Tokyo ATP 500

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tokyo ATP 500

Post by Guest on Fri 5 Oct 2012 - 8:34

Raonic up next. Still haven't seen anything from me that convinces me he can trouble the top players. Murray's return of serve looks is good nick, so can't see anything to bother him there Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 5 Oct 2012 - 11:12

I was determined not to open any Forums until I had watched the match, but just as I opened the tennistv stream ready to rewind for the start of Andy's match I heard them say "match point Murray". Ah well, it saved my fingernails during the second set, knowing that he had won.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 8:55

A disappointing defeat for Murray against Raonic in the semi-finals losing in a third set tie-breaker and another tournament passes that Andy was expected to win but he hasn't. If he is serious about ever wanting to reach world No.1 these are the kind of tournaments he is going to have to win. Congratulations to Raonic though and just signifies that there are up and coming youngsters out there. Not a heartbreaker now that Murray has his slam win but still not what I want to see if Andy is to become a reall contender for world No.1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 14:30

To me, he is looking very tired. I'm not at all happy about him doing the Basel/Paris/WTF trio three weeks in a row: doing well at the WTF is more important than these 500s, though I agree winning them would be better than losing them. I hope he can defend Shanghai, or that would be a lot of points lost, but he has next to nowt else to defend for the rest of the year and if he doesn't over-do things he can make up the deficit then, hopefully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 18:00

I don't think we are going to see the same superior rush of ascendancy to No1 as we saw with Djokovic.

2011 was in all aspects one of the greatest sporting achievements we may see in our lifetime, and I wouldn't want to compare Andy's next 12 months in the same light as Djokivic's.

I didn't think he had much of a chance to get to No1 until Feb next year at least. Murray is not in the same mould as Novak and we shouldn't expect too much from him. No1 is a good aspirational target and one I'd like to see him achieve, but in all honesty are we going to see the same level from Andy as Djokovic attained in 2011 ?

Nadal may be back in the frame come the new year or sooner hopefully, but I'm not expecting to see Federer around then. So for me, it will be between Rafa, Novak and Andy to hustle for the No1 spot in 2013. If Roger does stay the course, then that's good for tennis but not for him.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 6 Oct 2012 - 22:57

Just watched the match and Andy was a tad H&C, but cold during the important points, esp the 3rd set TB.

Still, got to give Raonic some credit, he produced some stunning GoJ shots when he needed them.

Murray at times threw too many UE's to Miles and that may have been the telling stat. So a bit of a downer for us and Andy, and I did question his choice of event, a 500 ? maybe he thought it would be a walkover or something and as Dec has said, "3" tournies in as many weeks after the US marathon ? a bridge too far if he had managed a final, so he gets an extra day off, will that be enough ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum