Rogers Cup (Montreal Masters)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rogers Cup (Montreal Masters)

Post by Guest on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 22:54

The draw for the Rogers Cup in Montreal is out. It sees the return of the big guns to action - apart from Roger Federer who has withdrawn due to his on-going back injury.

The draw has dealt Murray the following possible path:-

1st Round - Bye

2nd Round - Granollers or Dimitrov

3rd Round - Lopez or Fognini

QF - Del Potro

SF - Ferrer or Berdych

Final - Djokovic or Nadal

Looking forward to this. Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rogers Cup (Montreal Masters)

Post by Guest on Sat 3 Aug 2013 - 14:34

R3 Lopez or Fognini might well be Gulbis or Baghdatis.  . .  

Not the easiest of draws but could be worse I suppose. Hopefully the new Andy with all the monkeys off his back will be able to play freely and come through regardless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 0:07

Andy has a great chance in Montreal, he has a decent draw and should have a lot of confidence after Wimby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 21:59

Interesting listening to a pre-tournament interview with Andy Murray earlier. He echoes the sentiment I feel saying he is focussing on winning slams not so much getting to world No.1. In any case if he wins slams then I am sure the No.1 slot will come to him eventually.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 22:26

Similar attitude to Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 22:28

Like I said before I'd sooner Andy retired with say 6+ slam wins and never reached No.1 than retiring with just two slam wins and reaching No.1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 22:40

Marcel Granollers has beaten Grigor Dimitrov in the First Round and he will play Andy Murray tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 19:10

A patchy performance from Andy but understandable considering he hasn't played for a month but wins against Marcel Granollers 6-4 7-6. In the Third Round tomorrow he will play the Latvian Ernests Gulbis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 20:33

Rafa looking pretty sharp today which is good to see. Moving very well as well so that is a plus as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 21:24

Rafa was moving well, Levine was very poor though- just to put the scoreline into perspective.

Murray was quite poor- but he'll improve as the tournament goes on I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 21:25

Or maybe Murray will play poorly and lose early in Montreal and Cincy, but then turn on his A-game for the US Open.

I remember when he was younger it was the other way around, he played really well in the Masters, but disappointed in the Slams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 21:31

Well in recent times it has changed with Andy. He is far more consistent at slams than Masters and the lesser tournaments. There is a clue of that when pre-tournament he said he placed more importance on more slam wins than getting to No.1 in the world.

I would say the court is playing very slow which is not ideal for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 20:18

Murray in a spot of bother against Gulbis having lost the first set 6-4. Rafa safely though beating Jerzy Janowicz 7-6 6-4.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 20:38

A bad day at the office today for Murray I am afraid. He trails 6-4 3-1 (a break down) and has had a time violation warning and he is not looking like a player in the kind of form to mount a comeback.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 20:43

And out of the blue Andy awakes and hits a great winner to get a break back. He now trails 6-4 3-2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 20:57

Murray gets broken again and Gulbis will serve for the match and his first win over Murray in six attempts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 21:04

Murray loses for the first time against Gulbis. The temperamental Latvian deserved that win playing at a consistently higher level than Andy. No need to panic though as we have seen Andy lose these type of matches then have a storming slam.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 21:36

Probably for the first time I'm not too disappointed with Andys loss!

Gulbis played well but Andys serving left a lot to be desired but I'm sure we will see an improvement come next week - fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 8 Aug 2013 - 21:44

The only thing that disappoints (apart from the defeat) is the thought that he won't get to No.1 with sub-standard Masters showings like this. It won't make a difference I believe when the US Open starts but surely Andy should expect better from himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 9 Aug 2013 - 0:01

On a brighter note for Andy Murray he and Colin Fleming have beaten the No.4 seeds Paes/Stepanek to reach the quarter-finals in the doubles where they look certain to meet the Andujar/Nadal team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 10:27

A big win for Rafa Nadal in three sets in the semi-final against Novak Djokovic. It gives him renewed impetus after a shocking Wimbledon and sets him up for a real challenge at the US Open. Novak though continues to lack that steely element of his game that was so evident in 2011 and 2012.

Meanwhile, Colin Fleming and Andy Murray are through to the doubles final in Montreal but Murray had treatment on a back injury on court in his semi. No Nails Left

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 19:31

Fleming and Murray lost in two tight sets to Peyes and Soares (the No.3 seeds) in the doubles final.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum