WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Official Website    http://www.wimbledon.org

Could this be the year Murray finally bags the big one ? Are all the top 4 players going to meet in the semi's ? or is someone going to upset the applecart ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013 :: Comments

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:28 by Jubbahey

Well Amrit, I'm going for Murray in 5, based purely on the Olympic win and how close Potro pushed him, his serving wasn't as strong as Andy's today.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:29 by Guest

The thing is though Amrit I reckon Djokovic's game matches up well for Andy - it is always a tight match and stats ?(win percentages) show Andy is a better grass court player than Novak. However, this Wimbledon Novak has been the more consistent. Time will tell but I'd be gobsmacked if somebody runs away with the match.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:30 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Well Amrit, I'm going for Murray in 5, based purely on the Olympic win and how close Potro pushed him, his serving wasn't as strong as Andy's today.
Djokovic hit 22 aces I think, IIRC that's probably the most aces Djokovic has ever hit in a match.
Murray has to seriously improve his level if he wants to keep this competitive. Djokovic is superhuman. Today's match will only boost him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:36 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:The thing is though Amrit I reckon Djokovic's game matches up well for Andy -
Have to disagree with you there CC, in my eyes a big server who can't move well (ie Del Potro) is a much better match-up for Murray than Djokovic. These two tend to neutralise each other, and when at their best you just have to fancy Nole as his game has less weaknesses.

CaledonianCraig wrote:it is always a tight match and stats ?(win percentages) show Andy is a better grass court player than Novak.
These stats don't really count for much.

CaledonianCraig wrote:However, this Wimbledon Novak has been the more consistent.

Yes, his level has also been very very high.

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Time will tell but I'd be gobsmacked if somebody runs away with the match.
I would love it if Murray won, don't get me wrong, but I don't see this going to 5 sets. Maybe my analysis is wrong, we will see on Sunday anyway. I think Djokovic will win in 3-4 tight sets.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:39 by Guest

Amritia3ee wrote:
Jubbahey wrote:Well Amrit, I'm going for Murray in 5, based purely on the Olympic win and how close Potro pushed him, his serving wasn't as strong as Andy's today.
Djokovic hit 22 aces I think, IIRC that's probably the most aces Djokovic has ever hit in a match.
Murray has to seriously improve his level if he wants to keep this competitive. Djokovic is superhuman. Today's match will only boost him.

Lol

Andy hit only twenty tonight.

Take Andy to win in 5 on Sunday - Novak may still be tired after today's match with Delpo (hopefully)!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:44 by Guest

BOO wrote:

Andy hit only twenty tonight.
Del Potro is a considerably better returner than Janowicz, despite their similar size.

BOO wrote:
Take Andy to win in 5 on Sunday
I would love that Smile Cool 

BOO wrote:
- Novak may still be tired after today's match with Delpo (hopefully)!!
Very very very very very unlikely. Djokovic will be as fresh as a daisy, this is Djokovic we are talking about. If not anything playing a long 5 setter probably warms him up for the final.
Murray will also be fresh for the final though.

Djokovic fans have no excuse if Murray picks up the trophy,

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 22:55 by Guest

I agree with you there Amrit. Djokovic will be physically fine for Sunday. In any case Andy has had two longish matches back-to-back so that kind of negates things.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 1:23 by Jubbahey

I feel in me bones that Andy has more intensity and more hunger for the title than Novak, the only thing that scares me is Djoko's ability to just go and go. His retrieval skills are awesome and his serving can hit quite a few purple patches.

For Murray, he is fitter this year and can last as long as Novak, can run as far and retrieve almost as good. His serving has improved match by match and looks very confident with a good deal of consistency.

The only things I favour Andy with are return of serve and around the net, he has better skills in that dept. I'd have Murray in front if he was at the net or shaping up for a pass if Djoko's is at the net.

Rallies I would put in Djoko's half, he's very good at keeping a point going and can prob outlast Murray most of the time. Drop shots I'd have as even and lobs I'd have Murray in front there.

All in all, for a slam final on grass, Murray for me nudges Novak off, its not much, but in the scheme of things you have to figure the crowd in as a 5% advantage as well.

But we all know and have seen Novaks tendency to suddenly turn on the power, the running and sliding return that goes deep to the line in a last gasp, Hail Mary shot that wizzes past you, nods at you on the way through and gives a little laugh as it hits the chalk. Its one of his weapons that he can do almost at will when he's about to mount an attack, its up to Murray to chase them down and put them out to graze.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 9:09 by Guest

I was in two minds and still think it is too close to call but there is a lot going for Andy here. In my eyes he is the better grass court player, hunger must be burning bright, he should be in an aggressive mindset flowing two matches where he has had to come from behind and he knows how much it will hurt him if he loses. Also I am pretty sure Novak is not as adept on grass and although Del Potro was immense yesterday I still feel he is not an out and out grass court player yet still took Novak to the brink. I am now edging towards a Murray win in four or five sets.

I just hope it is a cracker but no doubt 606v2 won't see it as such as the majority are fans of rival players.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 13:57 by Guest

606v2 - Does anybody really care what toilet man and his followers think!

Andy in five but possibly four - Go Andy

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 21:19 by Guest

How's everyone's nerves this evening? I feel pretty relaxed but no doubt that will change around lunchtime tomorrow. If Murray can serve to the same standard as yesterday he stands a great chance. Another key is that he must be the aggressor and get his big shots in first rather than wait and allow Djokovic to take control. Fingers crossed for Andy and tomorrow could be a most memorable day.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 0:32 by Jubbahey

I totally agree, its the Murray serve that must stand the test.

Its been getting better and better as the tournament has progressed, so lets hope it will peak tomorrow. Couple that with his return of serve and he stands a good chance of doing it in.............................maybe even .......................unbelievable but.........................possibly.................... 3 sets.

In fact the more I think about it the more attractive that figure becomes, if he does serve as well as he has done, esp against Jerky, then Djokovic could implode if he can't threaten with his own service game.

Will come down to that alone, service stats ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 0:34 by Jubbahey

For reasons of nostalgia and wanting a place to hold the Wimbledon Final comments in one place, I'm going to set up a blog article HERE. So if you don't mind commenting on there tomorrow, that'd great, thanks.

Jubba

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 8:24 by Guest

Great Jubba I will keep my eye out for it but probably will be totally tuned in to the TV throughout the match.

Serve stats always seem to be key when this pair meet up. When you think about it it is no surprise. Murray and Djokovic are probably the best returners of serve in the world at the moment so each need to maximise the effectiveness of their serve as whoever breaks serve the most will win.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 17:50 by Guest

History is made. Andy Murray becomes the first British man to win the men's singles since Fred Perry 77 years ago. He endured the heat and the battling world No.1 Djokovic to win in three sets in over three hours. He was the better player in nearly all departments and becomes a two times slam winner and Olympic Champion in the space of a year and I get the feeling he isn't finished yet. A great day for British sport and perhaps the biggest achievement by a Scotsman in any sport. So proud of him. Congratulations Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 18:19 by Guest

BOOM

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 8:03 by Guest

1st place 1st place 
 Greetings old friends, all of our hopes and dreams for Andy to become Wimbledon Champion come true. Not ashamed to admit I cried a little, then cried some more. Sporting history by a sporting legend. Best day in sport for a very long time. I shall be in the clouds on a high for quite a while yet. Saviour this moment it is pure gold .

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 11:06 by Guest

Great final - great result - very happy for Andy and I am sure he will go on and win more slams for sure.

It's interesting to read some of the comments on other forums from people who don't support our man and I think some of it is tinged with some jealousy because Roger is on his way out and Rafa???

It may also be hard to accept that there is no male English player competing on a regular basis on the tour for them to cheer on, which is rather sad but life goes on.

I won't be posting on other forums (except this one) because it irritates me reading some of the stupid comments posted by the "negs/wums/trolls" but for Andy and his supporters onwards and upwards sundance

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 11:06 by Guest

Seems to have posted twice but never mind:teehee:

Last edited by BOO on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 11:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posted twice!)

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 11:41 by Guest

Cheers MTS1. Nice to hear from you. Groupies 

Johnnie Mac is now tipping Andy to win at least six slams in his career which I think is a realistic target. He has two now and he must stand a great chance of winning one more or perhaps two more Wimbledons if he stays fit. The US Open he could win maybe another one or two of them and Andy has always done at the Australian Open so I could see him winning that one day. I can never see him winning the French Open though.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 14:57 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:I totally agree, its the Murray serve that must stand the test.

Its been getting better and better as the tournament has progressed, so lets hope it will peak tomorrow. Couple that with his return of serve and he stands a good chance of doing it in.............................maybe even .......................unbelievable but.........................possibly.................... 3 sets.

In fact the more I think about it the more attractive that figure becomes, if he does serve as well as he has done, esp against Jerky, then Djokovic could implode if he can't threaten with his own service game.

Will come down to that alone, service stats ?

Mystic Meg!

Before the match I didn't see Andy doing it in 3 straight sets. Well done Jubba on your prediction.

Congratulations to Andy. 1st place  Scotlandfree Uk forever

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 16:06 by Guest

Uk forever

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 16:06 by Guest

I predicted 3 sets too, just got the wrong name by accident :whistle:

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 20:31 by Jubbahey

I was a little nervous in that last game, but still managed to be optimistic, just a tad, but my heart was thumping away for ages afterwards.

I can't remember a time watching sport when I was so elated, but at the same time very contented that he's done the big doubters in and secured the cream of the crop, the Wimbly Crown, what an amazing feat, but to do it in 3 sets, yes, even tough I predicted that, I was gobsmacked how he went about dissassembling Novak's serve and all round game, he played far above my expectations and it was the most courageous display of nerve I have seen from him.

A day to remember for sure, it won't go down as the best, most skillful final at SW19, but it will all the more memorable for its content and drama and elation.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 8 Jul 2013 - 21:09 by Jubbahey

Jez Green eats dirt ........ha ha, Lendl will def be smiling.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152374931935618&set=vb.16814976965&type=3&theater

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum