US Open - My Preview

View previous topic View next topic Go down

US Open - My Preview

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2011 - 22:04

Hope people don't mind me previewing the US Open which starts next week.

Obviously, the main contenders for the US Open will be the top four seeds as has long been the case however the dynamics have changed greatly. This is how I see the top four and their current game.

Novak Djokovic:- Obviously, the form man of the season and has been largely unbeatable. He seems to hold the psychological edge over Nadal and Federer of late and has grown in stature and confidence as well. However, the Cincinnati Masters shows he is beatable especially if he cannot regain full fitness and confidence in that shoulder. Still the favourite to win.

Rafael Nadal:- Definitely been suffering a crisis of late and not sure what the problem is. Seems to be a blow to his confidence in suffering frequent losses to Novak Djokovic of late and his whole game seems to have slipped a level as a result. Blighted by blisters as well on his hands and so he goes into the US Open low on confidence and with mild injury problem. He needs to rediscover his form or he could face an early exit. A return to form and he'll make the semis.

Roger Federer:- Old father time is catching up with Federer and like Nadal his confidence has been dented in recent months in losses in matches he used to win comfortably. If he can raise his game up a couple of levels from Cincinnati his experience should pull him through and so cannot be discounted. Anything short of a semi for him will be disaster but he'll want to avoid dangerousa opponents in the draw.

Andy Murray:- Consistent in the slams this season he had a nightmare start to the hard court season in North America in Montreal but an improving week at the Cincinnati Masters gave him a big boost confidence wise at just the right time. Considering that thorns in his side Nadal and Federer are now at perhaps their lowest ebb since Andy broke on the scene I'd say this counts as Andy's best chance to date of a slam win but still needs to improve on his Cincinnati displays.

Dark horse who could quite conceivably cause an upset by reaching the semis or beat one of the top four I'd say would be Juan Martin Del Potro, Thomas Berdych (injury permitting), Mardy Fish and perhaps Bernard Tomic.

Fingers crossed for Andy and hopefully he brings his best game to Flushing Meadows.

Craig

Back to top Go down

Re: US Open - My Preview

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2011 - 22:38

If Novak is in the same half as Roger I can't see him beating him so it maybe goodbye Novak.

For me Roger is still favourite with Nadal running a close second.

Having said that I do hope that neither win it and Andy gets his first slam.

All dependant on fitness and watch out for "banana" skins enroute.

As for a dark horse maybe Del Potro but his form off late has been less than impressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 2:55

An interesting read, Craig, thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 13:30

Roger always seems to find a little bit extra, each match he plays the deeper he goes into a slam. He's got the pedigree to get to the final at this event.

Nadal is the dark horse for me, as everyone seems to be writing him off as a sure fire finalist. Like CC says, if he finds form again, he'll be in the final for sure.

Novak?......well, the seeds of doubt were sown last weekend and a shoulder injury should be tough to get right in just 8 days and a further two weeks of possible 5 setters. Its a big ask and I'm not sure he could do it (if the intensity of the injury was kosher of course) in time. Seeing as the USO is his fav event based on attendance in the latter stages of a slam, he should get to the final if fitness isnt an issue.

Murray, prob his best chance to appear in the final and one he is actually capable of winning without finger crossing. Nothing to me stands in his way. Everything as far as I can see is working and all is in order. 1 week to finesse his game, build a bit more stamina, combine this with his recently found confidence, he will be a dangerous opponent to face, prob the most dangerous of all the top 4 atm.

Del Boy et al just don't do it for me on the prospective side of things, can't see any of them doing any damage to the usual suspects.

Prediction: Murray V Federer/Nadal final.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 17:38

I like your summary.....Interesting! I will go with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 22:16

The thing is though I cannot recall Federer ever going into a US Open at such a low ebb. No slam wins for well over a year, losses against players he used to beat for fun and patchy slam record (by his standards) of late. He'll need to turn back the clock to compete and he has yet to show his body is capable of that now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 22:26

As I said in a previous post I still think he will be the danger man.

If Andy was lucky enough to get to the final and to meet him I wonder how it would turn out?

Probably his best chance to date to pick up a slam!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 22:30

Oh he will be dangerous of course but now Federer is more susceptible to surprise defeats against lesser players. A year or so ago it was a given that Fed would make the semis and more than likely the Final but now that is just not the case. If the draw falls kind to him and he avoids real threats he should make the semis but I'mm not so confident saying that than I would have been around a year ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 17:25

Yep, Feds on the cusp of mediocrity or resurgence, his hunger and vitality seem to have withered lately, but he is a slam animal and who knows what he can do given the chance.

Thats the danger and greatness of the man.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 22:14

Murray seems to have paced himself well this year. Expect him to play some good tennis to the final. His first couple of matches are where I expect some anxious moments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 11:51

Yes I also think Andy has prepared himself differently than other years, as he seemed to peak before the US and then went slowly down when competing there.

I so hope he does well this year, and I agree that those first few matches are going to be until he gets used to the conditions and finds his rhythm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 12:10

ChrisMac wrote:Yes I also think Andy has prepared himself differently than other years, as he seemed to peak before the US and then went slowly down when competing there.

I so hope he does well this year, and I agree that those first few matches are going to be until he gets used to the conditions and finds his rhythm.

Funny how most of Andys fans have one of these

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 19:26

Looking at the draw Del Potro in the early rounds looks tough but Andy should be ok.

He has beaten him before at the USO and the h2h also looks good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 19:39

Murray must learn to compose himself at these big events too.

If he can focus his frustrations into his game, like he did at SW19 in the first set, he'll go far. When he wears his heart of his sleeve, his opponent goes up a few pegs on the confidence ladder and begins to overhaul Andy.

If he can play for himself and not the crowd or the media, shut himself out of the limelight and just get on with the job, he's a world class player capable of big wins at a slam.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 21:36

I think it is also key that he doesn't drop slack sets in early round matches as he wants to be as fresh as possible from the Quarter-Finals onwards. Straight sets wins are like gold dust.

As for the draw it isn't too terrifying for Andy and besides we always knew there would be tough challenges along the way. First real test will come in the 4th Round against Wawrinka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 22:31

Yeah, and that is down to his loss of focus many times.

Again, a tough coach, someone who's used their killer instinct to help them focus at pressure points would be good for him. He'd only need that kind of mental coaching for a few months, not a permanent position, but I think it would do him wonders. But if he wins one off his own back, then he may go on to win many, I dont want to think what a completely focused Murray could be capable of.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 22:44

Spot on Jubbahey. If Andy never wins a slam then it won't be because of lack of talent as he has it by the bucketloads. It will be the mental side of the game that has let him down. IF (a big if just now) Andy got to the final and even won a set then it may break off the shackles once and for all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 11:22

No matter what draw Andy has, he has to meet and beat them eventually.
Has Wawarinka an injury?, or maybe I'm getting mixed up with another player. I agree, Andy should not drop slack sets, get in there, get the job done. I don't think the top 3 are at there best at the moment and this is a good chance for Andy. Maybe I should shut up, I don't want to jinx Andy, heaven forbid!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 13:06

I would certainly say that taking everything into consideration it is Andy's best chance to date to win a slam. Since he became a realistic challenger legends such as Federer and Nadal have NEVER been at such a low ebb in form and confidence whilst Djokovic looked to be out on his feet in Cincinnati and said to be carrying a shoulder injury. Still Andy has to turn up with his best A game to have a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum