Dominance of the big four

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dominance of the big four

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Novak-Djokovic-Rafael-Nadal-Roger-Federer-Andy-Murray-dominance-is-truly-special-071811

Good article. I wasn't aware of the French dominance in the 1920's leading to the building of RG.

I am a bit perplexed by the comments. I have nothing against Del Potro and enjoy watching him play but can't really understand why some are saying he should be included in the four rather than AM. I know he has the slam win but, due to injury, he did not have the opportunity to back it up and it can't be said for certain whether he would have been able to. Also a certain member of the current big four holds a 5-1 record against him including three wins on hard courts in the year of the slam victory. Once again I am not anti Del Po but I just think that some commentators are being a little premature. Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Dominance of the big four :: Comments

Post on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 15:23 by Guest

carrieg4 wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Novak-Djokovic-Rafael-Nadal-Roger-Federer-Andy-Murray-dominance-is-truly-special-071811

Good article. I wasn't aware of the French dominance in the 1920's leading to the building of RG.

I am a bit perplexed by the comments. I have nothing against Del Potro and enjoy watching him play but can't really understand why some are saying he should be included in the four rather than AM. I know he has the slam win but, due to injury, he did not have the opportunity to back it up and it can't be said for certain whether he would have been able to. Also a certain member of the current big four holds a 5-1 record against him including three wins on hard courts in the year of the slam victory. Once again I am not anti Del Po but I just think that some commentators are being a little premature. Thoughts?

I read it a little differently carrie - I understood the author to say that the one player capable of breaking into the exclusive club of four appears to be JMDP and that although others have had great runs, eg Soderling and Berdych they cannot bring consistency like Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray do over the year.

For a time before the US 2010, many commentators were saying the fab four should maybe become the fab five, because of JMDP's rapid rise - of course the jury is out because the injury to the wrist may prove to have hindered either his power to the forehand, or his confidence in the power.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 15:47 by Guest

It was more the reader comments I was referring to.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 20:20 by Jubbahey

So this is what Unbiased Educator looks like....

http://community.foxsports.com/senorlobo

With his 'Murray isn't worth the paper he signs' comment.

I find it heartening that many in the US see Murray as a real competitor and view him as a slam contender. Maybe without all the bad press he gets here, they see him for what he's worth, a damn good tennis player.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 20 Jul 2011 - 8:34 by Guest

carrieg4 wrote:It was more the reader comments I was referring to.

Oh, I hadn't read those, but see what you mean carrie. I think the trouble is that most people are completely unaware of the tour and rankings and all the statistics and just think it all comes down to 4 competitions a year. That and we seem to love to knock our sportsmen. Poor Henman took so much abuse when his results at Wimbledon often belied his ranking - we don't deserve either Henman or the brilliant Murray (well not you and I personally! Very Happy, but you know what I mean)

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 16:47 by Jubbahey

Its called complacency in the press.

there are a lot of sheep in the world and they believe everything in the newspapers is a direct replication of how the public masses view our sportsman or anything in life really.
That is the power that the media wields and they know it !

Bandwagoning wums (or suckers to you and me) take this in their stride and regurgitate it ad nauseum as if they are some kind of oracle and have an unprecedented insight into players and their mental machinations.

As we have all seen, this ends up on the forums as the kind of contribution that exudes idiocy and naivety from the more stupid of our brethren, but it also gives us the usual Pratts a chance to use the media as some kind of guarantee that their words have substance.

So we end up with a never ending barrage of abuse directed towards people that they have never met. Which, at the end of the day, is about as morose as one can get considering it is not a private conduit to express your feelings but a public one.

I'm happy here amongst more intelligent posters who know the difference between respect and intimidation.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum