Australian Open 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Open 2014

The first slam of 2014 is almost upon us and the draw has been made.

For me Andy's draw is irrelevant given his match fitness/sharpness after so long out. This tournament has come about a month or two too song.

Anyway Soeda (world No.112) is his First Round opponent and in the Second Round a qualifier awaits. Should Andy reach the quarters he will face Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal in the semis and Djokovic in the Final (well we can dream).

Being realistic here I'd be happy if Andy reaches the quarters so he looks certain to lose loads of points and drop out of the top four. Post-Australian Open the hard work really begins.

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Australian Open 2014 :: Comments

Post on Tue 14 Jan 2014 - 9:22 by Guest

Andy Murray looked in excellent nick in dispatching Go Soeda in straight sets 6-1 6-1 6-3 in 1 hour 27 minutes. The serve was quite superb and aggression and concentration levels good. Next up is a qualifier from France who had a five set marathon today so Andy could not have wished for more from today.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 14 Jan 2014 - 9:28 by Guest

Good, he needs a couple of matches at least to get back to form.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 14 Jan 2014 - 14:53 by Guest

His first big test looks like being Deliciano Lopez in the 3rd Round. My worry is he will go into that match untested and unstressed and so under-cooked (pardon the pun).

In any case it is just good to see Andy back. I cannot see him being in a position to challenge here in Australia so no real pressure on.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 15:14 by Guest

Andy Murray has got lucky. He has been scheduled to play late in the evening on Rod Laver Arena tomorrow on a day with temperatures in the 40's forecast for earlier in the day.

He will take to court around 9.30am (UK time) to play French qualifier Vincent Milliot.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 15:40 by Guest

And having re-organised my day, I should be able to watch most of it and justify having taken out a sub to Eurosport Player Smile

(The 30 seconds they showed of Andy's first match didn't justify it!)

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 18:08 by Guest

Won't it also be shown on BBC on the red button though Decreptitude? ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 22:35 by Guest

It used to be: but this year I can't find that the Beeb are showing anything but one men's semi and both finals. Mean devils. Now I can only watch on livestream - and I can't record that.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 8:49 by Guest

Ah right I see. Murray's match should be starting at around 10.30am I would guess.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 15:06 by Guest

I don't know what to make of that performance. Okay he won in straight sets 6-2 6-2 7-5 but he  failed to impress. His first serve took ages to get going, too many unforced errors and poor shot choice at times.

My explanation is that he broke early and was coasting then seemed to tweak his back. This saw him go into his shell and he wanted to play very conservatively and he got very flat and lethargic. It wasn't until he trailed 5-1 the third set and Millot began to encourage the crowd to cheer louder for him that this seemed to rile Murray. He began hitting the ball with purpose and looked much better for it reeling off six games on the bounce to win.

Next up Deliciano Lopez on Saturday in the Third Round. Hopefully, Murray can return to the form he showed against Soeda - he will need to.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 19:46 by Guest

That was the way I saw it, too.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 22:00 by Guest

I only hope it was paranoia on Andy's behalf with regards his back. Hopefully, it was a twinge not related to his old injury as if it was that surfacing again it will be a big step backwards for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 17 Jan 2014 - 8:16 by Guest

Andy Murray on Hisense Arena tomorrow against Deliciano Lopez. The match will not start until after 3.30am (UK Time).

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 17 Jan 2014 - 10:33 by Guest

No way I can watch that, my time is no longer my own. I'll have to hope I can catch a replay on Eurosport Player. It will probably be better for my nerves anyway - I'm not sure he is enough back to normal to beat Feli if the latter is in good form.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 2:53 by Guest

If he plays like he did against Soeda he will be fine. If he plays like he did against Millot he will lose.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 8:49 by Guest

An improving sort of performance by Andy in beating Lopez 7-6 6-4 6-2. He started off looking stiff and tentative with lots of errors but gradually wound it up playing a great tie-break. He then settled and really had Lopez on a string moving him around and ended up demoralising him. Next up Stephane Robert - the first ever lucky loser to then reach the 4th Round of a slam.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 11:53 by Guest

Robert used to be the scourge of the Brits back when he was playing Futures - he had winning streaks against GB players of 15 matches then 16, separated only by a loss to Boggo. I doubt very much if he can trouble Andy to any great extent though. He hasn't done any giant-killing up to now, just come through a very easy section of the draw.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 19 Jan 2014 - 4:42 by Guest

Andy Murray will be on Hisense Arena again tomorrow to play Stephane Robert. The match will not start before 5.50am (UK Time). It means I will miss this one as have an early start at work. Still it really should be a comfortable win for Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 13:07 by Guest

Murray wins in four sets (I never saw it) but it looks like another patchy display and should have been done and dusted in three sets. A mercurial Roger Federer beat Tsonga in straight sets and I reckon on that form V Andy's patchy form then Federer wins every time. I hope I am wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 19:21 by Guest

I was able to watch most of the match when Eurosport did a re-run after the live play finished.

My personal opinion was that in that third set Andy looked tired and jaded. Robert did play very well in the third - the shots that had been missing the lines started to hit them - but Andy's level definitely dropped, which is worrying. Presumably all part of not being match fit. The loss of the set seemed to galvanise him and he finished it off in style.

He won't be able to get away with a drop in level like that against Federer, though. However, I do think the challenge of playing Fed may give him a rush of adrenalin. I hope so, anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 21 Jan 2014 - 4:06 by Guest

Andy Murray match scheduled to start around 8.30am (UK Time) on Rod Laver Arena. Getting to the quarters after just returning from back surgery a least is a commendable performance and I wouldn't be too concerned with a loss. Hopefully, Andy performs to a high and consistent standard and then who knows. Roger has looked excellent so far so it is certain that a patchy Murray display will not get the job done. Federer to win for me.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 13:53 by Guest

So Andy lost in four sets. I can't be too judgemental as I was working and missed it but it came as no surprise to me. Andy has been patchy throughout the tournament and patchy is not good enough if tou aspire to beat Roger Federer in fine form. Pleased Andy made a fight of it and hopefully this is another step towards getting fully match fit and competitive again. As for the semis I can see Roger beating Rafa if he can keep this high standard up and in the other semi I have a sneaky feeling Berdych will beat Wawrinka.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum