Does the Davis Cup mean anything anymore ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does the Davis Cup mean anything anymore ?

With a fine article by John 'O' about his take on the event...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanoverend/2011/07/the_changing_times_of_the_davi.html

and some good comments after it, it seems that its not only the public that don't get all excited by the DC.

Lets just hope that Murray's hip flexor doesn't give him any gyp, in the weeks up to and including the USO !

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Does the Davis Cup mean anything anymore ? :: Comments

Post on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 12:40 by Guest

Obviously, since the 1930's the importance of the Davis Cup has changed. However, in the UK it is probably more due to the fact of how uncompetitive Britain has been in recent years. In other countries the Davis Cup IS still important as can be seen by the reactions in Serbia etc to their winning the Cup. The UK public don't see it as important owing to our low standing in the event that is all but in any case the Davis Cup will NEVER again be more important than slams as it was (seemingly) in the 1930's.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 14:45 by Guest

After the 1980s, DC gradually lost it's importance as ATP started pushing individual tennis. The Team aspect (unlike Football and national team pride) is no longer there.

Perhaps the group structure needs to change from what it is now to something zonal and local in nature to allow it to be important again.

Another possibility is to have the SF/Fs at Slam venues in rotation and change the schedule.

Slams, ATP Tour, DC put a lot of strain on individual players. Shorter ATP seasons may also help.

Having said that, teams with star players but limited support from other players (and the respective countries) will always this issue of lack of popularity.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 31 Jul 2011 - 15:58 by Jubbahey

Does anyone think that the intermittent schedule is partly to blame for, (even though it is well supported in other countries, numbers aren't that high in comparison to a slam) the low spectator attendance.

I read one comment in that article that having the tournament in one, two weeker event, every two years would be better for players and spectators alike.

I tend to agree with that, spreading the DC around over a prolonged period must stretch the supporters ability to attend. And giving it to different countries is a good idea too, a floating Davis Cup brought to peripheral nations would be great for their economy.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 10:20 by Guest

It's an idea, but I can't help wondering just how many spectators GB v Hungary would get if it took place in the USA!

Or was the idea only mooted for the World Group? Lower groups are just as affected - Andy having to dash back to Glasgow from NY to play this week.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 17 Sep 2011 - 16:24 by Jubbahey

Thats a thought Dec, not many unless there was a magical number of local enthusiasts or expats on hand.

Just heard the end of match report from the commentators, and I was getting quite annoyed with their apparent criticism of Andy's lack of DC attendance figures, quoting Skupski's chat that he is proud to play for GB, which is saying something akin to Murray not wanting to play for patriotic reaons. when are they going to give him a break from it all !!

I mean....Group 1 Euro Zone...yes its a great place to be, but its light years away from Spain and the USA DC teams in the world group.
Just what are they going to expect from him when they begin their assault on the World group playoffs ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 21 Sep 2011 - 19:34 by Guest

We have Slovakia next, home tie again. Wonder where this will be played??? February 10-12.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 21 Sep 2011 - 20:59 by Jubbahey

Glasgow I would presume.

At least thats something I heard someone say during the last DC event. Maybe it was an interview with Leon after they secured the tie.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 10:55 by Guest

Best wishes to the Junior GB team who are through to the final of the Davis Cup. They will play Italy around 5pm tonight. Bodes well for the future of GB tennis. .
(Team are captained by Greg Rudeski)

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 12:50 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:Best wishes to the Junior GB team who are through to the final of the Davis Cup. They will play Italy around 5pm tonight. Bodes well for the future of GB tennis. .
(Team are captained by Greg Rudeski)

Let's hope it does bode well for the future as it must be mighty lonely for Andy being on his own on the tour.

I am sure he is hoping that some players will be able to make it before he has to call it a day.

I think from memory that the likes of France had no fewer than twenty players entered for the recent USO.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 16:54 by Guest

BOO, there does seem to be some healthy competition between the junior lads to drive them upwards. Time will tell if they can become world class on a consistent basis but it would be good if one or two of them can make it while Andy is on the tour as I'm sure having him as a mentor would be fantastic for them.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 6 Oct 2011 - 18:34 by Guest

Didn't get back to post but our young uns did GB proud by winning the Junior Davis Cup on Sunday 2-0. I'm well chuffed for them Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 19:21 by Guest

Davis Cup back in Glasgow February 12. I shall be booking my place pronto Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 21:51 by Jubbahey

So will Murray I presume ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 10:52 by Guest

I hope so Jubba, my seats are 5 rows from the front just behind the teams. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum