Final then the players that are become targets for being ridiculed - really sad and its funny that it's usually Rogers fans that have to resort to doing this, I' m sure he wouldn't be impressed!

Any way I still have the USO final on my Sky+ box and I must admit to having re-run the last set several times and watched it just to confirm what actually happened!!

I notice from Andy's schedule he is playing in Tokyo at the start of October - a tournament which he won last year and managed to bagel Rafa in doing so, a feat that not many players could boast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 18:52

Quite a tight schedule coming up. He didn't play Basel last year, but I wonder if he will give up another event considering his physical state after the Slam final. His feet were bad, must have been aching like mad, so where does this put him in the race for the No1 rank. Serious enough to consider that rank and try all the events he did last year or trying to pace himself in the next few events ?

Japan - 1 October - 7 October - 500
Shanghai - 7 October - 14 October - 1000
Basel - 22 October - 28 October - 500
Paris - 29 October - 4 November - 1000
WTF - 5 November - 12 November - 1500
Brisbane (poss) - 1 January - 8 January 2013 - 250

Could be that he pulls out of Tokyo, but he'd miss the best sushi in the world and lose his defending points, but could go for Paris and get 1000 instead (QF place last year) and have an extra week off to recuperate. Mmm any ideas ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 20:06

Hmmm tough one. He has said he'd like to make an assault on the No.1 spot next year and mentions he must have a strong finish to this year so does that mean he will be competing in plenty of tournies?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 22:33

I don't think he (or any of the top players) will be going all out for Paris. It is the week before the WTF this year - and I think he would rather do well there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 17 Sep 2012 - 22:34

He might well like to go for Basel, in the hopes of taking points off Fed there, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 18 Sep 2012 - 15:33

Jubbahey wrote:On a side note, in case anyone thought I was noticeably absent from here over the final, it was down to the fact that my Virgin broadband was broke, as well as the catchup and V+ services. For 5 days we were in a vacuum and I only managed a couple of posts from my phone which was not easy considering the output window was blank and could not see what I was typing (only happens on a few websites I've found).

Awww... Jubbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 19 Sep 2012 - 11:15

Jubbahey wrote:On a side note, in case anyone thought I was noticeably absent from here over the final, it was down to the fact that my Virgin broadband was broke, as well as the catchup and V+ services. For 5 days we were in a vacuum and I only managed a couple of posts from my phone which was not easy considering the output window was blank and could not see what I was typing (only happens on a few websites I've found).

I couldn't get it on TV anyway, (Eurosport were broadcasting it, but not to the UK Evil or Very Mad ), so was going to watch it on LSHunter but it was not to be, listened to 5live for a bit, but fell asleep to their rubbish commentary. Woke up and through shielded eyes watched Sky Sports News for any info, but it was there in a popup window, a pic of him with the trophy and within 2 mins, a report about the match followed, it was a nice way to start the morning for sure.

Sorry to hear of your technical problems at such an exciting time. It must have been the night for it as my broadband (BT) was experiencing serious problems that night as well. Whilst posting here during the match I had to switch to using my mobile to post. Hope your problems are over now Jubba.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 19 Sep 2012 - 13:33

All fixed CC, but the broadband was dead, they had to rewire outside to fix it.
Apparently, we'd had a bad signal from day one, which explained our periodical dropouts.

Still, it's sorted, and we've got 32mbs now, yipee!

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum