WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Official Website    http://www.wimbledon.org

Could this be the year Murray finally bags the big one ? Are all the top 4 players going to meet in the semi's ? or is someone going to upset the applecart ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013 :: Comments

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:28 by Guest

With Wimbledon 2013 just a week away the excitement now starts to build and thoughts turn to what should be an intriguing fortnight of tennis.

As far as the men's singles are concerned it is very open. Perhaps even it is the most open Wimbledon since before Roger Federer took to dominating the tournament. For me I'd still be absolutely gob-smacked if the winner is anyone outside of the big four. For each of that big four you could look at reasons why thy can win and reasons why they can't as I will explain below.

No.1 seed Novak Djokovic has largely been the man to beat over the last couple of years and has already proven his pedigree having won Wimbledon in 2011. However, of late his form has been a little less consistent and that iron will to win seems to have eroded a bit. Still he cannot be ruled out and will start as one of the favourites.

No.2 seed Andy Murray has shown his pedigree on grass winning Queen's three times, runner-up at Wimbledon last year to Federer and then Olympic Champion at Wimbledon beating Djokovic and Federer in back-to-back matches. However, he has recently returned from a back injury and though winning Queen's one feels he will need to up his levels to hit the jackpot at Wimbledon.

No.3 seed Roger Federer is renowned as the greatest grass court player of all-time having won Wimbledon a record seven times. However, old father time is gnawing away at his consistency and ability to compete over five sets. I wouldn't rule him out at all but he'd really need to find a new level in his game that he hasn't achieved for a year.

No.5 seed Rafael Nadal has been in ominous form since coming back from a long injury lay-off and winning the French Open he will be full of confidence and is a twice winner at Wimbledon so his pedigree is evident. He will, however, need to rediscover the knack of winning a slam off of clay for the first time in three years plus here are still concerns over his knees.

So you see a case can be made for each of the big four and the draw will be crucial to the outcome as well. I am tipping Rafael Nadal to win Wimbledon as he is the form man and proven record at Wimbledon. If Murray draws Nadal and proves that the new improved Andy can beat Nadal then I'd feel very confident of a Murray win but that is all fancifil thinking for now.

In any case it should be enthralling.

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 18:50 by Jubbahey

I agree that for most of the top 4, its going to be a testing time. They will each have to prove they can last the first week without any bad hiccups. Obviously Murray is the main culprit, but that is just a comparison and in no way limits his ability to win through matches, but out of the four, he is the slowest starter.

Economy wise I'd say Murray is top of the list as he has shown more mental stamina than the other three and that could be one of the main strengths needed to get to the final. The Murray I've seen hit the ball in the past few weeks and his on court attitude combines well and gives me confidence that he will succeed this year, but I have to acknowledge Nadal's recent form.

He's been quite ruthless but slow to start and a little ponderous on his own surface. He's not as match fit as he used to be and he's lost a lot of weight from his top half, this could be his Achilles heel, as his main weapon has been the depth of his shot. If its lacking a little pace, he could be vulnerable.

The only fly in the ointment for me is Djoko, if he manages to regain his intensity, he'll rampage through the early rounds and fast forward to the semi's. My only hope is that someone will clip his wings and make him work hard during the changeover weekend. Nadal is going to be floating around and could end up meeting either Novak, Andy or Roger in the quarters (I think) so it may well be that they upset themselves, just depends where Murray ends up in the draw.

Federer is the outsider for once, he could go all the way to the final or drop out in the 1st week. He's that serendipitous in his game, he could play "nothing to lose" matches and get back his confidence in one foul swoop. He is in a good situation with regard to pressure and all that, an unfettered Federer could be dangerous.

All in all, I have to agree that its a complete lottery who's going to win this year. Given everything that I've seen recently, Nadal is the more odds on favourite, but this is the grand national of slams and staying power as the main stay of an eventual winner, would have to go to Murray or Djokovic.

Final = Murray V (Nadal or Djokovic) ((fingers crossed of course Cool))

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 19:08 by Guest

Interesting Jubba.

I fear Nadal more as he is quite evidently a bad match-up for Andy. More often than not in slams Nadal has the upper hand in their matches and the head-to-head is a really worrying stat as well. Plus lets not forget Nadal has better grass court pedigree than Djokovic.

On the other hand you always feel it is going to be a really closely run thing between Djokovic and Murray. The head-to-head between the pair backs that up and remember the last time they met on grass Andy dealy out a straight sets defeat to Novak.

It is odd as if it were a Murray V Djokovic final I'd be more confident. However, I would take greater satisfaction if Andy were to beat Rafa or Roger in the final (more so Rafa) as it would lay to rest a few ghosts so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 20:15 by Guest

I was convinced that Djokovic will win the final, but after watching Fed in Halle I've actually changed my mind.

I think Federer last year struggled in FO and Halle, and went onto win- this year he struggled in FO but won Halle playing some good tennis.

I'm really not sure on this- I think Federer to win in a 5 setter against Djokovic in the final.

But it's a very very close call.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:13 by Jubbahey

Amrit, it depends on actually getting to the final.

Ease of that I would put them in this order of merit. On paper of course.

1 Nadal
2 = Murray
      Djokovic
4 Federer

On this years progress to date, and more specifically, this month...

1 Murray
2 Djokovic
3 = Nadal
     Federer

Not seen Federer play, but was he really challenged in Halle ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:21 by Guest

I won't rule Roger out but come on by his super high standards he is struggling big time. Sure he won in Halle but with a much weaker field than Murray had to contend with beating Youznhy hardly convincingly in the final and that was Roger's first title of the year. He lost very tamely in straight sets to Tsonga at RG on the clay which is Tsonga's weakest surface - hardly something to get excited about.

Form men as far as slams go are Nadal and Djokovic followed by Murray and then Federer. Recent grass court form would see me put Federer just ahead of Murray then Djokovic then Nadal. However, Roger is clearly now past his best so the door is open for one of the other three in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:23 by Guest

I think the draw is crucial, especially for Federer.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:24 by Guest

CC, I saw earlier you were defending me on v2- cheers for that.

Strangely enough I was banned from the forum even though I don't feel I did anything wrong, and have now asked for my account to be permanently deleted.
I believe Bogbrush/ Emancipator complain to Julius- who then took the decision- but I'm not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:28 by Guest

I don't think you did any favours by tipping Djokovic on one thread then tipping Federer on another thread but there you go. Best off posting where there is less hassle anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:33 by Guest

Amritia3ee wrote:I think the draw is crucial, especially for Federer.

I agree but needs much more than just the draw going in his favour. He could not have wished for a better draw at RG and look how limply that ended? I just do not think he has another slam in him. Remember that Nadal has long had Federer's number so I cannot see a 31-year-old in decline turning around the recent head-to-head records between them. Also in recent times Djoko has has Fed's number so in my opinion Roger not only needs the perfect draw but also needs big shocks ie early exits for Rafa, Novak and maybe even Andy. I cannot see that happening.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:35 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:I don't think you did any favours by tipping Djokovic on one thread then tipping Federer on another thread but there you go. Best off posting where there is less hassle anyway.
I tipped Djokovic before I saw Halle, but then I changed my mind after watching Fed come back in style against Youzhny.
Not quite sure what's wrong with that, but even if it is wrong, don't see how it's in any way a reason to ban someone from a forum hiding

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:37 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Amritia3ee wrote:I think the draw is crucial, especially for Federer.

I agree but needs much more than just the draw going in his favour. He could not have wished for a better draw at RG and look how limply that ended? I just do not think he has another slam in him. Remember that Nadal has long had Federer's number so I cannot see a 31-year-old in decline turning around the recent head-to-head records between them. Also in recent times Djoko has has Fed's number so in my opinion Roger not only needs the perfect draw but also needs big shocks ie early exits for Rafa, Novak and maybe even Andy. I cannot see that happening.
He can beat Djokovic on grass, Andy will be a close one as well.
I agree he probably needs to avoid Rafa if Rafa is fully fit.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:48 by Guest

Yes but for me there are far too many ifs.

Has Federer been in a stretch of any sort of good form going into Wimbledon?

Apart from winning Halle his season has been a disaster by his standards. I wouldn't get too excited about that win either as he was stretched to three sets by Youznhy who has never beaten Federer in 15 matches.

Is Federer in prime physical shape to win a slam?

Very debatable especially considering the physicality of the sport now. It is not out of the question that he could face the following run-in:- Nadal (QF), Djokocic (SF) and Murray (F). An impossible ask with old father time on his shoulder.

Too many negatives and not enough positives for me.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:49 by Jubbahey

Amrit..........You've been banned !!! or threatened with one ??

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:56 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Amrit..........You've been banned !!! or threatened with one ??
Banned.. and no idea why...

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:56 by Jubbahey

I have to agree with CC about Federer, if he can put himself in overdrive, and coast through the 1st week, he may have a chance. When he's on song, he could be 50 and still beat a top player, but his song would have to be trilled from the voice box of angels, and do that 3 times in a row.

This year will be the worst draw for any of the top 4, with one of them out of the normal seeding mix could throw a spanner in the works and give A.N.Other a sneak in. Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer are the kinds of player that could give a nasty shock and we might have an outsider in the final.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:57 by Guest

I predicted Djokovic to win, but after watching Halle I changed my prediction to Federer.

I think some people thought that was a wind-up, and I know Bogbrush started complaining.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 21:58 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:I have to agree with CC about Federer, if he can put himself in overdrive, and coast through the 1st week, he may have a chance. When he's on song, he could be 50 and still beat a top player, but his song would have to be trilled from the voice box of angels, and do that 3 times in a row.

This year will be the worst draw for any of the top 4, with one of them out of the normal seeding mix could throw a spanner in the works and give A.N.Other a sneak in. Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer are the kinds of player that could give a nasty shock and we might have an outsider in the final.
Ferrer on grass I'm not so sure, Berdych and Tsonga I'd say have a chance of getting to the final.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 22:02 by Jubbahey

Amrit, you should have been told why or at least warned you were going to get one. When I was a mod there, a warning went out, then another with a last strike and out message.

Have you tried logging in, there is usually a little sentence below the message "you have been banned" explaining the reason.

Mine said...
Information
You have been banned from this forum.
For the reason : Requested it

LOL....it was true actually, they were taking so long to delete me, I said please delete my account or do you want me to do something to make you ban me ? but hey that was over a year now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 22:07 by Guest

It doesn't say anything below. ninja

Anyway, I contacted the admin from external sources (I know one of them on another forum) and now it's been permanently deleted.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 22:11 by Guest

From a Murray fan point of view it would be ideal if Rafael Nadal drew either Federer or Djokovic in the quarters. If Andy draws Rafa then we will find out how much Andy has really improved under Lendl - if its a similar-type defeat for Andy it is a big blow but if he makes a big fight of it or wins then what a boost that would be and I'd be super-confident he could win the title. In short - the big danger man for Andy is Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 22:14 by Guest

Just checked the Memberslist there and don't see Red on it so am presuming it has been deleted.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 18 Jun 2013 - 18:52 by Jubbahey

I kinda agree with that CC, Rafa is prob the big danger card of the three. Djokovic is a little unsteady and could wilt against Murray, but he's not the choker he used to be, out of the 3, Novak is less volatile than Federer atm.

Nadal's match fitness and depth will be questioned and if he passes the test, he will be difficult to beat.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 18 Jun 2013 - 18:53 by Jubbahey

Did you find out from that admin why you were banned Amrit ?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum