WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013

Official Website    http://www.wimbledon.org

Could this be the year Murray finally bags the big one ? Are all the top 4 players going to meet in the semi's ? or is someone going to upset the applecart ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

WIMBLEDON 25 June - 8 July 2013 :: Comments

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 10:04 by Guest

Well after Rafa's shock defeat yesterday where does that leave us from a Murray fans' perspective?

Obviously, Rafa was a big danger in my eyes but his defeat does ensure a potentially easier passage through to the semis for Roger Federer and I don't think that helps Andy.It still means that Andy's final should be the semi but now against Roger. Purely, going on his legendary grass court prowess you'd make Roger the favourite. I know it is massive supposition just now but I'd say the winner of that semi would be a warm to hot favourite for a potential final against Djokovic.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 16:32 by Guest

Djokovic through in straight sets against Florian Mayer winning 6-3 7-5 6-4. Mayer was a tough draw considering he is handy on grass and ranked just outside the top 32. Novak was efficient but one or two elements of his game were not at their best. A bit like Murray yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 16:44 by Guest

Well done to Laura Robson on beating No.10 seed Maria Kirilenko in straight sets. Very Happy If she can keep this quality of play up then she could make it through to the second week.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 18:12 by Guest

Andy Murray second on No.1 Court tomorrow against Lu. Expected to start around 3.30 pm.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 18:39 by Jubbahey

Thanks CC.

Yes, Robson played a solid game, her service still a tad shaky, but better than usual actually.

Just getting to the semi will be hard work, there are a lot of guys who see the top 4 as targets now and are not afraid to put in a courageous performance.

Lu will be a tentative meeting tomorrow for Murray (old Beijing wounds) if he starts strong though I think its going to be straight sets for him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 18:51 by Guest

I can't see Lu having the weapons or the fitness to trouble Andy. Remember that Lu was involved in a long match with James Ward that lasted over three hours on Monday. I would be surprised and a tad disappointed if Andy doesn't win in straight sets.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 17:21 by Guest

Murray in total control against Lu without really impressing. He leads 6-3 6-4 1-0 and only a massive switch off from Andy will prevent a win here. Would like him to really turn it on now though and win this set more comprehensively.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 18:10 by Guest

Murray through in straight sets. Not bad but would like to see him stamp his authority much more. Next up is No.32 seed Tommy Robredo on Friday in the Third Round.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 18:17 by Guest

Boy has the draw opened up for Andy. Tsonga retired injured against Ernest Gulbis when training 2-1 in sets. So a danger has gone.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 19:22 by Jubbahey

Yep, falling over like 9 pins, although Azerenka's excuse is pathetic, saw the reply and its totally her fault, tried to upright herself when she should have stayed down, did the splits and presto. She's played here before under worse conditions and didn't moan, so why now ? selective memory prob.

Murrays match was pretty good, a few silly missed chances to end it quickly, but Lu played Russian roulette tennis in the last set, I suppose he had nothing to lose in the end. But overall a good display and an improving one as he marches on.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 19:27 by Guest

Fed in BIG trouble on Centre Court. He trails Serghy Stakhovsky by two sets to one. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 20:24 by Guest

Remarkable day at Wimbledon - perhaps the most remarkable in Wimbledon's history.

Injuries galore with many withdrawing and the bottom part of the draw is blown apart. Roger Federer has been beaten in four sets by Serghiy Stakhovsky (world No.114) to end Federer's immense run of 36 slams in succession where he has reached the QF's. Incredible. Stakhovsky played superb and deserved the win. 

Wow has the draw just opened up for Andy Murray or what?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 21:56 by Guest

Oh deary me. Rolling Eyes

What a pathetic bunch on 606v2 tonight. Two regulars saying they'll quit watching tennis if we move into a Murray/Djokovic dominant era. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 22:13 by Jubbahey

Well CC I went and did it, a "Why did Federer lose" thread.

I think they deserve it if only for the irony. I haven't been nasty but either they wont bite or it'll be a feeding frenzy LOL

Federer's defeat certainly full stops a most intriguing day at SW19, a very barmy, hot and humid one that I dont think anyone will forget, but for so many different reasons.

The whole event has opened up, but for everyone still taking part, its as if the gods deemed the semi's the place to be reckoned with at the cost of R1 and R2.

It puts in place the frailty of the top 4, well the old top 4 with Ferrer at No3 now, but the speed at which both Nadal and Roger succumbed has been spectacular. I know i said they were both in danger of going out in the 1st week, but this early was not on my mind at all.

Still, in the long run, it may end up being better to have been put down quickly rather than to extend the life and continue the pain.

If Roger retires now, I will have succeeded in predicting a trinity of events, I'd better stop doing this for sure or at least dont predict Andys matches, ever !

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 22:17 by Guest

Definitely we are now moving into a new era. The Fed/Nadal era is diminishing quickly. Hopefully, Andy can keep his head, stay focussed and be aggressive and he should avoid upsets if he plays to a standard we know he can. A danger now is he gets to a potential final under-cooked.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 22:21 by Guest

Off down to London for a few days tonight until Tuesday so not sure how much tennis I will see in the next few days. No Nails Left Have fun everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 22:26 by Jubbahey

You can get an android app for BBC sport and they show all the live matches on there. Eats the batteries though !

See you later CC.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 0:06 by Guest

Cheers Jubba. Will download that. Will also try to catch some matches in the hotel room but it will be hard as I am down for an event I organise. Keep the Murray flag flying whilst I am away.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 8:35 by Guest

Just recovering from Rogers defeat to the Worlds No 100 + lol

Do some of his fans think he can keep on winning forever, somehow it won't happen!

As for Rafa he was outplayed by an inspired player,who has had his moment of fame, as for Rafa I would very much doubt if that is a career end for him unless the knee was the problem which throws a different light on it.

Most people now seem to think that it is Andys title for the taking, but there is still a long way to go with a probable Novak waiting for him if he does make it.

However I am quietly optimistic that he will never get a better chance to achieve it, so Andy get that second slam now and no messing about.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 22:24 by Jubbahey

Old Roger the codger.

It was a sad day for both Rafa and Federer, its not good to see them go like that, but its happened to the best of them before.

Borg US open 1997 4th round.
McEnroe US Open 1983 4th round.
(In fact went on to compete in slams for 8 yrs after his last win, and out of 24 events, one final, one semi, 5 QF's, 4 4thR, and 10 1stR or 2ndR. All mixed up with 8 non events)

But I wonder if Federer or Nadal want to extent their careers for 8 yrs, although McEnroe was 25 when he last won a slam !!!

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 28 Jun 2013 - 20:38 by Jubbahey

That was probably the best match of tennis I've seen Murray play.

Robredo was no mug, but he made him look pretty average out there. A late mini comeback at the start of the 3rd set, Robredo starting playing some decent good tennis, and kept his serve until the penultimate game and Murray served it out and the match.

Andy was hitting winners from all over the place, lines and Robredo vanished off into the distance, the 1st 2 sets went by in a flash with Tommy having no answers for Murrays return of service (some of the best I've seen).

A brief lapse of concentration, two good shots from Robredo and Murray was broken in the 2nd set, but he broke right back and continued the fantastic vein of aggressive shot-making for the rest of the match.

Very impressed with his attitude and composure for 100% of the match, no over the top grimaces and berating, just cooled and got on with every point.

Another straight sets victory for our man who's in impressive form right now.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Jun 2013 - 16:21 by Jubbahey

Robson V Erakovic

After what can only be described as a nervous 1st set by Robson and an inspired one by Erakovic, Laura went down 1-6. The 2nd set didn't start well either with the NZ'er serving impeccably, and Laura not, it went to 5-3 with Erakovic serving for the match and suddenly, Robson turned the screw and Marina wobbled. More pressure from Laura produced the break back and served to level the match. Another break of serve only cemented Robsons comeback and she served out the set 7-5.

What happened in the 3rd set was a see-saw exchange, but with Robson mostly on top of Marina's serve, which was telling. In a stark difference to her 1st set, Erakovic's accuracy began to meander and Robson cashed in with two breaks and went up 5-3. After a little stomach wrenching couple of opening points, Laura eventually placed a return of serve DTL to seal the win.

She was understandably happy to say the least, it was a remarkable comeback after staring defeat down both barrels of Erakovic's stellar service. Now she is through to the 4th round and second week for the 1st time and a long 15 yrs since we had both a male and female player through.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 30 Jun 2013 - 11:57 by Guest

Jubbahey wrote:Very impressed with his attitude and composure for 100% of the match, no over the top grimaces and berating, just cooled and got on with every point.

I noticed that too, Jubba. It was very pleasing.

And great to see Laura doing so well.

Tho' I must confess I've not taken much notice of her until the Olympics and this Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 21:58 by Jubbahey

Oh Well, Laura's journey ended today at the hands of Kanepi.

Robson played in and out of contention and was obviously a wrack of nerves.

Serving for the 1st set, she handed 2 DF's over and tamely gave the game away and the set after again going a mini break up in the TB.

Never really got going once she had established the momentum and breaks of serve. Its sad because we all saw she could have done much better, but Kanepi played a solid, consistent tennis match and her service games were solid too. She didnt do anything spectacular to beat Laura, its just Laura didnt do anything to upset her opponent in the manner she is capable of.

Still, the good news is that Murray is through. Tentative 1st set, in which Murray got the break late on and consolidated it to serve it out, started badly in the second.

Lost 2 service games and was 5-2 down when he almost swatted Youzhny's serving for the set aside with some brilliant rallies. Levelling at 6-6, Murray was beginning the ascendancy and even though he fell 2-4 in the tie break, he clawed back the deficits and forged ahead to take the 2nd set.

By now, Murray was starting to enjoy the proceeds and raced to a 4-1 lead, another break of serve confirmed his mood and after a couple of wayward shots, served out the 3rd set in style to win 6-4, 7-6, 6-1.

Youzhny played some good tennis too, but having to go so wide to beat the quick Murray and go for the corners only paid dividends 30% of the time, the rest they went out. He only served one ace the whole match I think, but Murray served about 15, so thats a pretty good record of serve returning for Andy against such a strong server like Mikhail.

Into the quarters now and will face a revenge match against Verdasco who put him out of the 2009 Aussie Open 4th round when Andy was ill, in fact that was the slam I thought Andy was going to win, so the quicker he puts the Spaniard down the better.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 22:26 by Guest

Probably not the best match in this tournament by Andy but some credit to the Russian, and at the end of the day he still hasn't lost a set!

I'm glad to see Verdasco has found some form but I can't see Andy losing this one and probably not losing a set in doing it.

The round after that could possibly be his toughest test if Janowicz gets past the other Pole, but still a probable win for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum