Will he, Won't he ?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will he, Won't he ?

Rafa fans must be drooling at the prospect of seeing Nadal back in action, but they may have to wait awhile, his next tournie is in Santiago, Chile. A clay event in which Rafa is seeking to gain some match fitness and ease his knees into competitive tennis once more.

Here is what he said about his comeback.....

"Rafael Nadal admits that he could find things tough on his return to competitive tennis next week after seven months on the sidelines.

The Spaniard arrived in Santiago on Friday amid great expectation and was received by Chilean president Sebastian Pinera at his residence, La Moneda Palace.

Nadal, an 11-time Grand Slam winner, is preparing to take part in the ATP event in Vina del Mar, 120 kilometres to the west, next week.

He will team up with Juan Monaco in the doubles on Tuesday, before his singles return on Wednesday.

Nadal is a wildcard entry into the singles event, and sought to play down talk of a winning comeback after such a long time on the sidelines.

“Undoubtedly the clay surface is a little less aggressive on my knee,” he said, explaining why he chose to return in the first clay-court tournament of the calendar year.

“My aim is to compete courageously and hopefully the knee will stand up to it.

“There is always the possibility that I will lose in the first round after so many months without competing.”

World number five Nadal won the last of his 11 Grand Slam titles to date at last year’s French Open but has not played a competitive match since losing to Czech outsider Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon last June.

“Of course I still feel pain in the knee that sometimes stops me from playing, but you have to start sometime and I am here to try and give my best and hope that my knee comes through it,” he added.

“The injury looks much better. There is no risk that I will suffer any setbacks here.”

.....clearly, there is still doubt in his and his teams' mind about the way in which his knees are going to react to competitive tennis after 7 months out, all the talk will surely be on whether this is a last ditch effort to regain his form or he has in fact taken a properly scheduled sabbatical that will enable him to climb quickly back into the top stream of tennis.

If his knees play up or the pain can not be managed, another set back may be the last time he could be on the sidelines trying to nurture some future out of them. I wish him the best of luck and good health, the game has been missing him for some time now, we need the old Rafa back and hitting those lines again.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Will he, Won't he ? :: Comments

Post on Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 18:02 by Guest

It is a worry that he still feels pain in his knee after all this time out. I mean if he is that way before he plays competitive tennis then that is not good at all in my opinion. Hopefully, all goes well for him in his comeback but those comments of his don't fill me with confidence.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 1:44 by Jubbahey

It wasn't exactly a statement of intent or confidence. He must be morally depressed and will need a few wins to get the edge back. The FO may look far away but its gonna creep up real quick when you're trying to get back into the game.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 20:48 by Jubbahey

Things getting a little hot for the Spaniard...as the week progresses, we might see how his convalescence has fared against the rigors of the tour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21313266

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 18:41 by Jubbahey

Things haven't quite gone according to plan for Nadal, as he has lost the final to an outsider ranked 73.......Horacio Zeballos, an Argentinian.

He admits openly that his knee still gives him pain, how much is not evident from his interviews, but it all depends on his loss being credited to match fitness or tentativeness in exposing his knee to court exertions.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tennis-nadal-give-time-judging-153920640.html

I agree its too early to provide an acute analysis, but its worrying that he is still in enough pain for him to comment on its degree. Its going to be a long hard road if there is enough worry still present in a few weeks time, but a loss to a player he would have brushed aside normally is just one indication that he is not all there yet.

Fingers crossed that as the season progresses, his knee will get stronger and he gets back to his old ways.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 10:14 by Guest

To be honest Jubba the result is pretty immaterial. So he lost a 250 tournament? The main thing is he got through the whole tournament without breaking down. It is all about him regaining match fitness/sharpness and that competitive edge and that will take time. This tournament was always about dipping his toe in the water and next up in Sao Paulo it is about stepping into the pool.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 16:28 by Guest

Interesting that he has pulled out of the doubles citing "knee over-use". Why the heck did he ever enter both singles and doubles anyway, if his knee is still troubling him?

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 20:24 by Guest

Pardon the pun but seems this is a knee-jerk reaction from his doctor who yesterday was in the press saying he should be easing himself back into the sport or he'd run the risk of aggravating the injury.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 22:46 by Jubbahey

I hope the toils of the next slam doesn't make him go for everything as he used to. I know clay is forgiving, but I reckon he has a long way to go before he becomes competitive again.

Will he have the patience to do that ?

And going from clay to grass may allow him a chance to keep the knee protected as much as possible before the hard court season begins.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 23:31 by Guest

One thing puzzles me though. All the blame is being put on hard courts yet Rafa's injury struck after two or three months playing exclusively on grass and largely clay.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 13:30 by Guest

CC, is a gradual thing.
He actually felt it first in Miami 2012, remember him pulling out vs Murray?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 18:55 by Jubbahey

Yes, the comfy season may have prolonged the breakdown and it happened when least expected.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 20:38 by Guest

HI Jubb,

Is there a place to post general tennis articles here?
Not sure which section to post it on.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:11 by Guest

Amritia3ee wrote:CC, is a gradual thing.
He actually felt it first in Miami 2012, remember him pulling out vs Murray?

Ah right yes now I remember. Well hopefully he will now ease himself back to fitness but I worry about all these reports of pain in the knee.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:41 by Jubbahey

Hi Amrit....Planet Tennis section, Tennis World if you like Smile

Or you can start up a new section in Planet Tennis, tell me what you want to call it and I'll set it up.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 14:41 by Guest

Kl Jubb Wink
This site is brilliant in its layout for tournament by tournament formatting, the only problem I have is that there are too many options on the main home page to choose from.

I think the Home-page should have 4 sections:
  • Welcome and Feedback (with the necessary sub-forums once you click that)

• Tennis World (for general posts and debates)

• Tournament by tournament discussion (I think 4 sub-forums are fine: Grand Slams, Masters 1000s, Other tournaments, and Murray Watch. Right now we have I think more than 15 sub-forums for the tournament section which I think may be a bit too much).

• Off Topic and Chat

These are just some suggestions, feel free to implement/ ignore them if you like Smile

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 15:58 by Jubbahey

Thats an interesting idea Amrit, I'll look into it, thanks.

Would anyone like to expand on Amrits propositions ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 22:56 by Guest

No that sounds fine to me.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 15:45 by Jubbahey

Had a look into the Admin panel, and the forum software is made up of Categories/Forums/Blogs....in the order.

The Categories are not editable, in as much, you can not have it as a minimisable/expandable header, much in the same way as 606V2 is laid out.

I could put in a sub header as a forum and have titles under that, but you'd have a repeated header or headers as you navigated through.

I have re-organised the Categories to make them a bit more sensible, put ChitChat in off topic, Archives at the bottom and re-named Tennis World to Tennis Chat, for now that is.

Its a shame as I think it would look better but the site would look very small to a 1st time visitor, with only 4 or 5 Categories and then having to click through each one to see whats in there. I suppose thats why its set up like that, but thats not to say without another look at it, there is not a way to reduce the clutter on the Home page a bit more.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:06 by Jubbahey

Nadal is through to his second final in Brazil and is up against it with Nalbandian on the other side of the net.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21488797

I fancy Nalby for this one, as his forehand to Rafa's backhand may be too much. Thats if Rafa gives him the chance to do so. An interesting match to see.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:08 by Jubbahey

http://www.streamhunter.eu/tennis-live-streaming-video.html

....watching it now and Rafa has taken the 1st set 6-2. Nadals knees looking good so far watching some of the set replays.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:19 by Jubbahey

He's looking better than I thought, but at 15-40, Nalby's got 2 BP's.

...and there it is, a short one at a running Rafa to the net brings up an UE and a break to the Argie.

Lots of UE's from Rafa, long range radar out of whack. Nalby going for drop shots now, and failing. But its 2-0 and Rafa looking a little jaded in the ideas dept.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:20 by Jubbahey

GTGTW, all Rafa needs is a bit of inspiration and he'll nearly be there.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 18:09 by Guest

Rafa wins!
Vamoss

Jubb, I like the changes to the settings.
One other thing I could say, is it possible to totally delete some of the cateogires Wink
eg I'm not sure if Davis Cup, Masters 1000, ATP events all need different categories.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 19:22 by Jubbahey

Good for Nadal, a good performance coming back from 3-0 down 2nd set. His baseline radar was well off today, but his movement looked normal to me. He does look like he's been on a long holiday though, a little chubby cheeked... lol

Hope this is a sign he is on the way back, still a bit of work to do, but the old rafa is still there.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum