The Era is dead, long live the Era.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Era is dead, long live the Era.

It may be obvious to some and painfully denied by others, but in reality Roger Federer's era has all but ended.

He may be able to lift another trophy or two, that is the man and how good he is, but more importantly, he is enabling many young players to savour the legend and experience what it is to play against someone of Roger's calibre by not retiring sooner rather than later.

I should think they look up to him in awe and to have the chance to play on the same court as him will be a memorable episode, one they won't forget in a hurry. Its great to see him continue to play on the tour and I hope he does so till at least the end of next year, but I don't think that will happen. Talk of another Olympics is brave, but can he really commit himself to the rigours of Slams and Masters etc just to give himself a chance, a last hurrah at the Rio Games ?

For me, he will announce his retirement sometime after the WTF's in London, I don't want it to happen, but I think he has given up so much of his life in the last twelve months, that the next holiday break will give him the impetus to declare himself finished, at the end of his tennis time. I salute him for his longevity and commitment, and for the fact that his continued presence on the tour has paid back in dividends much of what he got out of it. Lets be basic about this, he could have retired two years ago and no-one would have moaned, he could have hung his racquet up and left the scene with head held high and he'd have been none the worse for it.

Personally I would retire at the place I won my first and last slam at....Wimbledon 2003-2012, and it would be a fitting end to close the chapter on his career at the home and birthplace of tennis. He would get the best send off there and be at the place where he is more likely to win a slam than anywhere else.

I'd hate to see him go, but I'd hate it even more if he carried on, succumbing to niggling injurys and becoming a punch-bag to the top ten players and even some younger ones coming through. Far better to go out on his own terms and in style and dignity.

But we can still bask in his glory and watch what is probably going to be the GOAT in our own lifetime and enjoy what's left to see.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum