Australian Open 2013

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open 2013

Well the 2013 Australian Open is almost upon us and Andy Murray will go into it as one of the favourites. His record in Melbourne stands up very well having reached two of the last three finals and almost made the final last year. He will go into the tournament with a whole new mindset as a slam winner now and that must put him in good stead surely. Clearly, his biggest threats will be Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer and a lot could depend on the semi-final draw. It is likely that Andy will draw the No.1 seed Novak Djokovic in the semi again and that may just be a virtual final. If Andy were to win that I'd be super-confident he could win his second slam but lets not get too far in front of ourselves. Andy, hopefully, can put his friend Ross Hutchins illness out of his mind and focus on the task in hand. It is imperative he can negotiate his way through the early rounds with the minimum of fuss and without drawing matches out too long.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Australian Open 2013 :: Comments

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 6:27 by Guest

patchy is about right. He didn't really strike the ball well today, but his superior experience saw him through in the tight moments. The positive was the bounce-back factor, in both the second and third sets when he shipped a break of serve he immediately broke straight back.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 8:55 by Guest

Laura Robson has lost 7-5 6-3 to No.29 seed Sloane Stephens. Troubled with an arm/shoulder injury, she fought valiantly but just coughed up too many unforced errors at key times. Still there is much to be pleased about and plenty to work on.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 13:08 by Guest

Roger Federer safely through beating Tomic in straight sets. Meanwhile, Andy waits to hear who his next opponent is. Gael Monfils and Gilles Simon are involved in an epic gruelling match with both getting treatment for knee inuries and an arm injury. The match is well over four and a quarter hours old and has had punishing rallies of 47 and 71 strokes. Murray will be playing a shell of a man on Monday.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 13:36 by Guest

Gilles Simon wins in five in a dramatic and gruelling match . It lasted a fraction under four and three quarter hours and at the end both men were physically and mentally shattered in a match that finished after midnight local time. Simon had knee and forearm injuries and is surely physically shot so Andy couldn't ask for a seemingly easy task to reach the quarter-finals.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 15:05 by Guest

Thanks for that, Craig

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 15:32 by Guest

In all the years of following Andy Murray there definitely hasn't been such a slam where the draw has opened up so much for Andy in various ways. First Florian Mayer (seeded) was knocked out by Berankis and two very tricky potential quarter-final opponents for him Del Potro and Cilic were knocked out today. Whats more his Fourth Round opponent will be physically and mentally drained (Gilles Simon) following a brutal late night match today. Andy has never had an easier route through to a potential semi-final against Roger Federer as either Andreas Seppi or Jeremy Chardy await in the quarters now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 17:05 by Jubbahey

Quite a shock defeat for Del Boy, totally unexpected result.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 17:26 by Guest

It was a shock especially when you consider that Chardy hit much more winners than Del Potro when that isn't what he is really recognised for. It was also surprising because Del Potro had all the momentum going into the final set yet still couldn't win against a player not known for winning notable big matches. Credit to Chardy though as from what I saw he played some lovely stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 5:48 by Guest

David Ferrer through comfortably in straight sets against Kei Nishikori and he will face Nicolas Almagro in the quarter-finals. Almagro went through when Tipsarevic retired injured from their match with a heel injury when trailing 6-2 5-1.

Tomorrow's schedule isn't out yet but Andy Murray looks certain to get his first night match of the tournament. He plays Gilles Simon who needed three hours of treatment after his marathon match yesterday but the No.14 seed insists he will take to the court for the match.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 6:09 by Guest

It seems crazy but Murray and Simon haven't got a night match. They will be the final match on the Hisense Arena in the day session so is due on court around 6am (UK Time). This scheduling annoys me for a couple of reasons. It is unfair on Simon who needs the maximum time to recover from his exploits and also it means Andy has still not played a night match this year and we know court conditions are different at night though Andy hasn't had the chance to get used to them. Roger Federer gets another night slot (his third out of four I think ).

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 12:11 by Guest

Novak Djokovic having to scrap his way to the quarters against Stan Wawrinka. He looked lost in the first set as Stan played mind bogglingly great tennis to win the set 6-1. Slowly, though Novak found his range and from trsiling 5-2 in the second set turned it around to win the set 7-5 and win the third set 6-4. In the fourth set it is going with serve at 2-1 to Stan.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 13:15 by Guest

Wawrinka not finished yet takes the fourth set and we are into a decider. Stan breaks early but Novak breaks back immediately.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 14:10 by Guest

The fifth set goes on at 1am in Melbourne. Djokovic leads Wawrinka 8-7 on serve. What an epic match.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 14:47 by Guest

Novak Djokovic wins through in five hours winning 12-10 in the final set. Gutted for Stan as he really matched Novak all the way but the bigger points were won by Novak. This match will surely not be bettered this year it was that good. Immense.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 15:04 by Jubbahey

Yes, that was one of the best matches so far, Novak being pushed over every inch of the court by stan.

But the world No1 showed why he is so potent in the dying minutes of a match, suddenly producing two immense points to win it. Pity he debased the whole thing by ripping his shirt off, very insulting to Wawrinka's effort, I don't like him doing that, I'm really on the other side of liking Djoko now, he has a tendency to swell his head too much.

Lets hope Simon doesn't do a Stan on Murray tomorrow, I'd rather see just one knackered top 3 player next week.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 16:09 by Guest

The shirt ripping business doesn't really bother me and I feel it is more like something inbred into people in that part of the world. However, Novak is always a complete gent at the end of matches - win or lose.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 16:41 by Guest

I can take the shirt-ripping - it's the Tarzan chest-thumping that puts me off him. I don't know if he did it today, I had to go out just as Stan won the 4th set.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 3:58 by Guest

At the moment it is looking like Andy's potential quarter-final opponent will be France's Jeremy Chardy. He leads Andreas Seppi by two sets to one with the match now just over two hours old.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 4:34 by Guest

And Jeremy Chardy wraps up the win in just under two and three quarter hours to seal his first slam quarter-final spot where hopefully he will be playing Andy Murray. Good performance that and he was very aggressive on any second serve. Andy beware.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 6:30 by Guest

Jo Tsonga looks on the brink of a four set victory against Richard Gasquet. Meanwhile, Andy Murray still waiting to get on court as women's single match is turning into marathon. Gilles Simon will be pleased.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 7:33 by Guest

A scrappy start by Andy and he looks unsettled and a little ragged with too many unforced errors. Still he is a break up and leafs 4-2.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 7:47 by Guest

Murray takes the first set 6-3. At least his serve has improved as the set has gone on but still way too many unforced errors. Surely, there is no way back now for Simon in his debilitated physical condition.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 8:16 by Guest

A slight improvement from Murray in the second set and despite not getting out ofcsecond gear he wins the second set 6-1. Credit to Simon for not quitting but he is getting nothing here.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 8:49 by Guest

Andy Murray safely through 6-3 6-1 6-3 against an exhausted Gilles Simon. He got marginally better but his ball-striking wasn't that clean and making too many unforced errors. Still it is the sign of a great player who can reach quarter-finals in a slam without dropping a set. Congratulations to Andy on reaching his ninth successive slam quarter-final.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 8:57 by Guest

I thought his ball striking wasn't too bad at all TBH, not at his best but much better than in the previous round. Made a few errors, but I think these matches are always tough to approach properly. I'm not worried, I think he's moving through the draw very nicely indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum