Australian Open 2013

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open 2013

Well the 2013 Australian Open is almost upon us and Andy Murray will go into it as one of the favourites. His record in Melbourne stands up very well having reached two of the last three finals and almost made the final last year. He will go into the tournament with a whole new mindset as a slam winner now and that must put him in good stead surely. Clearly, his biggest threats will be Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer and a lot could depend on the semi-final draw. It is likely that Andy will draw the No.1 seed Novak Djokovic in the semi again and that may just be a virtual final. If Andy were to win that I'd be super-confident he could win his second slam but lets not get too far in front of ourselves. Andy, hopefully, can put his friend Ross Hutchins illness out of his mind and focus on the task in hand. It is imperative he can negotiate his way through the early rounds with the minimum of fuss and without drawing matches out too long.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Australian Open 2013 :: Comments

Post on Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 18:43 by Guest

yeah, hope Murray gets off court as quickly as possible, as whatever length of time he's on for will no doubt be draining, and he'll lose a bit of weight. Not ideal, but I'm sure he'll cope. Good news is that temperatures are going to go back down fairly rapidly anyway. Nice to see St Roger gets a nice little night match Rolling Eyes

Not sure I'll be getting (staying?) up for this one TBH, but I expect a full report from someone tomorrow Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 19:04 by Guest

I have set the alarm for 1.55am and will watch it. I would say it would be the worse defeat of Murray's career in terms of a shock if he were to lose but it won't happen. A similar win to his opener against Haase would be ideal.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 19:30 by Guest

Going to record it and watch when I get up.

As you say Craig this is one that he should walk but there is always danger, ask Rafa - Wimbledon last year! But Andy is fully fit and should take it in three sets, with a breadstick thrown in for good measure - fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 21:47 by Jubbahey

Can't see Andy going backwards from here on in or for the rest of his career, not with Lendl keeping a watchful eye. That 1st match of his was not just good tennis, it had Slam winner written all over it, compare that one with Rogers and Novaks 1st matches and you'll see the similarities.

This is a formidable Murray now, who knows he can hurt any player on the planet, I was waiting to see just what kind of game and mental stature he would bring to the Ozzie, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. Only injury will ever put him in a weakened state to lose a shoe in match, imo.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 3:02 by Guest

Looks set for a comfortable match for Andy. He takes the first set 6-2 in 31 minutes. Hopefully, Andy doesn't allow his concentration or intensity to drop in this second set.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 3:31 by Guest

A micro dip in Murray's concentration levels does no harm as Murray seals the second set to lead 6-2 6-2. Surely, this is now done and dusted. Awaiting Andy in the next round is a player ranked even lower than Sousa in Richard Burankis of Lithuania who beat No.28 seed Florian Mayer earlier today.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 4:06 by Guest

Andy Murray wins in straight sets 6-2 6-2 6-4.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 19:09 by Guest

A superb win overnight as well for Britain's Laura Robson. She beat No.8 seed and last year's Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in and epic match winning 11-9 in the deciding set to book a place in the Third Round. Laura is 19 in four days time and yet she is now earning a reputation for beating slam winners in slam events. This young woman looks destined to go very far in the sport. Too soon to be talking about slam wins for her just now but in a year or two's time then who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 19:10 by Jubbahey

Yes CC....what a comeback by both Watson and Robson, both girls have exceeded themselves.

A real gutsy performance from Heather, thankfully she found her rhythm just in time as the sun was setting on her hopes of a next round showing. But I think she is confusing muscle cramp with confidence tightness hhaappyy

As for Robson, I managed to catch the 1st set and was dutifully worried, went to work and later found out she'd scrambled the 2nd set but was down a break in the 3rd, more worries and I'd just about given up all hope, then what a surprise to find the score ended with an 11-9 win for Laura, my, she's got some mental stamina in there somewhere.

Brave stuff from our female contingent and another solid match from Andy. A little wayward for about 3 games, but instead of the usual confabulatory flagellation with himself, he just got on with it and Sousa never got a real look-in and Murray imposed himself pretty much all the way.

Del Boy is playing well, good enough to cause Murray a few problems if Andy tries to out hit him, Murray will have to bring a slightly different game on the day and outwit Juan. I have no fears of Andy getting that far either.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 19:26 by Guest

Both women did very well but Robson I'd say looks more likely to really become a possible slam challenger. Watson has yet to trouble/beat the top players unlike Robson. Hopefully, they both continue to make big strides in the sport.

No doubting Andy still has these dips but now they are shortened and cause mere ripples in his game whereas in the past they used to really harm aspects of his game and cause slumps and set losses. He should have no problem against Burankis either. As for Del Boy well I think Andy has his number (5-1 in head-to-head) but Del Boy is playing pretty well. Still expect Andy to win.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 19:33 by Jubbahey

Yep, its definitely a good step in the right direction for Andy, more concentration and less worrying about bad shots.

Heather is, I think, on the cusp of greatness or leveling out. This year may well be the transitional period where she either leapfrogs into the top 30 or even 20 by the end of the year, or she hovers. It all depends if she can improve her groundstroke consistency and bring more power to her game. Her frame is not on the big side and she can suffer from fatigue more quickly than other players, but her resolve is stronger than most.

On the other hand, Laura has more upper body strength and her groundstrokes are more powerful, she also lacks stamina, but she is improving all round by the month.

Both girls need a couple more years to mature and steam ahead, but like you say, Robson is ahead in those stakes, but we shall have to see how much more Heather can beef up her game and her body.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 21:07 by Guest

Laura was stunning!

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 21:26 by Guest

I'm watching the re-run now on Eurosport Player.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 21:32 by Guest

I tried to edit that post to say that I was talking about Andy's match, but something went amiss and the post got lost in the ether.

I saw the start of Laura's match, and didn't think she was playing well at all - but then neither was Kvitova. Delighted to get home this evening and find she won.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 23:00 by Guest

I'm going to have to disagree with Jubba when he says Robson "lacks stamina". Let's not confuse stamina with movement. Robson struggles with her movement at times, though it's much improved, but looking at her today there seems little wrong with her stamina: after three hours on court she was serving as hard as ever, and didn't actually look to be struggling physically, I was actually very impressed Very Happy

I think the sky's the limit for Robson TBH, she has the weight of groundstrokes to hit through the top players, her serve when it fires is a decent weapon (second serve needs a fair bit of work, as does the ball toss), and mentally she's getting stronger (she stayed very calm today throughout). The fact she's clearly willing to work hard on her shortcomings is also a good sign. Also she seems to be able to analyse her performances pretty well, she always seems really lucid in her post-match interviews to me.

As for Watson, well last year I said I thought she'd level out at about the top 50 or so, but she's improved since then, her FH especially has quite a bit more pop on it. Again, a willingness to work on her weak points.

So both have a spot on attitude, and I reckon they'll push each other on too, so hope to see them continue their rise up the rankings.

As for Murray, it was just fine. Clearly was conserving energy in the third set by not going after that many return games once he got ahead, and wasted minimal energy out on court again. There's a sort of quiet confidence in the way he's going about his business which bodes really well.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 5:04 by Guest

Heather Watson succumbed to No.4 seed Agnieska Radswanska 6-3 6-1 overnight. Watson competed well in rallies but got a little wild at times but she is on a learning curve. Tomorrow Andy Murray will be on court at around 4am (UK Time) on Rod Laver Arena to play his Third Round mstch agsinst Richardas Burankis.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 8:50 by Guest

Another one I will have to miss. I'm not very good at changing my body clock at the best of times, but at the moment it's impossible - I have to keep regular hours so I'm fit to drive, my husband is in hospital.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 13:08 by Guest

Sorry to here that D but as for Andy, this one, on paper at least should be a repeat of his last match so hopefully no worries there.

Next week things will get harder, but I hope he gets an evening slot, although the temperatures do seem to be dropping?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 15:43 by Guest

Sorry to hear that Dec. I shouldn't think you'll miss much other than a routine straight sets win for Andy to be honest. Come next week though I am sure he will get some evening matches so his matches will be starting at 8am at the earliest (UK Time).

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 17:03 by Guest

Murray will cruise in straights, imo.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 19:24 by Guest

I would be disappointed if he didn't Amritia3ee. Hopefully, he can wrap up the win inside two hours in three sets.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 4:55 by Guest

A patchy first set from Murray which he finally wins 6-3. Burankis is evidently no mug so this isn't done yet. Meanwhile, Del Potro is facing a real scrap as he trails France's Jeremy Chardy by two sets to one with the match already approaching two and a half hours long. Another potential quarter-final opponent Marin Cilic is involved in a scrap of his own to survive against Andreas Seppi as leads two sets to one.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 5:19 by Guest

Uncomfortable viewing this. Murray at odds with himself and his game and just not got going. Burankis - credit to him is playing some lovely stuff and has just broken to lead 4-2 in the second set.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 5:38 by Guest

Without playing lights out tennis, Murray turned it around to win the second set 6-4 but it was far from straight forward. Murray leads 6-3 6-4 but I get the feeling Berankis isn't going to go away.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 6:23 by Guest

Andy Murray safely through to the Fourth Round beating Ricardas Berankis 6-3 6-4 7-5 after putting in his patchiest display of the tournament so far. At least he got the job done in a little over two hours. Andy's potential quarter-finalist Juan Martin Del Potro has surprisingly lost to veteran French player Jeremy Chardy in five sets and whats more Andrea Seppi has knocked out Marin Cilic. That really opens the draw up for Andy. That means that should Andy win his next match he will play either Jeremy Chardy or Andreas Seppi in the Quarter-Finals.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum