Laura now breaks a monkey.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Laura now breaks a monkey.

Its been 22 yrs since we had a British woman in a WTA final and 24 yrs since a British woman won one.

Sara Gomer won the 1988 Northern California Open beating Robin White 6–4, 7–5.

Jo Durie was a beaten finalist in the Virginia Slims in Newport by Spain Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 7–6, 4–6, 7–5

Its going to be a close one for Laura and she will have to call on all her fighting prowess.

Chinese Taipei's Su-Wei Hsieh will play Laura after the world No.53 beat fourth seed Urszula Radwanska 6-1 3-6 6-0.

They seem to be evenly matched, but Laura was beaten in their only meeting last year in Japan, 7-6(4) 6-4 in the first round of qualies.

But, and its a big but, Laura is coming into this tournie on the back of a US Open 4th round loss to Stosur having beaten two previous slam champions to get there. Rankings say it will go the other way, but Robson is not playing to her rank, more like leaping ahead of the points and playing "chase me" to them.

You can watch the action tomorrow morning (saturday) at 8:00am on Eurosport 2
http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/live-wta-guangzhou_sto3432190/tvproduct.shtml

Expect nerves, from me that is !!!! No Nails Left

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Laura now breaks a monkey. :: Comments

Post on Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 13:40 by Jubbahey

Sadly it wasn't to be, but Laura did put up a good fight.

Down a set to changes of break, she lost the 1st set 6-3 and was 5-3 down in the 2nd set before reeling off a row of games including 2 breaks to win it 7-5, which included 5 tournament points against her on serve.

She powered in to the lead of the 3rd set 3-0, but her opponent then reeled off her own run of games and Laura never fully recovered. She lost the match 3-6, 7-5, 3-6.

But it has to be said the conditions were very hot and humid, heavy going and after 5 days of matches, I think it came down to experience and fitness.

There was nothing wrong with Luara's game overall, apart from the fact that Hsieh hits a very flat soft forehand and has a diabolical drop shot. Robson never really got to grips with that side of Hsieh's game and suffered with her own serving problems too.

1st serve down in the 50% or less and her 2nd serve going into double figures on DF's. Her UE's were prob down to the conditions and the flat, no-spin of the returns, but she gave too many soft points away again, as she did in the Stosur match.

But her groundstrokes are improving and becoming more consistent, apart from a few lapses, but she still has growing pains fitting into the main tour. Once she has got a few more matches like this against different styles and approaches under her belt, Laura will get more used to dealing with them and her match fitness and techniques will improve too.

Her service style has to change, she still misses the toss up and does not seem to have any confidence at times, but she has some belief that she can bring down an ace and does so at the most important times. Lots of work there, but she is improving all the time, so all in all, more hard work to follow, but her coach is taking her in the right direction, small improvements here and there and getting the match experience to settle her nerves as she progresses.

When Laura hits 20, I fully expect her to be in the top 20 or higher, she has the potential and the ability to do so, I only hope she recognises that the next two years are going to be tough and I hope she will be able to take the very lows as much as the beautiful highs, its a good learning curve for any player, losing well as much as badly sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 16:36 by Guest

I'm not used to watching the ladies matches these days, but I found it a bit annoying watching Laura serve. I mean, there is inconsistency and there is madness? She served 11 double faults - that's nearly 3 whole games she gave away. And her misses were more often than not big misses - I saw a couple nearer the baseline than the service line, and many half-way across the wrong side of the court. If she can work on that - and maybe stop trying to serve aces on second serves, just get them in and try to win the rally, which she has a good chance of doing.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by watching so much men's tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 17:03 by Jubbahey

Yes Dec, Laura gave too many points away on her serve, at times not only soft but inexcusable.

Her second serve must be the worst on the tour atm, and although it has improved in depth when it goes in, there is no consistency or confidence there.

I can understand the shots going out, she didn't think enough about the shots coming to her that were flat and with no force, so she overcooked many of them.

Laura doesn't play with a lot of top spin, so she has less room for errors or lack of length. Murray went through a similar situation a few years back, and he has adopted a more toppy shot than before, but of course this lessens the ability to hit a winner, whereas Laura hits many of those when her radar is turned on.

Its all swings and roundabouts, but I'm sure she will bring a game together that will enable her to contend for a slam title.

But yes, it is frustrating to watch a player serve and hit badly when under no pressure.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum