Australian Open 2013

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open 2013

Well the 2013 Australian Open is almost upon us and Andy Murray will go into it as one of the favourites. His record in Melbourne stands up very well having reached two of the last three finals and almost made the final last year. He will go into the tournament with a whole new mindset as a slam winner now and that must put him in good stead surely. Clearly, his biggest threats will be Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer and a lot could depend on the semi-final draw. It is likely that Andy will draw the No.1 seed Novak Djokovic in the semi again and that may just be a virtual final. If Andy were to win that I'd be super-confident he could win his second slam but lets not get too far in front of ourselves. Andy, hopefully, can put his friend Ross Hutchins illness out of his mind and focus on the task in hand. It is imperative he can negotiate his way through the early rounds with the minimum of fuss and without drawing matches out too long.

Best of luck Andy.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Australian Open 2013 :: Comments

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 9:06 by Guest

Well done Andy, it's not easy to play somebody who you know has physical problems, especially when they are playing completely differently to their usual way. Simon knew he couldn't run very much and was playing much more aggressively than normal.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 9:34 by Guest

Good point Dec. I also think Andy was a bit confused with what tactic to use. He has such a varied games there were a couple of plans he went to and from on. He tried his normal plan of trying great length and depth on his ground strokes and also clearly looking to wear down Simon as he manoeuvred the tired Frenchman all over the court. All that matters is that he got the job done in quick time but he won't be overjoyed with his performance.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 11:48 by Guest

Roger Federer comfortably beats Milos Raonic in straight sets to set up a quarter-final match against Jo Wilifrid-Tsonga. Raonic was very disappointing and showed himself up to be what I expected - one dimensional. Fed done a thoroughly professional job on him and never gave him a sniff.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 20:42 by Jubbahey

I only saw the 1st set and a half and from my viewpoint, I hope that is his one BAAAAD match out of the way.

You lot are too kind sometimes, me, I hate indecision and that was a fantastic display of "do I do this or that ?"

To be fair Murray turned it around judging by the BBC textbits, but what I saw was pretty horrendous given his talent. I have to balance that below par performance with the fact that he has not been pushed really hard by anybody as of yet this tournie, except maybe Haase in the 1st round, but under pressure there he played clinically compared to today.

I reckon Chardy will give him a run and wake the sleeping dragon and then all hell will let loose.

Whats the odds on a Djoko upset v Berdych ? I think Novak is looking a little susceptible to Murrayesque rallies now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 22 Jan 2013 - 4:44 by Guest

I am getting bad vibes now about Andy's chances for a number of reasons. Firstly, after the first two rounds Andy's performance levels have dropped for me and he has looked ill at ease. Secondly, he runs the real risk of going into the semi (should he get there) seriously undercooked and starved of a competitive match. Thirdly, Roger Federer looks in great shape and had short matches so will be fresh. Fourthly, Andy has still yet to beat Federer in a slam. Fifthly, the scheduling has done Andy no favours as he would go into the semi should he get there having played 0% of his matches at night on Rod Laver Arena which is known to play differently at night whilst Roger Federer has played 80% of his matches in those conditions.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 22 Jan 2013 - 4:45 by Guest

By the way Andy's match against Jeremy Chardy tomorrow should get under way at around 4am (UK Time).

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 5:48 by Guest

Murray takes the first set 6-4 against Chardy. However, the patchiness is continuing to alarm me. Murray led 4-0 and ended up falling over the line. Commentators also noting the backhand not great. Chardy showing he has a very good forehand and slice that has troubled Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:11 by Guest

Now a set and a break up, Murray looks in control but still not flowing.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:22 by Guest

better set from Murray, but once again he looks like cruising through without being tested.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:24 by Guest

Well he is beginning to look more confident, relaxed and fluent. Better but like you say MfC he still hasn't been challenged.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:30 by Guest

My concern as is the commentators is Murray's backhand. It is not firing like it used to whereas the forehand has improved.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:33 by Guest

Maybe they have been concentrating a bit too much on improving the forehand?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:37 by Guest

Well that backhand worked!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:40 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well he is beginning to look more confident, relaxed and fluent. Better but like you say MfC he still hasn't been challenged.

that's not really his fault though. And whenever he has been in a spot of bother (4-2 down against Berankis second set, when Berankis broke back for 5-5 in the third in that match, when Chardy came back in the first set here) he's responded pretty well. would I prefer it if he'd been tested a bit more? yes, certainly, but I expect him to raise his game significantly for the semi-final.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:41 by Guest

Whatever the reason hopefully it all falls back into place.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:51 by Guest

Andy looking much sharper towards the end of the match though. More shots coming off.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:52 by Guest

Until he gets broken serving for it. . .

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 6:59 by Guest

Decrepitude wrote:Until he gets broken serving for it. . .

Never mind, he's VERY good at breaking straight back! (I'd rather he didn't need to, though)

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 7:03 by Guest

A match that gradually saw Andy go up through the gears. A better performance than his ladt two rounds which is encouraging. Still elements of his game such as backhand that wasn't firing. For sure though Andy's most comfortable route through to a slam semi ever so he will be as fresh as a daisy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 10:41 by Guest

Well at least Tsonga is making Federer work for the win. It is level at one set all and going with serve in the third set. Federer's backhand is erratic and Tsonga is serving excellently. If Tsonga can keep his mental demons in check then who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 11:16 by Guest

Federer takes the third set on a tie-break to lead 2-1 in sets with fourth set going with serve. If Fed gets this done in four it will have been a three hour workout for him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 11:40 by Guest

Tsonga showing not the normal (for him) mental stamina as he takes the fourth set and we go the distance with the match around three hours old. I hope Andy is enjoying this with his feet up.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 11:45 by Guest

I don't mind who wins. Andy has a good record against Tsonga, and it's time he got rid of the "can't beat Fed in a slam" slur.

First it was "can't beat him in a final", then it was "can't beat him in a best-of-five final" - time for the last one to go.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 11:49 by Guest

Decrepitude wrote:I don't mind who wins. Andy has a good record against Tsonga, and it's time he got rid of the "can't beat Fed in a slam" slur.

First it was "can't beat him in a final", then it was "can't beat him in a best-of-five final" - time for the last one to go.

I see what you are saying Dec. However, Federer's fans will have a ready made excuse now if Fed wins here and loses against Murray - it will be taken as fact that Fed's age beat him and absolutely nothing else. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 11:58 by Guest

Federer breaks Tsonga's serve and consolidates with a hold and threatening another break. Time for work for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum