"Team" ???? what does it mean ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Team" ???? what does it mean ?

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 20:11

So...F1 constructor Red Bull have decided to drop or at least minimise Team Orders in the light of Vettels disobedience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22109935

They now see both drivers as rivals, that just happen to sit in the same manufacturers car.

So I presume the term Team Mates now means something radically different...
Team Enemies ?
Team Rivals ?
Team Punch bags ?

Gone is the idea that a driver is employed by a Manufacturer to drive for them and win the Constructors Championship which more or less gives them the Drivers title as well by deem of points won if crossing the line first or down to reliable and consistent podium finishes AKA the Lewis Hamilton way, and in comes the "I'm more important than the team and my boss who pays me" rule that gives Vettel complete peace of mind to do as he wishes.

IMMHO....that stinks.

If a driver was paid by the event in prize money, then I could imagine an instance like this, where its every driver for himself, but the idea of having two drivers in a team, paid for by the boss of the car manufacturer, with the sole purpose of winning not just the drivers championship but the constructors too, goes back to the days when a car like Ford etc were driven in a race to advertise the car and its capabilities. The driver was a second thought as to who won, the cars speed and durability was the focal point.

Driver championships came later as a by product of teams paying good drivers to drive for them and win races to further brag about a cars prestige, this also gave drivers, much like tennis players today, more muscle to get better pay as they became better drivers. And in the end we have the situation as it now stands, with the Drivers Championship slightly more important than the constructors.

But they are still part of a team, paid for by the owners and always encouraged to do a good job of promoting the firms image and success.

If a team member does not obey team orders, then that is detrimental to the firms image, and ultimately will hurt their prestige. Already there is media discomfort in the latest message from Red Bulls principal (its all there in the title) that they/he is going to reduce team orders, but the plan to run both drivers as rivals will promote even more tension and on-track rivalry which could at the end of the season come back to bite them if cars collide or there are a few race incidents involving their own drivers.

And Christian Horner still thinks his authority has not been undermined....courageous thoughts indeed.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: "Team" ???? what does it mean ?

Post by Guest on Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 16:59

Jubba lets be honest here Christian Horner may be Team Principle of Red Bull but we now know who runs the team......Sebastien Vettel. If that weren't the case then Vettel would have been offered some sort of punishment for disobeying team orders which he wasn't. He does as he pleases without recrimination which is pretty pathetic when you consider that Webber has played the team game before. Whatever respect I had left for Vettel disappeared with that under-handed trick.

For what its worth that statement that they have dropped team orders is a pitiful attempt to try to make out that they weren't keen on team orders and so not too fussed about Vettel breaking them in an attempt to pander to Vettel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:31

I wonder CC, if Helmut Marko were not at the helm, would Vettel fancy his chances so much or even be at Red Bull ?

Another German compatriot....."Mateschitz has agreed with principal Christian Horner that Red Bull will change how they use the orders" even though he is against team orders in principal, seems to indicate that all Horner is, in reality, is a monkey dressed up in a suit and made to dance to his superiors tune, which is, let Vettel do as Vettel pleases.

How this affects the "team" in the next few races will be interesting and I'm sure any friction that puts Red Bulls race strategies in jeopardy will be lapped up by the other competitors.

Mercedes, Lotus and Ferrari must be licking their lips in anticipation.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 20:02

Helmut Marko/Christian Horner/Dieter Mateschitz does it matter? Seb will have the ultimate say on the strength of his three world titles and he holds all the cards. They all simply have to pander to him to keep him at the team so give him a free rein. Terribly wrong but there you have it.

It made me laugh that Red Bull are keen on Kimi Raikonen. Sorry guys but he won't bend over backwards or be prepared to kiss Vettel's backside. I have no doubt Webber's replacement will be a driver with Torro Rosso connectionns such as Jean Eric Vergne, Daniel Riccardo, Jaime Alguesaire ir Sebastien Buemi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum