Why is Andy so bad on clay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why is Andy so bad on clay?

Murray is a fantastic player on grass and hard courts, but he's nearly always (apart from 2011) done terrible on clay.
His game is built around counter-punching, endurance, and working your opponent over- so it should be perfect on clay.

However he always looks clumsy on the surface, and doesn't seem to be able to move freely. Surely Lendl should have worked on that by now??

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Why is Andy so bad on clay? :: Comments

Post on Sun 5 May 2013 - 23:10 by Jubbahey

Why was Federer so bad on clay too ?

Lendl couldn't crack grass and Nadal was hopeless on Hard courts for much of his early career and down under for most of it, only winning once in Oz and once in the USO.

I think Murray may get shown up for his lack of or weakness at getting low balls back over the net, if they do get back they're almost floaters waiting to be thumped away. He has to play on or inside the B/L to play it his way, and this makes it difficult for him to time the ball back well enough. He gets out of rhythm and bang goes his game.

Once he finds the swing, tempo and timing, he's as good as anyone I'd say, but like he says, it takes him a couple of tournies to find that rhythm.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 5 May 2013 - 23:23 by Guest

Murray is 25 now, by that age Nadal and Federer were doing well on hard courts and clay respectively.

What surprises me is that Murray trained in Barcelona when he was younger so he should be well exposed to the surface, and his game is a solid one which should be successful on clay.

I think your make some fair points in terms of the technicalities, lets see how he plays in Madrid. He played well on the surface in 2011 but was poor in 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 6 May 2013 - 13:26 by Jubbahey

Don't forget, and its one thats easily overlooked, Murray was a late starter turning pro.

I think Nadal turned pro at age 16 (just turned I believe) and Federer at 17, Djokovic at 16 too.

Murray turned pro at age 18, so he's a good 1-2 yrs behind them in regards of age, but he hardly touched clay at the Sánchez-Casal Academy, even though Wiki states the reverse. He said that training on H/C was a coach and personal choice, although I presume he did do some stuff on clay, with all those facilities it would be stupid not to.

But we have to remember that Murray was destined to play well on H/C, which is the surface he grew up on before Spain.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 6 May 2013 - 16:42 by Guest

I don't think he is necessarily bad on clay just much more inconsistent. Remember he has reached the semis at Roland Garros and pushed Nadal to the brink at Monte Carlo a couple of years ago and you have to be handy on the surface to be able to do that.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 6 May 2013 - 17:01 by Guest

Fair enough, you both make good points. dogood

In 2011 he did well, in 2012 his season was not as good. Let's see how well he does this time, he has to improve from Monte Carlo.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 6 May 2013 - 17:14 by Guest

Wawrinka was always going to be a tough match-up for Andy at Monte Carlo. However, I was and still am disappointed how meekly Andy went down. He MUST do better in Madrid.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 6 May 2013 - 20:52 by Jubbahey

Yep, MC was a bad bad game.
From the little I saw of the match, he looked to have lead shoes and a wonky racquet.

Wawrinka has knocked out Ferrer, so he's on a bit of a roll, and that's lifted that Murray match a little bit higher above mediocre.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum