Shanghai Masters 1000

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shanghai Masters 1000

Post by Guest on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 19:09

I assume we have a new thread for the 2012 tournament?

Andy has a bye in the first round, then the first match will be against either Flo Mayer or Bernie Tomic. Both rather unorthodox players, it should be interesting.
The other main seed in his quarter is Isner, and he is in Fed's half.

(Raonic is on the other side of the draw Wink )

Back to top Go down

Re: Shanghai Masters 1000

Post by Jubbahey on Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 10:29

Andy has experienced the hangover of not just an Olympic Gold, but a maiden Slam trophy too. A whole new ball game for him and he will have learnt a lot from the week preceding each massive event this year. We shall have to see how Andy is going to manage his schedule from now on, it may resemble Nadals calendar, who has always put stamina capacity considerations first, over obligatory appearances wherever possible.

I don't expect him to play in the same way this time, esp against Raonic, who was in good spirits and form and had a nothing to lose attitude, went for all his shots and it earned him just revenge.

I think he will win this tournie, its not going to get any easier, players will be out to beat him for the kudos a win like that generates, but Andy will get tougher and tougher as the weeks pass by, as long as he remains hungry for more.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 13:06

One of my fave tourneys. Hoping it will be shown on bet365 (I'm pretty sure it will be)

Good luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 16:12

The pressure is on Andy somewhat. He has won this tournie in the last two years so he has big points to defend and a strong field to contend with. Best of luck Andy and here's hoping he can get back to winning ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 10:46

Well, dammit. I was looking forward to today's match - this is the only free morning I have this week - and Funky Flo has given Andy a walkover because of a rib injury.

At least he gets more points without any effort - and a bit more rest in this exhausting season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 15:10

Well it won't really be any points unless he wins the tournament as Andy has 1000 points to defend as he won this tournament last year. Agreed it gives him a chance to recharge batteries for the Third Round match tomorrow against Alexandr Dolgopolov. Andy should win through in that match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 16:06

Yes, I meant he will have defended 90 of his 1000 without any effort!

Actually looking at it that way, he won't get any more points EVEN IF he wins the tournament Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 16:11

Yes Dec it is all about defending the points he won last year at Shanghai. Hopefully, he can do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 20:56

These may well be the defining moments a player has after a maiden slam win....that of playing well enough to cement their position. It can go either way depending on attitude and state of mind.

Del Potro didn't do a good job of that after his first win, at the US open too.

Lost in Japan to Vasselin.
Lost in Shanghai to Melzer.
Lost in Paris to Stepanek.
Then lost to Murray in RR 1stR at the WTF's. (he did get to the final though, but lost)

A lot was down to injury, but fit for purpose (that lovely term from our old DuggieToo) is as relevant as talents and skills.

We shall have to see how Murray contains the jitters and settles down to winning ways.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Oct 2012 - 11:39

A solid enough start from Andy Murray to win the first set 6-2 against Alexandr Dolgopolov. Second set about to get under way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Oct 2012 - 12:17

Andy Murray through in pretty straight-forward fashion winning 6-2 6-2 against Alexandr Dolgopolov. Aside from a racket smashing outburst he was always in control and he sets up a quarter-final match against Radek Stepanek.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Oct 2012 - 12:39

He was coughing a fair bit, I hope he can dose himself with whatever they are allowed to use. Next match v Stepanek, who took out Isner in 3 sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 Oct 2012 - 12:44

Watched the match - easy for Andy bearing in mind he got broken (hence the racket smash)- I personally don't rate Dolgopolov as a future star, he does have some nice touches but is usually all over the place!

Stepanek shouldn't pose too many problems and I would like to see him get Federer in the semi, but would also love to see Stan take out Roger today - wonder how 606v2 would react to that one lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 17:47

Andy Murray through to the semis then but was made to work for his win in three sets against Radek Stepanek. Next up for Andy is a semi-final against Roger Federer. I have a bad feeling about this as Andy hasn't been at his best in Shanghai and I get the feeling Rog is still smarting from his Olympic defeat so will be spurred on by that. I hope I am wrong but if Andy puts in even a slightly tetchy display tomorrow he will lose. Lets hope not. Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 20:10

After watching that match, you'd be forgiven in thinking Murray had just come off a slam loss to Federer.

Head down, mutterings, racquet juggling, ball chucking, evil eyes.

All the usual ware peddled when his confidence is at its lowest ebb.

The only difference I saw today, compared to his terrible run after the 2011 Ozzie open was his backhand drive that went like a bullet. The match bore all the hallmarks of some of his more recent plunges into despair following big losses to the big 3. He turned it around in the 2nd set, when I think he suddenly remembered who he was, a slam winner and this should not be happening. It took another 4 games for him to bounce back into something resembling recent form, but not until the last vestiges of the 3rd set were in sight did he begin playing the Murray 2012 model we all know.

The good news is that I see this as a shunt in the backside for him, and his next opponent will not give him a yard of ground, which will in fact, turn his brain on for the first time since the US Open. Its going to be a reality check for Andy, he must have had his head in the clouds for a while since, so I expect a good wholesome match from them both and we should see both players giving a good display.

Will Murray beat Federer ?

I don't know. It all depends on which players forces his superiority on the other in each set. 3 sets I should think, but either player could run away with it.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 20:18

I was out all morning so watched this match knowing the result - much easier on the nerves. Andy wasn't coughing so much but still didn't seem well, wiping his face on his shirt often - I don't think I have ever seen him do that before - as though he was sweating too much to keep going for the towel, and seemed as though he was having difficulty breathing through a stuffed-up nose. He was certainly in bad fettle temper-wise. . .(like a lot of men when they are not well. . )
He usually ups his game against Federer or Nadal, so I hope he is feeling well enough tomorrow to do that or it may not be pretty. I have read however that Fed is not playing very well either - I don't know, I only saw the end of his match with Cilic and Cilic was so bad it was impossible to tell how Fed was playing.

Anyway, good luck Andy. Do your best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 14:49

Murray pretty much in the driving seat, didn't see the 1st set, so don't know how that progressed, but Andy's attacking ability on Federer's serve against Federer's receiving seems to be telling.

andy serving for the match, so it all happens here.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 14:51

little rain break, or should we say.....a federer break

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 14:55

Rogers changing his shirt, what does he know we don't.......the match is going to go further than one more service game ????

Lets hope he hasn't had a prophetic moment !

Rain still heavily hitting the court at about a rate of one drop per square yard ! is this an example of event organisers wringing the last drop of suspense from this match ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 14:58

Off for 15mins now....egads, not sure Roger wants this either.

Looks like they're waiting for the court to dry, or at least get "drier". Roof closing too.

Last edited by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:18; edited 1 time in total

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:08

Anyway, from what I've seen, both players are going for their shots, playing some good rallies with neither player giving up any ground, Roger is slightly under powered it seems, as if he has not got into top gear yet, whereas Andy looks to be there, not completely, but playing close to his best without looking like he is trying that badly to do so.

Murrays serving has improved and his 1st serve is where it should be. A good 2nd serve, deep and penetrating is giving him time to get ready to play the return. When your serve is generating a good number of free points, you know its working.

If he can put this game to bed in the next few points, then I'd say he has got his head together at last. But he has always been the notorious slow starter, hasn't he?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:22

They are back on and knocking up.

Always a bit niggly, coming back after a break to try and close a match out, but Andy has done this a number of times, as long as his 1st serve remains strong and backs it up with his deep 2nd serves, it should be enough.

and here they go......

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:23

15-0 serve out wide and return is wide.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:24

UE from Roger into the net with a routine rally.

30-0

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 15:24

Long from Murray UE to give Roger 1 point.

30-15

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum