Andy Murray to undergo surgery on his back.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Andy Murray to undergo surgery on his back.

Andy Murray is to go under the scalpel to try and erase his back injury.

In a rather last ditch effort to ease his pains, an operation to permanently solve his ongoing back problems is going to put him out of competition for at least a few months.

I'm not hopeful of a return to normality until the AO is out of the way, as historically, back operations are niggly in their effort to impede an athlete's return to full fitness. Convelescence is a series of stages whereby strain on the lower back tendons ans surrounding muscles must be carefully managed or other injuries can arise if a player tries to get back into the mainstream tour too quickly and never achieve full fitness as a consequence.

I'm sure this has been looked at and scrutinised completely to ensure Andy gets the whole benefit of this decision to give him a better chance of being an all round player and a better lookin on the clay events without his inherent aversion to it concerning his back.

But is this really going to solve it, when most pundits agree he has a problem with clay because of his movement on it ?

It also seems like the Davis Cup is a poisoned cup, as this is the second time his decision to play through an injury is going to cost him dearly. Will he ever be given the credit for putting his country before his body, ever ?

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Andy Murray to undergo surgery on his back. :: Comments

Post on Fri 20 Sep 2013 - 8:21 by Guest

I think, to be honest, it is a necessary move. He has a problem with his back and it needs sorted but ,like you Jubba, I have my doubts that surgery will solve the problem but he must try. In any case it works in two ways as it also allows Andy to take a few months out to recharge his batteries so to speak. Many felt his abject loss in the US Open was down to burn out (I am not so sure) but at least if it was this will rectify it. I hope it works for him and he comes back galvanised and hungry - much like Rafa this year.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 20 Sep 2013 - 19:18 by Jubbahey

Well CC, since physiotherapy doesn't seemed to have worked, then I suppose surgery is the next option, and probably only option. I'm only worried that he comes back too quick.

But as you say, a short but prolonged term of rest and soul searching may well have a Rafa knockon affect, and I'm all for it, burn out may well have contributed to his latest form as well as the niggley injury, and painkillers don't kill pain per se, just dull it slightly.

I'm with you in as much that a brief hiatus could renew his hunger and take a bit of sting out of his recent losses. It could be a silver lining in the dark clouds ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 21 Sep 2013 - 0:29 by Guest

Well hopefully it works out for him but if not then it isn't going to take away his amazing achievements that has placed him amongst the greatest British tennis players ever to play the sport. My thought is that the injury cannot be too serious or else he would not have played the Davis Cup tie. It was much reported his back was playing up in the tie and I'd say this was the catalyst for his decision as once again the problem surfaced on clay. Andy and his team probably realise the problem (especially on clay) isn't going to go away unless he has this surgery. 

I would say this goes a long way to explain Andy's weakness on clay. We know he has a game that should suit clay yet it is his weakest surface. Well if this back issue has always been bubbling away under the surface on clay that must knock his confidence of doing himself justice on the surface so mentally he starts each match at a disadvantage. Hopefully, this surgery will correct this and improve his clay form greatly as well.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 21 Sep 2013 - 9:39 by Jubbahey

I remember him making Niemenem look decidedly average last year on clay even with his worst case of back ache, and he did well on the red stuff in 2012 at th FO, so he has the game and the ability to go deep, but a combination of awkward movement,  a prolapsed disc and unsure footing is not going to do his confidence any good and must frustrate him madly when his shots go awry, but he has the skills to compensate as we saw recently in the DC.

If he can get back into normal training in Miami as usual, then the AO might not be as bad as I originally thought, if he misses the WTF,s as stated, it may give him the break that most top pros dream of before the start of a new season.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 24 Sep 2013 - 11:04 by Guest

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 24 Sep 2013 - 11:05 by Guest

He is mentioned as taking part in the Abu Dhabi exho at the end of December. Nice warm up?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 23:55 by Guest

Best of luck to Andy for his recovery, as a Nadal fan I really look forward to their match up.

It's a shame both Rafa and Andy have had injury problems which mean we haven't been able to see much of it recently.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 14:18 by Jubbahey

Thanks for the picture Dec, I see that they have surreptitiously hidden the playstation from view, so he could play games and tweet from the hospital bed.

I presume the sushi was of good quality too ?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum