Australian Open 2013

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open 2013

Well the 2013 Australian Open is almost upon us and Andy Murray will go into it as one of the favourites. His record in Melbourne stands up very well having reached two of the last three finals and almost made the final last year. He will go into the tournament with a whole new mindset as a slam winner now and that must put him in good stead surely. Clearly, his biggest threats will be Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer and a lot could depend on the semi-final draw. It is likely that Andy will draw the No.1 seed Novak Djokovic in the semi again and that may just be a virtual final. If Andy were to win that I'd be super-confident he could win his second slam but lets not get too far in front of ourselves. Andy, hopefully, can put his friend Ross Hutchins illness out of his mind and focus on the task in hand. It is imperative he can negotiate his way through the early rounds with the minimum of fuss and without drawing matches out too long.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Australian Open 2013 :: Comments

Post on Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 10:46 by Guest

By the way for all of you with smartphones I recommend you download the official app for the Australian Open. A great way to keep in touch with all the scores and latest news when you are on the move. It is now available (for free) on Google Play Store (for Android) and have no doubt it will also be in Apple's App Store.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 10:51 by Guest

Murray is second favourite imo, behind Djokovic probably.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 11:16 by Guest

I wouldn't disagree there but should Andy meet Novak in the semis it will be very interesting to see how the US Open Final outcome plays on their minds.

If we look at the real crunch matches between the pair over the last year Andy has a definite edge. First of all in last year's Australian Open semi Novak narrowly won a five set classic as Lendl's association with Andy begun. In the Olympic semi Andy won in straight sets quite convincingly and in the US Open Andy hung tough to beat Novak again.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 10 Jan 2013 - 22:14 by Guest

Qualifying for the Australian Open is now well under way. In the early hours of the morning two Brits Jamie Baker and James Ward are in action in the Second (of three) Rounds of qualifying. Best of luck to them.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 0:21 by Guest

The draw has been made for the Australian Open and Murray's potential route to glory looks like this:-

Round 1 Robin Haase (Ned) (World No.58)

Round 2 Souza (Por)

Round 3 Florian Mayer (Ger) (No.25 Seed)

Round 4 Gilles Simon (Fra) (No.14 Seed) or Alex Dolgopolov (Ukr) (No.18 Seed)

Quarter-Final Juan Martin Del Potro (Arg) (No.6 Seed)

Semi-Final Roger Federer (Swi) (No.2 Seed)

Final Novak Djokovic (Ser) (No.1 Seed)

A tricky opener but then no real worries until it starts getting tough from the quarters onwards.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 16:06 by Jubbahey

Jamie Baker through to first round, well done lad!

Had 3 weeks training with Murray et al and a little advise from Lendl....

"Go out and win, go out and kill the guy" which is translated from his native Czech (not Slovak) without the expletives...lol.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 21:19 by Guest

Yes I followed the score on the official app. Odd as out of the two Brits left James Ward had the far easier opponent yet lost. Well done Jamie. He plays Lukasz Rosol in the First Round.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 13 Jan 2013 - 18:15 by Guest

Well prediction time folks as the Australian Open starts in a few hours time. Obviously, the chief contenders are Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Roger Federer and I firmly believe the champion will be one of those three such is their quality above the rest. Evidently, Djokovic loves these courts and their speed as he will be attempting to become the first player ever to win three Australian Open titles on the bounce. He'll be ravenous to win anoher slam as his last slam win was a year ago. Andy Murray will be revitalised and self-belief will be at a new high after his US Open win. He has a decent record in Melbourne reaching two finals but he will be attempting to break a voodoo. No player has won his first slam and won his next slam straight away. Roger Federer may be 31 but Wimbledon last year showed there is life in the old dog yet. His main problem is that these courts are a little slower than he likes and he has a tricky looking draw. I would love to see Andy Murray clinch his second slam but I have a feeling Novak Djokovic will retain his crown beating Murray in the final.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 5:44 by Guest

A straight forward win for Novak Djokovic beating Paul Henri Mathieu 6-2 6-4 7-5. Youngster Daniel Goffin succumbed to seeded Verdasco but put up a fight whilst Aussie Matthew Ebden is really testing seeded Russian Youzny as I type leading by two sets to one.

An early heads-up for tomorrow - Andy Murray is first on Rod Laver Arena so his match will be starting at midnight (UK Time). Right now off to work. :-(

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 14:26 by Guest

Andy first on at 12-00am tonight - will probably stay up rather than recording it!

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 14:58 by Guest

A battling win for Heather Watson today. She must do better though if she wants to go deep here.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 15:50 by Guest

BOO wrote:Andy first on at 12-00am tonight - will probably stay up rather than recording it!

Yes I will watch it live. Will probably catch a couple or three hours kip first and set the alarm to waken me up.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:08 by Guest

Murray-Haase should be a good game Smile

Caledonian, I am up against BOO tomorrow in the picking game. At 11:30 am tomorrow when I reveal the matches, I will immediately send you a copy of my picks.
This way, when I reveal who I have picked later on, you can ensure I haven't cheated.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:30 by Guest

Okay no problem.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:38 by Guest

Here is hoping Andy has a straight forward win in a few hours time. Haase is renowned for hard hitting ground strokes but if Andy produces anything near his best he will be fine. Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 22:14 by Guest

He'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 1:25 by Guest

As I type Andy Murray has just taken the second set and leads 6-3 6-1 in an hour and seven minutes. He needs a clinical third set now to get through as fresh as possible as the hot conditions look tough. A pretty solid start by Andy and was really aggressive at the outset. His level dipped a tad but he was soon back in the ascendancy. So far so good against a tough opponent to draw in the First Round and he has broken serve straight away at the start of the third set.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 2:02 by Guest

what I really loved about that match from Murray was the attitude. In past times against someone like Haase you'd see Murray two or three yards behind the baseline most of the time, Haase being the aggressor. Here it was Murray aggressing, playing on the baseline, and Haase remarkably being pushed back way behind it. Exactly what Lendl wanted: I remember him saying that Murray had to get used to playing aggressive in the early rounds so that he was ready to be more aggressive against Fed, Djokovic or Nadal, and that's exactly what Murray did today, so Lendl will be delighted.

Also, the return of serve was superb, Haase has a big first serve but was winning barely half the points behind it, just brilliant returning

could not have wished for a better start to the campaign really.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 2:06 by Guest

Murray answers my request and wins 6-3 6-1 6-3 in an hour and a half. Aside from a few too many unforced errors I can't find anything else to complain about. Next up will be Sousa from Portugal who is ranked 130+ in the world so Andy should have very little problems there. Touch wood.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 18:45 by Guest

I do feel Jamie Baker will be kicking himself tonight. He served for the first set but ended up losing it in a tie-break and in the second set he was a break up and threw it away and ended up losing in straight sets. It could have been so different.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 21:14 by Jubbahey

A small problem of match fitness prob affected his stamina there, but I expect experience told in the end, Rusol is no freak Nadal killer, he can play good tennis, I didnt think Jamie had the required amount of weapons to hurt Rusol, but he did a pretty good job on the day to be fair, serving for the 1st set..

Murray on the other hand played a very aggressive and dominating match, impressing his presence with some breathtaking ground strokes and Haase was in quite a lot of long good rallies too, he's no slouch at retrieving. I was quite surprised just how dominant Andy was, no warm up or probing shots just "straight out the blocks" aggressive play.

Just what many of us have said for a while now. I'm not sure if Lendl if fully responsible for this, as I think Murray has had this kind of substance to his game always, he just never realised he was as good as he was and the belief wasn't there. Ivan may have awakened the Tiger and if Andy plays like this for the next 3 rounds, he may well be unstoppable to the final. I saw a bit of Federer in his tactics today, moving Haase around like a puppet to his commands, it was great to see and I now look forward to his next matches with a little less nervousness.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 21:34 by Guest

Well Jubba I think, all being well, Andy's next test will come in the Fourth Round with perhaps Dolgopolov awaiting but would be surprised if Andy lost that and then Del Potro in the quarters who he has a very good record against.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 23:05 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well Jubba I think, all being well, Andy's next test will come in the Fourth Round with perhaps Dolgopolov awaiting but would be surprised if Andy lost that and then Del Potro in the quarters who he has a very good record against.

Dolgopolov - It ain't gonna happen CC.

Monfils took him out this morning, and talk about erratic tennis (from both) - I think Andy will be fine if they meet.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 15:40 by Guest

Ah right thanks for that BOO - missed that as was at work.

Tonight Andy is due on court at around 2am (UK time) on Hisense Arena to take on Jao Sousa the world No.100 from Portugal. Very confident Andy will have no problems but my main concern will be the heat as the match will be starting at 1pm local time with temperatures forecast to touch 40 degrees. Wow.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum