Who is Andy Murray ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is Andy Murray ?

I have often wondered who Andy Murray really is.

We all know he is a tennis professional, plays for Britain and Scotland and is No4 in the world, ATM.

But is he really the "dour" Scot we have all been told or have read about in the papers.
And why does he attract so much bad press from around the country, surely he is doing a better job at recruiting future British and in particular English tennis stars than the LTA - considering their almost bottomless pit of money, and he has done some good charity work, so why does he get so much derision ?

Jealousy ? could be, but there are many detractors who are rich beyond our normal dreams, or does this come from people who haven't realised a career as successful ? could it come from a racially motivated background, the "Him Scottish, Me English" brigade ?

Whatever the reasons, according to some recent polls and interviews on TV, I am not so sure the media represent this picture quite as accurately as it really is.

People seem to be quite warm to him, I know he was a little provocative in the past and acted the typical teenager growing a second skin etc, but he has matured in the last two years into something resembling a good role model.

Maybe we are all in a transitional period of opinion with regard to Andy's popularity and it may be a change of confidence for him too. Having lost to Nadal recently, it wasn't a walk over and he can walk tall remembering how he took Nadal apart in the 1st set at Wimbledon. I think this confidence will grow as he gets nearer to the US Open and I can see him getting to the final again.

This all bodes well for the public's view of Andy and I'd like to see the media reflect the new trends, rather than spew out the old school habit of knocking him for knocking's worth and actually portray him in the manner in which most people see him.

And maybe we shall get a glimpse of who the real Murray is, if and when the media moguls wake up to the fact that Andy is a far better proposition for them in a good light than the incessant bad crits they award him (particularly after he loses to a better player) every time he sets foot on a court.

Jubbahey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Who is Andy Murray ? :: Comments

Post on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 8:27 by Guest

Checkout:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/765171-10-most-overrated-tennis-players#comments

At least he is number 1 there, but way in front of the other nine as far as achievement is concerned with the exception of ARod.

As you can see its an American article hence the number of "Yanks" in their top 10 lol!

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 18:21 by Jubbahey

A pretty scathing crit if ever there was one. Some of what he says is true, but a lot of it (due to constraints of space) is generalisation, which is unfair to most of the players in that list.

Still, some of his insights are true, although his analysis of Murrays mental game may have been true some months back, but I have seen a marked improvement in that dept lately. Not sure if the turnaround in fortunes against Nadal at Wimbledon was anything to do with a weak mental game, or it was more to do with Nadal suddenly opening up his game. I have seen him do that many times and it might be a premeditated tactic against players like Murray, but I don't think Nadal had much of a chance in the first set, but as soon as he smelt a glimmer of a chance, he took it. Its up to Murray to spot these moments and up his anti too.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 16:08 by Guest

Check out the Statue that was unveiled yesterday at the tennis centre which was the winner of last years tournament.

Do you know who it was!

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ap-201110110455177512629.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 18:54 by Jubbahey

Andy Murrays Dad ??

Gordon Brown the younger ??

Bonnie Prince Charlie ??

Tis a pity as Murray won it last year !

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 19:41 by Guest

Who is it?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 19:51 by Guest

Solerina wrote:Who is it?

Well its supposed to be Andy and was modelled in terracotta, when he saw it I think he was a bit surprised by the likeness (or lack of it) but smiled for the cameras at the photo shoot.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 20:09 by Guest

BOO wrote:
Solerina wrote:Who is it?

Well its supposed to be Andy and was modelled in terracotta, when he saw it I think he was a bit surprised by the likeness (or lack of it) but smiled for the cameras at the photo shoot.

Crumbs! It looks nothing like him!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 20:53 by Guest

The following information was researched and posted by sebadono on MTL.

Andy's H2H to date.

I am sure you will find it interesting:

Played: 423 Matches
Won: 318
Lost: 105

Total players met: 152

Losing H2H: 16 players

Active: 12
Antony Dupuis 0-1, Arnaud Clement 1-2, Dominik Hrbaty 0-1, Fernando Gonzales 1-2, Jean-Rene Lisnard 0-1, Marcos Baghdatis 2-3, Novak Djokovic 4-6, Philip Kohlschreiber 0-1, Rafael Nadal 5-13, Thomas Bellucci 0-1, Tomas Berdych 1-2, Yen-Hsun Lu 0-1

Inactive: 4
Jiri Novak 0-1, Justin Gimelstob 0-1, Marat Safin 0-1, Mario Ancic 2-3

With the exception of the Nadal H2H, there’s every possibility he will be able to turn around most of the players still active. However, the chances of him running up against Dupuis, Hrbaty, Lisnard, or even Gonzales maybe, time is against him as they near retirement, and they join the group of Gimelstob etc of his early career victors he can do nothing about.

Albert Montanes  4-0
Alberto Martin  1-0
Alejandro Falla  1-0
Alessio Di Mauro  1-0
Alex Bogomolov Jr.  2-1
Alexander Peya  1-0
Alexandr Dolgopolov  2-0
Andreas Seppi  4-1
Andrei Pavel  2-0
Andrey Golubev  1-0
Andy Ram  1-0
Andy Roddick  7-4
Antony Dupuis  0-1
Arnaud Clement  1-2
Carlos Moya  2-0
Christophe Rochus  1-0
Daniel Gimeno-Traver  2-0
David Ferrer  4-3
David Nalbandian  4-2
Dmitry Tursunov  5-0
Dominik Hrbaty  0-1
Donald Young  2-1
Dustin Brown  1-0
Eric Prodon  1-0
Ernests Gulbis  5-0
Evgeny Korolev  1-0
Fabio Fognini  1-1
Fabrice Santoro  2-0
Feliciano Lopez  6-0
Fernando Gonzalez  1-2
Fernando Verdasco  8-1
Filippo Volandri  2-2
Florent Serra  1-0
Florian Mayer  1-0
Frank Dancevic  1-0
Frederico Gil  1-0
Gael Monfils  3-2
George Bastl  2=0
Gilles Muller  1-0
Gilles Simon  8-1
Gregory Carraz  1-0
Grigor Dimitrov  1-0
Guillermo Canas  1-0
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez  2-0
Gyorgy Balazs  1-0
Hyung-Taik Lee  1-1
Igor Kunitsyn  1-0
Illya Marchenko  1-0
Ivan Ljubicic  4-3
Ivan Navarro  2-0
Ivo Karlovic  3-0
James Blake  2-1
Jan Hajek  1-0
Janko Tipsarevic  4-3
Jarkko Nieminen  3-0
Jean-Rene Lisnard  0-1
Jeremy Chardy 3-0
Jerzy Janowicz  1-0
Jesse Huta Galung  1-0
Jesse Witten  1-0
Jimmy Wang  1-0
Jiri Novak*  0-1
John Isner  2-0
Jonas Bjorkman  1-0
Jonathan Eysseric  1-0
Jose Acasuso  1-0
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga  5-1
Juan Carlos Ferrero  3-0
Juan Ignacio Chela  7-1
Juan Martin Del Potro  5-1
Juan Monaco  2-2
Julien Benneteau 2-0
Jurgen Melzer  5-0
Justin Gimelstob*  0-1
Karol Beck  1-0
Kenneth Carlsen  1-0
Kevin Anderson  1-1
Kevin Kim  1-0
Kristian Pless  2-0
Laurent Bram  1-0
Leonardo Mayer  1-0
Lleyton Hewitt  1-0
Lukas Dlouhy  1-0
Lukas Lacko  1-0
Marat Safin*  0-1
Marc Gicquel  2-0
Marcel Granollers  2-0
Marcos Baghdatis  2-3
Mardy Fish  4-4
Marin Cilic  6-1
Mario Ancic*  2-3
Max Mirnyi  3-0
Michael Berrer  2-0
Michael Llodra  2-0
Michael Russell  1-0
Michal Przysiezny  1-0
Mikhail Youzhny  2-0
Nicolas Almagro  2-1
Nicolas Mahut  2-0
Nicolas Massu  2-0
Nikolay Davydenko  5-4
Novak Djokovic  4-6
Olivier Rochus  1-0
Pablo Cuevas  1-0
Paolo Lorenzi  1-0
Paradorn Srichaphan  1-0
Paul Capdeville  1-0
Paul Goldstein  1-0
Paul-Henri Mathieu  4-0
Philipp Kohlschreiber  0-1
Philipp Petzschner  1-0
Potito Starace  2-0
Radek Stepanek  4-1
Raemon Sluiter  1-0
Rafael Nadal  5-13
Rainer Schuettler  2-0
Ramon Delgado  1-0
Ricardo Mello  1-0
Richard Gasquet  3-2
Rik De Voest  1-0
Robby Ginepri  3-0
Robert Kendrick  4-0
Robin Haase  1-1
Robin Soderling  3-2
Roger Federer  8-6
Roko Karanusic  1-0
Sam Querrey  4-1
Santiago Ventura  1-0
Sebastien Grosjean  1-0
Sebo Kiss  1-0
Sergio Roitman  1-0
Sergiy Stakhovsky  3-0
Simone Bolelli  3-0
Somdev Devvarman  1-0
Stanislas Wawrinka  5-4
Stefan Koubek  1-0
Taylor Dent  3-0
Thomas Johansson  2-1
Thomaz Bellucci  0-1
Tim Henman  3-1
Tim Smyczek  1-0
Tobias Kamke  1-0
Tomas Berdych  1-2
Tommy Haas  2-1
Tommy Robredo  2-2
Vasilis Mazarakis  1-0
Victor Hanescu  2-0
Viktor Troicki  4-0
Wesley Moodie  1-0
Xavier Malisse  4-0
Yan Bai  1-0
Yen-Hsun Lu 0-1

* Inactive players (Retired)

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 21:48 by Jubbahey

Mein gott, but sebs been busy.

Apart from Nadal, his H2H isnt that bad against the other top players, considering it happened mostly at slams, but I would like to see this list in a years time and I would like to expect many of those figures to be reversed, except of course Nadal and maybe Novak.

I was thinking just the other day, how Murray has slowly increased his stamina and fitness levels over the last 3 yrs and is now making steady progress towards some "real" slam competitiveness, but where Djokovic is concerned I wonder if he did too much too soon ? The same maybe goes for Nadal who pursued some super quick fitness and he paid for it with his knee problem.

I just wonder if this is going to pay Murray premiums when the push comes to the shove during the 4 2012 slams ?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 22:41 by Guest

I haven't added up the totals for players from the various countries but if you take France for instance with all their players his H2H from memory its something like won 28 lost 1 - not bad considering how many players they have and we only have him!

I think similar results from USA, Spain & Italy would also show he is well in front on the H2H's.

Offcourse the detractors on other forums don't look at these positives but are only interested in digging up any negatives, such as what he says in post match interviews or other irrelevant things doh2

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 7:40 by Guest

I notice that since the 'strike leader' myth has been blown out of the water (no apologies from anyo of them either or retractions, they now pounce upon something Murray said about all players getting better this year. Really quite pathetic. Instead of admitting their mistakes and false allegations they sweep it under the carpet and come out with a new stick to try to beat Andy with.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 9:15 by Guest

CaledonianCraig wrote:I notice that since the 'strike leader' myth has been blown out of the water (no apologies from anyo of them either or retractions, they now pounce upon something Murray said about all players getting better this year. Really quite pathetic. Instead of admitting their mistakes and false allegations they sweep it under the carpet and come out with a new stick to try to beat Andy with.

Saw that lol - by hawkeye, surprise surprise!

How would anyone say they had improved considering Federer hasn't won anything and Rafa has been beaten in all his finals except RG.

Offcourse she said there wasn't a link to who said it, surprise again because she probably made it up to attract her fellow wums.

How sad does it get!

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 10:12 by Guest

Check out:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbqvY

Chinese interview, and then have a look at The Andy Murray "Death Smash" link

Very funny!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:28 by Guest

Very Happy v. funny BOO. Though I can't see the 'death smash' link, where is that on the main link you posted?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 13:28 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:Very Happy v. funny BOO. Though I can't see the 'death smash' link, where is that on the main link you posted?

Seems to have disappeard - it was the sketch he did for the last Comic/Sports Relief.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 10:52 by Guest

BOO thats the one with the Outnumbered Cast, I posted the link a while back on this very forum Very Happy Its in the Andy Murray Video Thread in 'Anything Andy'

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 17:09 by Guest

MTS1 wrote:BOO thats the one with the Outnumbered Cast, I posted the link a while back on this very forum Very Happy Its in the Andy Murray Video Thread in 'Anything Andy'

Didn't see it first time round but it will be the same one.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum