Rome Masters 2013

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rome Masters 2013

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 15 May 2013 - 16:34

May have tried running it out, which suggests a muscle injury and not tendon, but I'm speculating again, we'll to wait for any announcements.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 16:39

In any case it is certainly far from ideal build up for the French Open. The sooner this clay court season is over the better.

Odd as well that he was struck down with a back injury around this time last year as well.

PS Happy 26th birthday Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 16:50

In his post match interview, he confirmed it will be unlikely he plays RG.

Let's see if he's fit for Wimby, that should be his main aim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 17:07

Yes Amrit in his words he said he would be 'very surprised' if he is fit to play in the French Open. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 18:13

Going by more of Andy's post-match comments it seems this has been a long-term injury:-

"I need to make a plan as to what I do. I'll chat with the guys tonight and make a plan for the next few days then make a decision on Paris after the next five days.
"I want to make sure it goes away. It's been a problem since the end of 2011 but it got bad during last year's clay season."

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 15 May 2013 - 18:49

Oh dear that is bad news all round.

Looks to be a deep injury that is ongoing, so playing like he has for so long.....!!! its difficult to say what he has to do to get better now.

Not good, deeply pessimistic with even Wimbledon, which isnt that far away. Queens defence ?..doubtful too, unless it has become a "Living with it" injury, he may have to do a Nadal and take a few months off. Eeek.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 19:22

Well he never won Queen's last year so he won't be defending anything there.

I can't see him sitting out Wimbledon but definitely see him giving the French Open a miss. I would say it sounds like an intermittent but on-going injury. By this I mean if it has been around since late 2011 then he can't have had it all that time as he won the US Open and Olympics. It must come and go and it would seem that playing on clay aggravates it as it struck during the French Open last year remember?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 19:33

According to the BBC site Andy has been taking painkilling injections at various times - even prior to Wimbledon last year. Not sounding good this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 20:06

Murray may have to manage it like Nadal manages his knee, take painkillers before important events and from time to time take a few months off.

It doesn't sound as serious as that though. but let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 15 May 2013 - 20:41

You could be right CC.

Flaring up on his worst surface is prob close to the truth I reckon.

I've just joined 606V2....what am I thinking ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 20:55

What are you thinking? Or are you thinking? lol

On that BBC report it seems to support my theory that clay seems to aggravate it. Andy speaks of having to generate his own pace onto the ball more on clay (due to the slow nature of the surface) and if you watch Andy when he does this it is a sort of hooking action where he comes around and over the top of the ball and that must put extra strain on his back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 15 May 2013 - 21:02

Exactly my view CC, his action is tight and there is too much strain on the side when converting from ready to hit position. Not that I thought this without knowledge of his hip problem, but it ties in with my opinion that his action is wrong for him and makes sense in a rather worrying manner.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 15 May 2013 - 21:09

If he does have to generate more power, then as the transfer of weight/power from right to left swings through the hip, the hip has to be open before the strike or the shot is powerless, so in effect he has to swing wider to generate more power, making his hip turn more from closed to open (from preparation to execution) thus stretching the joint and aggravating the injury.

A vicious circle ensues.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 15 May 2013 - 21:14

Well it only surfaces (I think) on clay because the surface is so slow that he needs to exaggerate that action even more to generate extra pace. It would explain why the problem has been masked on quicker surfaces as he doesn't necessarily need to generate more pace so the back isn't put under any extra strain.

Now if I can play devil's advocate here - if I can read this as the problem then surely you may get players willing to play on this. By that I mean returning the ball to Andy with absolutely no pace on the ball forcing him to generate all the pace and so put more strain on his back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 16 May 2013 - 19:02

Shows why Berdych went to Andy's backhand all night long in Madrid.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Sun 19 May 2013 - 20:54

Nice drubbing by Nadal on Federer. Looks like Nadal is back to his best and the knees are holding up pretty well.

Of course, Fedfans are over the moon LOL, stating he's nearly retired......never plays well against Nadal on clay.......will always be the same result etc etc.

He's got to hang his racquet up after Wimbledon, not even a crew cut is going to lighten his load, all players who hit the ball with speed will give him a hard time now, I know its only the clay season atm, but I reckon age has suddenly caught up with him, and with 5 setters coming up soon, it ain't going to get any easier.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 21 May 2013 - 16:21

It is very odd Jubba. Only 24 hours earlier the same posters were enthusing over his form and how he was showing form of old etc etc etc and a day later and a heavy defeat and all of a sudden he is past it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 21 May 2013 - 18:59

Irrational behaviour, but I've come to expect that from some Fed fans.

I have to admit that (if the right player comes along) he plays some really good tennis, when he's allowed to open up his swing, and has time to get to the ball, it looks like Fed of old.

But against the other top 3/4 players, he can't repeat the way he played and beat them a couple of years ago. I still think he can go deep in the slams, he's always had the tenacity to do that, but if he succumbs in the early rounds in SW19, 4th or something like that, it'll be Sayonara people.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 21 May 2013 - 21:05

I think that is a clear indication that his absolute peak level has dropped that little bit. I'd still back him to beat anyone outside the top four I think (though not sure about Berdych, Tsonga and Del Potro) but wouldn't back him to beat Djokovic, Nadal or Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 21 May 2013 - 22:13

I agree, Berdych on H/C may not prove an easy match in America, best of 5 in a few months time, after the rigours of the tour up to then.

Does he really want to push himself that far?
Does he really believe he'll be in for a shout at the next Olympics?

I suppose it doesn't do any harm to talk like that, for him, but for his fans he's prolonging the agony.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 21 May 2013 - 22:20

The only slam I'd say he has a fair chance in is Wimbledon. He is a bit like in a place Murray was in whereas you cannot see him beating two of the top four players (which he would need to do) to now win a slam. The immense effort it would take for him to do that is just asking too much now - unless the big guns are knocked out earlier in the slam and he door opens for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 22 May 2013 - 23:00

Looks like his "fans" are quite prepared to prolong their agony out of what looks like sheer idolisation and can't wait to watch him be beaten by journeymen in case he performs snippets of brilliance now and again.

I call that greedy and self-centred, to want a player to push the limits of his career just so they can relive the moments for their own personal satisfaction.

As a Murray fan, I'd rather he bowed out in good time and not try to eke out an existence in the shadows of the new breed who've taken over, no sir, not me.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 May 2013 - 8:16

Well I have no problem if Roger Federer (the man) wants to carry on playing out of sheer love of the competition. It should be up to him and him alone when he retires. As for his fans well a section of them will always be how they are I am afraid. Almost bi-polar. From him being back to his best in a run through to a final and then when thrashed being well past his best all in the space of 24 hours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 23 May 2013 - 18:45

Fair enough CC, each to his own.

I wonder what goes through the mind of a player when they reach the summit of their career, for someone like Federer he must be thinking I'm good enough to carry on so why not.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 May 2013 - 23:01

Well for some as well it is too much of a wrench to give it all up I think. He only knows life as a tennis player so perhaps he is terrified of what a void there would be in his life without it. Now he was a semi-finalist in the Aussie Open, Quarter-finalist at the US Open and won Wimbledon so he probably still feels he is very competitive when it matters. If his form at slams goes downhill that may be the catalyst for him to call it a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum