Paris Masters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paris Masters

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 19:10

What do you think of Andy's chances here - bearing in mind his draw and the absence of Roger & Rafa?

Back to top Go down

Re: Paris Masters

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 19:28

Draw looks good. My wee concern now though is if Andy and Nole get to the final and have another slugfest they'll be a little tired for London, sly dog Roger is up to something Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 20:16

At least if that does happen it's only the best of three sets.

Roger is going to find it more difficult in the future with regards to fitness and the time required to keep up with the younger ones.

He looked tired against Del Potro in Basel and I think he didn't want back to back defeats assuming he was to have got to the semis or the final in Paris.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 7:45

No excuses for Andy if he doesn't at least reach the final and I am really hoping he wins the tournament as, my one gripe of this year would be that he has not won enough tournaments. Sure he's won the one that matters but Masters wins and lesser tournaments all add to his legacy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 16:26

I agree CC that it would be good for him to win another tournament but I think he has one eye on London. After last year he will be want ing to come out all guns blazing.
Boo Sky just showed a rerun of Murray v Berdych in Paris that went for 3 1/4 hrs, add that to another 3 long sets against Djokovic and then straight to London might just play a part. However I also agree that Fed can't now go head to head with as much confidence as he used to. I wonder how many defeats he takes over 2013 before he calls it a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 21:00

First match v Mathieu at not before 6.30 tomorrow, UK time. H2H is 4-0 to Andy, but as we saw with Chardy that may not matter

Really the only person here who SHOULD trouble Andy is Djokovic. I know he would like to win the WTF but the opposition is SO much tougher for only another 300 or 500 points. I wouldn't mind if Andy "vultures" (to use an MTF term) in Paris - it would be awful to go too timidly and go out early here, then maybe pick up an injury and bomb out of the WTF as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 21:00

Of course it would be better if he can win both!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 16:32

Well the Murray v Djokovic final ain't gonna happen as Nole beaten by Querry. Djokovic won the first set 6-0 Shocked Over to Andy tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 17:39

I will be disappointed now if Andy doesn't win the tournament. It has opened right up for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 20:39

Andy Murray beats Paul Henri-Mathieu 7-5 6-3 to book his place in the Third Round. Andy wasn't at his best but he still had too much for the Frenchman. Next up for Andy is the qualifier Jerzy Jancovic so Andy will be expected to progress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 20:49

A fairly easy win for a "rusty" Andy who was never really in any danger of losing this one.

Yes his opponent did play some excellent shots but the difference being the lack of consistency which separates those outside the top ten from the likes of the top guys,(I see Novak was not at his best today won the first set 6-0 and lost in three, so there is not guarantee however that they can win all the time)

His next opponent is from Poland and Andy has played him a few years back (Davis Cup) when he was in his teens. Andy says he is tall with a strong first serve and he "will have to up his game" for this match - but he says that after every match win (unless it's the final) lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 20:54

Decent enough play to adapt to the court and get the win. Another couple of good warm ups and he can treat the Wtf next week as the second week of a slam and up his game to end the season on a very big high Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 16:50

So, Andy lost to Jerzy Janowicz in three sets. None of the big 4 left in the tournament.

I don't think he tanked. It seemed to me Andy went into the match wanting to win it. However it was such a
struggle in the second set, I think when he lost the tiebreak he went into a bit
of indecision - is it worth flogging myself to death here to win this
match, and maybe injuring myself just before the WTF like last year? I
also noticed even in the first set he was flexing his back muscles as if
either his back hurt or he was worried it was going to hurt! Before he
could make up his mind what to do he was down two breaks, and
realistically, against a huge server in a good streak, that wasn't
really feasible.

I have to say I can't see myself ever being a big fan of Janowicz, even though I am always watching for new players coming through. I don't find a game of almost all aces very interesting to watch. There is little doubt, though, that nobody is going to want to meet this lad in the early rounds of tournaments - like Karlovic used to be, he is going to be a real banana skin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 17:07

Well at least he has got his hat trick - match point in his last three tourneys and lost them all!

Still he can be forgiven after the Gold & USO.

I don't think his mind was in Paris but back in London for the WTF?

As for tanking it after the tie break he capitulated.

As for Janowicz maybe this is what the future holds with him and the likes of Raonic, who knows, but I wouldn't pay a lot of money to watch it.

DelPotro has just gone out so it could well be a first Masters title for???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 18:17

I recorded this to watch later, don't think I'll bother now. Seeds are dropping all over. Organisers won't be happy and might suggest this is moved somewhere else in the calendar. Then again a certain Frenchman may go on to win and that would be nice for him. I hope for a Tsonga win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 19:40

Sorry but that is a very disappointing showing from Andy. To be match point up and ending up losing to a qualifier, in a tournament left beautifully open for him to win with 1000 points up for grabs just isn't good enough. If he really does have aspirations of becoming a world No.1 he should be gobbling up 1000 points especially when they are virtually presented to him as they have been this week. Very poor show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Nov 2012 - 17:42

Well Jerzy Janowicz has knocked out Tipsy with a display to rival yesterdays against Andy.

This man could well be the new kid on the block (age 21) and although I am not a fan of the big server such as Karlovic and Raonic I prefer Jerzy to both, and he could well be a future top ten player if he improves on other areas of his game.

As for Andy I have a feeling he will round off the year by winning the WTF!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 3 Nov 2012 - 14:16

I agree BOO for a big guy he moves pretty well and has some delightful soft touches to just get the ball dropping over the net. He's currently on course to win the first set against Simon, and may just get to the final.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 3 Nov 2012 - 16:01

No denying how impressive Jerzt Janowicz has been this week. He has just beaten Gilles Simon in straight sets to seal a place in the Paris Masters Final. The 21-year-old Pole looks set to break into the seedings for the Australian Open courtesy of the ranking points won here in Paris. Is he the next big star of our game or is this a flash in the pan? Time will tell but Murray should still have taken him out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum