Lets hear it for the girls !!!

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lets hear it for the girls !!!

Laura Robson putting up her trademark fighting style against Kim Clijsters, went a break down to go 4-1 behind and broke back later to go 4-5 and serving.

Great stuff from Laura but Kim ain't going to take that lying down.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Lets hear it for the girls !!! :: Comments

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:25 by Guest

Wonderful. She shrugged off that great injustice and hung in to get the break to lead 3-2 in the third set.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:32 by Guest

Two bad calls have fired Laura up and justice is restored. The mercury is rising and not just with the heat of the sun Very Happy 15-40 break points

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:33 by Guest

Incredible as Laura breaks again to lead 5-2 (MTS1 quit ripping off commentators line). hhaappyy

PS Only joking MTS1

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:34; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:34 by Guest

This has been an immense performance from Laura. She is about to serve for a place in the Fourth Round.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:39 by Guest

Groupies2 Well done Laura, what a superb win, CC any idea where the points will get Laura to in the rankings for getting to at least the 4th round? I am so chuffed for her, what a couple of scalps this young un has taken Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:39 by Guest

And Laura Robson has done it. She beats Li Na 6-4 6-7 6-2 to become the first British woman to reach the Fourth Round at the US Open for 22 years and first at a slam since 1998. Next up for Laura is another devilish match against Sam Stosur. Wow these points will send her catapulting up the rankings.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:42; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:41 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Incredible as Laura breaks again to lead 5-2 (MTS1 quit ripping off commentators line). hhaappyy

PS Only joking MTS1

lol! I thought I got away with that Perfect

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:45 by Guest

Well as I understand it she will get 180 points even if she loses against Stosur. Now that being the case she could rise up to around 70 from the 89 she is ranked at just now. That is a rough estimate.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:45 by Guest

Here's a thought. Olympic Gold & Silver medalist and Olympic Silver medalist win the ladies and men's US Open and they are both Brits. I'm becoming delirious like the British Press, think I'll apply for a job with the Daily Wail hhaappyy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:47 by Guest

The vast improvement in her first serve in that 3rd set won her the match. When she has the consistency she will be tough to beat.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:49 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well as I understand it she will get 180 points even if she loses against Stosur. Now that being the case she could rise up to around 70 from the 89 she is ranked at just now. That is a rough estimate.

Cheers CC, dogood

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 18:53 by Guest

Grinning Greg on Sky thinks it will take her ranking up to around No.50 but I beg to differ. Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 19:48 by Guest

I am just wondering whether Laura's emergence could be a blessing for Andy. I mean it certainly diverts a bit of attention/pressure/expectation and weight of pressure off of his shoulders a bit surely? Media will now turn a lot of their attention to Laura and perhaps this will prove to help Andy. Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 21:42 by Jubbahey

Damn it, missed a good match again.

Couldn't believe my eyes when the scores came up on Eurosport news bites. 6-2 !!!!!, now i know I said she could win this match, but that scoreline says something different to what I forecast.

Did Li Na buckle or was it Laura's thumping forehands down the line that beat her ?

I'll have to try and hunt the match down on UTube again.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 21:45 by Jubbahey

CC, for once, I don't think he gives a monkeys about the intense attention he gets anymore, and its not as if he gets the same kind of media focus as he attracts in Wimbledon, its more appreciative and supportive over there.

But yes, less cameras and questions gives him more time to himself, though he may well be sick of the Gold Medal congratulations he must still get even now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 21:50 by Guest

It was mentally a very strong performance by Laura. When she may have started doubting it would be her day such as losing the second set tie-break and then getting ludicrous umpiring decisions when she had a break point in the third set she never buckled. It galvanised here and she just powered through the third set. That is impressive for an 18-year-old playing a slam winner and player ranked in the world top ten. Her powerful forehand shots often rushed Li Na into mistakes and her movement and pace around the court have improved immeasurably in the last few months.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 22:57 by Jubbahey

thanks CC

Just watched a few highlights and they dont do her justice obviously, judging by peoples reactions on here and on the web.

Seeing her play against the Wimbledon gold medallists with Andy and how she managed to handle the serves from Max Mirny showed that she has matured rapidly since joining the pro circuit. She has been mentored correctly and not allowed to progress too quickly physically, which I think is now paying dividends. We all said give her time and she'll do well.

Not this well I'm sure, but its not that big a surprise that she has beaten these two heavyweights. Sharapova, Williams and Kvitova are another story though and I can't see her getting past them if she manages to get that past Stosur, but then Sam is another folder when the pressure is up sometimes, historically she is a bit weak in the mental dept.

Defending champion or not, Stosur is looking strong and fit and up for it. It'll be a stern test for Laura, but she can only take positives away from that match, she's in a win win situation for a change.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 11:24 by Guest

I managed to miss this match - grrr. Trying in vain to get livestreams to work, I eventually gave in and agreed to download a plug-in, which completely messed up my computer - not only did it pinch my search engine, but it also pinched my homepage and somehow managed to disable the choice to change the homepage back to the one I want! I had to do a system restore to get back control, and by the time I had done that, the match was over. I hope it will turn up on Eurosport Player.

If Laura keeps up this type of improvement, I might have to start watching women's tennis. . .

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 15:06 by Jubbahey

Its certainly going to get exciting, just have to cross fingers and hope Laura can persevere.

From experience Dec, I don't download any video codec files, like Livid etc, but use FireFox (which has crashed due to a Flash update...grrr) and an addon called no-script to stop popups and indiscriminate scripts from taking over your browser.

I'm on a chrome browser at the moment, so I can watch stuff, but I'd rather use FireFox as its much more secure. Sites like LSHunter can't keep track of all the video codec files, and advertisers take advantage of them to air their trade, so its up to the users to download whats needed. But on average, most LSHunter links don't need anything more than Adobe's Shockwave Player. I have V.Share.TV plugin, but thats it and in combination with No-Script, its behaved itself.

Laura is on around 6:00pm on Louis Armstrong, lets hope Eurosport show this, wont know till they start broadcasting.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 21:31 by Guest

Laura Robson should be on court within the next half hour or so to play Sam Stosur. Surely, the biggest match of Laura's life so far. Hopefully, she can repeat her performances of the last two rounds and if so she must have a decent chance as Stosur does have a history of losing when expected to win,

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 21:51 by Guest

Robson and Stosur walk onto court. Come on Laura do yourself justice and who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 22:01 by Jubbahey

And cue Eurosport only showing highlights of this match tomorrow.

They definitely have something on with sky sports.

Hope it all changes when the numbers go down and there is only so much they can show during the day at any one time.

so here we go, two aussies against each other Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 22:02 by Jubbahey

Nervy hold from Stosur...1-0

c'mon Laura don't get overawed by it all.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 22:02 by Guest

Stosur holds to 30 and leads 1-0.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 22:04 by Guest

Comfortable hold for Laura and it is 1-1.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum